Brion

Eh, way too early for this thread to exist. Brion will probably get his chance at some point this season, but let's see how Taylor responds against OSU. Brion is not ready to start a game like that. No one was more disappointed in Taylor than Taylor last night. He did say we'd see Wisconsin again this year, I'd like to see if he can make good on that.

I honestly did not think this was too much of a big deal. Taylor was gutsy last night, even through the failures. Wanted to see them score one for the team at the end. And why throw Brion out there to get his first real meaningful snaps in an environment like this, in a situation like that?

I guess there's some value to it, but I think back to 2004 when Beau Davis was thrown to the wolves against Texas Tech. Did not turn out well! I think it's a move that protects Brion, too.

Experience. If not then, when? You can play that card in every situation. Eventually, you need to sack up and put the kid in.

If we really wanted to score then why didn't we call another timeout when Taylor got stuffed after the first timeout? That didn't make sense to me.

What happens when you put Carnes and he struggles? Do you really want another Cody Green situation on your hands? A guy who comes here with a lot of potential, is put into the game with a ton of pressure on him and high expectations, he struggles and his confidence is blasted away? No thank you.

We aren't good as a football team for one reason right now - we're young. We're pathetically young. We have very little depth at a lot of positions. Great teams can "plug-and-chug" because when seniors graduate, the sophomores and juniors have sat long enough to have things down and are ready to go. Who did we have step in? Sophomores and freshman.

That said, I believe we can win with Martinez. How? Run at least 75% of the time, don't predicate yourselves on the pass, and even if we are down, stick to the run. An up-tempo offense can make a comeback with the run.

I honestly think Brion has a right to feel insulted that he didn't get to play tonight.

I'll simultaneously feel incredibly pissed off and sorry for Brion if Bo continues to let Taylor melt down like this without giving Brion a shot.

I just hope that Beck will quit trying to mold Carnes into an option quarterback like he's trying to mold Martinez into a passing quarterback.

Carnes played option football all through HS. Beck doesn't have to mold him the mold is already set.

T_O_B

G>B>R

• Fire 1

What happens when you put Carnes and he struggles? Do you really want another Cody Green situation on your hands? A guy who comes here with a lot of potential, is put into the game with a ton of pressure on him and high expectations, he struggles and his confidence is blasted away? No thank you.

We aren't good as a football team for one reason right now - we're young. We're pathetically young. We have very little depth at a lot of positions. Great teams can "plug-and-chug" because when seniors graduate, the sophomores and juniors have sat long enough to have things down and are ready to go. Who did we have step in? Sophomores and freshman.

That said, I believe we can win with Martinez. How? Run at least 75% of the time, don't predicate yourselves on the pass, and even if we are down, stick to the run. An up-tempo offense can make a comeback with the run.

This goes both ways. If we are playing terribly and we do not put him in, what does that say about the coaching staff's confidence in him? IMO, that's just as damaging as putting him in and seeing what happens.

bsbch:

Was that comment out of sarcasm or based on you just feeling frustrated.....or do you actually have some info. concerning Brion the way Brion is thinking. Serious question...not disputing what you said..... just wondering

Let him grow. Confident. Option ready. Accuracy. Better presence. Lateral movement with speed.

He might not be ready but neither is Taylor. Throw him at slot. If he doesn't like it. show him the door.

Enough is enough.

Also, expecting Taylor to be your QB til he has exhausted his eligibility will basically have wasted Brion's as well. Give it to the guy who is a natural Qb and let his instincts take over when needed. Taylor doesn't have Qb instincts. You know it, I know it, The world knows it.

I know this is some folks initially reaction, but as bad as it may have looked tonight Brion will be a step backwards.

Well, okay, in the short term he would be. Any new quarterback probably would be. But TMart maxed out his potential in pre-conference play last season when he was a surprise. Once he wasn't shocking and teams adjusted (like South Dakota) he became a bad passer who could occasionally make a big run.

This goes both ways. If we are playing terribly and we do not put him in, what does that say about the coaching staff's confidence in him? IMO, that's just as damaging as putting him in and seeing what happens.

What have we seen the last couple of years, when one quarterback struggles and we put in a less experienced guy? The less experienced guy struggles, we flip-flop him and the older guy, bad tempers flare up in the fan base and one guy (like Green) clearly gets his confidence shot down the toilet.

If you put Carnes in over Martinez, Carnes HAS TO BE the guy and there is absolutely no going back. If you start Carnes and he struggles, and then you switch him and Martinez, you destroy both guys. We can win with Martinez, but we have to play the game the right way.

The way this game started had me feeling pretty good about the possible outcome. Martinez made some good throws. Some very good reads and good decisions. The defense looked great and it looked like we were going to have a very competitive game on our hands. As much as I think Martinez holds this offense back, I have to say, I was impressed in the beginning. This team gets down though, and loses it's confidence and we completely change. We gave up on the run. We started feeling like we had to score and score fast. Once that happened, the run game was gone and Martinez started taking shots. Instead of taking what the defense gave him, he thought he needed to make big plays. We really started to fade away. Then unfortunately, I never thought I would see a Pelini defense quit, but those guys quit. Martinez has got to learn that every play doesn't have to be a home run. If the routes are not developing and WR's are not coming open, then use your safety outlet and dump it to Burkhead. I can't tell you how many times I saw Burkhead all alone out there waving his hands. It would have been an easy 5 yards if Martinez would just quit panicking and dump the ball off to him. Then, you get Burkhead in space, with his moves.....I bet he takes those dump passes for a lot further than just 5 yards. That 3 second clock goes off in Martinez's head, and he freaks out. He starts to scramble or he throws into coverage every time. Even if there is no pressure and every defender is blocked down, he panics and will run right into a sack. It's getting so disgusting to watch, and it's not getting any better.

I put this more on beck. The early running opened up the pass for Taylor to have success early, then he lost hus run portion of the playbook until the last drive.

I agree. Beck is not only calling the plays, which I thought was done pretty poorly. He also decides who goes in there to execute this offense. I don't think Beck is doing a very good job developing Martinez, and apparently he can't develop a guy to take some snaps behind him either.

Were we calling for Lee to replace Ganz after the 08 Missouri A-whipping? Look guys this game went south when we were up by a score and failed twice to go up by 2 scores. If we would have cashed in on one of those opportunities and not forced the ball up in the air, it would hve been a lot closer game.

I'm not gonna flip out about this game like some folks are though. I knew going into this game that we would not win it. I counted this as a Loss all off season and season long. I didn't think we would lose that bad, but it happened. We will get better. These kids will mature and grow. We have to start making some decisions at different positions though. This mixing and matching and changing the starting rotation every week just doesn't make sense to me. Pelini says the jobs are earned in practice. I call bullsh#t on that one. I think some guys get in Pelini's dog house and can't work their way out no matter what they do. Childish sh#t if you ask me. There are some guys on this team that should be on that field and they are not seeing any time.