Brion

Ok real simple for anyone who doesn't feel like thinking for themselves, these are our only 3 options:

1) Let Taylor remain the starter and continue to accept we'll have a pretty good running game that we'll have to grind out games with, along with a mediocre passing attack.

2) Stick in Carnes and alter the offense accordingly. If we need to run a bit less and throw some more, so be it. This would probably make us a notch or two better passing, and a notch or two less effective running team.

3) Let Choi play QB and say f*ck it.

I think our defense is a bigger problem at this point. Our defense has much, much more experience than the offense, and they flat out embarrassed themselves.

We have Rex, Green, Abdullah. Three extremely efficient running backs. Not to mention Legate has been a good threat on fullback traps.

Until this game, I haven't been of this opinion, but our offense is not like last year's. We no longer depend on Taylor to run the ball. If we are in a situation where we need to pound pound pound, rex cat, hand offs to rex, pitches to rex, traps to rex, counters to rex. Oh, and give the ball to rex.

We need a QB who can throw and run. I would be willing to sacrifice Taylor's big play running ability for a consistent passing option.

Maybe that would come with starting Carnes, maybe it wouldn't. I wouldn't mind finding out next week.

Well, Lil Red, since we may not be fielding a decent defense for a while... Should we continue to put Martinez out there when he is clrearly very very near his ceiling as a QB, or throw Carnes out there and try to let him get used to running the show? I think most would agree Carnes has a much higher ceiling as a passer than Taylor, although there's no way to determine that for sure as of yet.

Although Taylor seemed to have improved as a leader on offense... He still throws the rock like one of those "slow children playing" you always get warned about by my favorite signs.

Let him grow. Confident. Option ready. Accuracy. Better presence. Lateral movement with speed.

He might not be ready but neither is Taylor. Throw him at slot. If he doesn't like it. show him the door.

Enough is enough.

Also, expecting Taylor to be your QB til he has exhausted his eligibility will basically have wasted Brion's as well. Give it to the guy who is a natural Qb and let his instincts take over when needed. Taylor doesn't have Qb instincts. You know it, I know it, The world knows it.

I know this is some folks initially reaction, but as bad as it may have looked tonight Brion will be a step backwards.

• Fire 1

Were you guys watching the same game as I was? I would blame our inept LB play a billion times more than some of Taylor's mistakes. 2 of our LBs looked completely out of position and not even close to making plays that they should have been.

Did the LBs throw three terrible picks tonight?

No, but they wiffed on many many tackles. Many were critical 3rd down plays as well...

Agree with Eric. Much too early to call on Brion.

If we have to make a QB change, it has to put the new guy in a position to succeed, because that's for the long term benefit of the team.

Taylor deserves more rope than this. A controversy is no good. It will look like a kneejerk reaction if it doesn't pay off. There would have to be no doubt at all for the switch to happen, which I think would mean Taylor would have to blow a few more chances.

It's a very touchy subject. Issue is, If you "throw him to the wolves" and Carnes really isnt ready (see Cody Green 2009) and you risk permanantly damaging his confidence, which is fragile for most qb's anyway. I did think Brion was more skilled during the spring game so it's obvious is a knowledge issue. We'll see. After seeing tonight, it could be a possibility. At some point you have to start tracking more of how guys perform on the field and not so much in practice (Sam Keller/Joe Ganz, Eric Crouch/Bobby Newcomb,) It just scares me if we throw him out there and he struggles worse, we now have to crawl back to Martinez, who was thrown under the bus, AGAIN (twice last year) and Carnes could be ruined mentally like Cody Green was in 09.

Was Green really ruined mentally, or just not as good as most of us hoped? I see it as the latter.

I don't see any reason not to give Carnes a couple drives in a meaningful game. I mean, it's not like Martinez is playing the '09 Zac Lee role (protecting from big mistakes and letting the defense win games), so I don't see much risk in giving Carnes a shot. I'm not claiming him the next Husker icon, but I definitely think he has more the mind and mechanics of a passing quarterback than Martinez.

• Fire 1

I honestly think Brion has a right to feel insulted that he didn't get to play tonight.

I'll simultaneously feel incredibly pissed off and sorry for Brion if Bo continues to let Taylor melt down like this without giving Brion a shot.

I just hope that Beck will quit trying to mold Carnes into an option quarterback like he's trying to mold Martinez into a passing quarterback.

THIS. Down 31 points and you still have Taylor out there? At what point does Carnes get game reps?

I think this goes back to that double-edged sword people are referring to: If we start Carnes and he struggles, it may ruin his confidence and he could turn into the next Cody Green, but if we refuse to put him in when down 31 points, what does that do for his confidence?

I honestly did not think this was too much of a big deal. Taylor was gutsy last night, even through the failures. Wanted to see them score one for the team at the end. And why throw Brion out there to get his first real meaningful snaps in an environment like this, in a situation like that?

I guess there's some value to it, but I think back to 2004 when Beau Davis was thrown to the wolves against Texas Tech. Did not turn out well! I think it's a move that protects Brion, too.