The Latest Quarterback Thread

Why would Bo say publicly that there's a pretty wide gap between him and Taylor right now?

Well, this one is a no-brainer.

What else should Bo say? "Yeah, there's a QB controversy. Those guys are pretty close. Everyone should question the starter at the first sign of failure, because it probably means we should try out the other guy."

I don't think Brion is better equipped than Taylor to start right now either, but this one should not be a question.

At every other position, Bo would say, "He's close, he's competing, he's pushing for playing time." He hasn't treated the QB position differently historically, why would he now?

Besides, it's not like Bo said, "Brion is doing well, but Taylor is the starter," or "Brion's getting better, but Taylor's still ahead." He said that the gap was "pretty wide."

Sorry if been covered but didnt want to go back thru everything.

Can someone please tell me why does TM lean backwards when he throws?? He shouldnt ever be allowed to throw a football with his technique!! My 4.5 year old daughter even steps into her throws!!!

I have a novel idea. Instead of just competing in practice, lets see TM and Carnes compete in actual live games!! Lets see who steps up when it really matters!

Hardrick, who said he texts Martinez daily, added that Martinez's girlfriend fields a lot of criticism, too, when fans and students don't say it to the quarterback himself. Even Husker teammates pull searches off Google and show him slams and criticisms written by others. Martinez declines to read it.

"He told me he's sick of it," Hardrick said. "These next seven games, he just wants the world to get off his back, so he had to do something about it." Which is? "He's trying to keep everybody happy, trying to keep everybody upbeat," Hardrick said. "He's not holding his head down. He's trying do the extra things and be a lot better on his passing. He's trying to go through his extra reads."

The team is behind Martinez, Hardrick said. "Everybody loves Taylor," he said. "He's the leader of the team. He's the quarterback. We turn our back on him — it'd be pretty bad ... we can't let him feel like he's on an island by himself."

I wonder if Husker fans don't go over the top sometimes, railing on a player who is struggling on the field. After all, Taylor is a just some 20 year old junior in college. A regular guy with a girlfriend and a family. Who happens to be a great athlete.

Hardrick, who said he texts Martinez daily, added that Martinez's girlfriend fields a lot of criticism, too, when fans and students don't say it to the quarterback himself. Even Husker teammates pull searches off Google and show him slams and criticisms written by others. Martinez declines to read it.

"He told me he's sick of it," Hardrick said. "These next seven games, he just wants the world to get off his back, so he had to do something about it." Which is? "He's trying to keep everybody happy, trying to keep everybody upbeat," Hardrick said. "He's not holding his head down. He's trying do the extra things and be a lot better on his passing. He's trying to go through his extra reads."

The team is behind Martinez, Hardrick said. "Everybody loves Taylor," he said. "He's the leader of the team. He's the quarterback. We turn our back on him — it'd be pretty bad ... we can't let him feel like he's on an island by himself."

I wonder if Husker fans don't go over the top sometimes, railing on a player who is struggling on the field. After all, Taylor is a just some 20 year old junior in college. A regular guy with a girlfriend and a family. Who happens to be a great athlete.

Stories like the above don't make me wonder, they prove it.

I don't believe that we would even be having this discussion if:

1. TM took better care of the football and didn't fumble so much (hold on with both hands tight!)

2. TM would throw the football out of bounds if his primary receiver is not open (since he doesn't look for any other receivers)

As it is, these are the two big things he needs to fix. I have seen too many times this season and last where Taylor just heaves the ball into the air and hopes that a receiver comes up with it. He needs to just throw the ball out of bounds or take the sack. I would be OK with his completion percentage being 30% as long as he doesn't throw picks. If you review all of the games this season, he really should have 10+ picks which is just absurd through five games.

I am not saying Brion is the answer

You know who is saying Brion is not the answer? Bo Pelini. And Brion will tell you that, if you ask him. I would invite you to approach him and talk to him - he's very easy to talk to, and he's very personable. He'll tell you who the QB of this team is (here's a hint - he won't tell you it's him).

Next time you see Brion, ask him to tell you how he performs in comparison to Taylor Martinez everyday at practice. Ask him how he performed in comparison to Taylor during the fall scrimmages, especially the final fall scrimmage.

Heck, tell him that you heard he did pretty good against the 1st team D in that final fall scrimmage. I bet you see his face light up, but downplay what happened.

Brion isn't Tommie, who would have been bluntly honest no matter what. Brion especially would never sellout a teammate like that.

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you spoke to Brion?

I'll give him this. He has shown more poise than I would if someone was bothering my girlfriend in school. I would have been involved in an incident that probably would get me suspended.

I think the opposite, Blackshirt.

I think Brion in the game would open up the playcalling. Taylor in the game would - well, should - handcuff the playcalling, maybe more than it has been. We would be able to try different things and try to get the ball to the WRs and RBs more. The downside is, Brion will probably struggle as he gets his feet wet and develops, and fans will call for Taylor back. Even if Bo does sense that a change *could* benefit the team right now, I don't see it as a good idea because of the risk of throwing a young QB in a situation like that. I don't think, given how it has been handled so far (Taylor being the rock solid incumbent), that there is any way to properly make a QB switch unless Taylor completely fails, and fails hard, over the course of several games. That is what it should take for an incumbent as rock solid as Taylor has been, for his backup to be able to enter the job and not be in a crappy situation all around.

For that to happen, though, this season is going to have to get really ugly first. I do not want that at all, and am rooting for the team to continue rallying around Taylor and pull out of this. I want Taylor to carry us through this season as best as he is able. We - and by that I mean the fans and the staff as well - can have an evaluation and a discussion about the QB position in the offseason, IMO.

Good point. I guess we'll see what happens. Maybe all of this will put a chip on Taylor's shoulder and he will play like we know he is capable of. I just wish our Defense was playing better so the Offense could afford to make mistakes.

Damn...it has to suck to be Taylor at times....in class and he gets bashed by some chick that probably doesn't even know how to throw a damn football, "Stop throwing interceptions." C'mon...that's not my definition of being a true husker fan. You support the team through thick and thin. I feel for the kid. I hope he bounces back this week against Ohio St. I know we are going to need a helluva performance from the whole team.

I'll give him this. He has shown more poise than I would if someone was bothering my girlfriend in school. I would have been involved in an incident that probably would get me suspended.

Definitely...he is handling the situation fairly well....I would be hella pissed

This sort of thing happens in every fan base that loves their team. It's not just Husker fans.

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you spoke to Brion?

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you were able to even hear a first hand practice report?

I'm sure you think Brion, or any football player for that matter, would be open with a random near middle aged man who approached him randomly with questions. Heck, I'm going to ask a stranger about his 401k tomorrow and expect him to tell me all about it. ;)

• Fire 2