Our Defense is Broke, Mon...

I'm almost tempted to suggest we bring the two-way player out of retirement and let Enunwa play some defense. Could you imagine that kid roving the middle of the field, over the top? Who knows if he could handle it, but if he could get it down (probably better than Cassidy anyway)... That would be pretty nuts. That kid would punish some offensive players. THAT is exactly the kind of physicality and swagger the Blackshirts are missing right now.

Rex tackled pretty well Saturday night....

lol

I never advocate changing philosophy in the middle of the season. But I think the 2 gap needs to go. Our guys aren't good enough to run it and it gives too much time for the QB to make a play, because we have no pressure from the front 4. Our secondary isn't good enough in coverage as it is, but when the QB and WR have time to make a play, then that puts more pressure on the secondary. We need to dial up the blitzes and get creative with it. Line up David on the end during some plays and let him rush. Also set our front 4 loose and let em rush the gaps. Crick is at his best when that is what he is concentrating on.

We need new guys at LB in place of Fisher. Compton is OK. The LB's are out there thinking and not doing.

Honestly, if it is true that guys aren't applying the coaching in the games then find someone who will. That is your job as a leader/coach. You find someone who can get the job done. I feel like the defense is doing what the offense has been doing for awhile now...trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. Plus it seems like they are just going with who has the most experience and knowledge of the defense...which is something I remember us all talking about with the offense with Watson. There are playmakers on this defense so find them and get them out there. That is why coaches get paid the big bucks. I seriously question the whole competition at every position talk we keep hearing about and I have for a couple of years now, but never said anything.

I would tend to agree. The 2 gap looks brilliant when you have a guy like Suh getting double and triple teamed and still making plays. As good as Crick and others on the D-Line may be, they simply aren't THAT good (few are). With the 2 gap system we are not getting any D-Line pressure on the QB. To get pressure we have to blitz and when we face a well coached team with a good QB....well we have seen how that defense works sans a Suh.

I don't think the D is broke. I think the size of the Baddger OL had something to do with the turn out of the game.

Wagner, 6-6, 320 1st

Konz, 6-5, 315 1st

Oglesby, 6-7, 330 1st

Zeiter, 6-4, 315 1st

Frederick. 6-4, 330 1st

Matthias, 6-5, 330 2nd

Groy, 6-5, 320 2nd

Current, 6-3, 305 2nd

Dehn, 6-6, 335 2nd

Burge, 6-7, 325 2nd

Haverstein, 6-8, 345 3rd

Lewallen, 6-6, 320 3rd

Kondanko, 6-9, 330

Marz, 6-7, 280

Ball, 6-7, 335

Coon, 6-7, 315

Team ave, 6-6, 322

Starters 6-5.5, 322

T_O_B

G>B>R

I don't think the D is broke. I think the size of the Baddger OL had something to do with the turn out of the game.

Wagner, 6-6, 320 1st

Konz, 6-5, 315 1st

Oglesby, 6-7, 330 1st

Zeiter, 6-4, 315 1st

Frederick. 6-4, 330 1st

Matthias, 6-5, 330 2nd

Groy, 6-5, 320 2nd

Current, 6-3, 305 2nd

Dehn, 6-6, 335 2nd

Burge, 6-7, 325 2nd

Haverstein, 6-8, 345 3rd

Lewallen, 6-6, 320 3rd

Kondanko, 6-9, 330

Marz, 6-7, 280

Ball, 6-7, 335

Coon, 6-7, 315

Team ave, 6-6, 322

Starters 6-5.5, 322

T_O_B

G>B>R

So do we concede to Wisconsin and just let go of the fact they rolled us because they're O-Line is comprised of huge farm boys? We can't, and we have to figure out a way to stop them should we play them again. Some way, somehow. If TCU can handle NU damn well better be able to.

Also, giving up big points to Washington and Fresno State had nothing to do with Wisconsin's line. But I see your point... They big.

First, the players need to keep their head up, wrap up, and drive through the tackle. Tackling is the foundation of any good defense and I see so many misses where the RB is stopped behind the LOS but the defender just bounces off or misses them totally because their head is down. Look at LSU or Alabama this year. You don't see many missed or broken tackles.

You can move players wherever the hell you want, but if the the defense can't tackle, it won't matter. Fix that first, then worry about he lineup.

• Fire 1

First, the players need to keep their head up, wrap up, and drive through the tackle. Tackling is the foundation of any good defense and I see so many misses where the RB is stopped behind the LOS but the defender just bounces off or misses them totally because their head is down. Look at LSU or Alabama this year. You don't see many missed or broken tackles.

You can move players wherever the hell you want, but if the the defense can't tackle, it won't matter. Fix that first, then worry about he lineup.

Bo really stressed the fundamentals in yesterday's presser and I expect this will be a major point of emphasis all week in practice. However, we have guys playing way out of position on D and there needs to movement on that front as well.

Bo really stressed the fundamentals in yesterday's presser and I expect this will be a major point of emphasis all week in practice. However, we have guys playing way out of position on D and there needs to movement on that front as well.

I have a feeling the issue with having guys way out of position is really due to what Bo mentioned, young players still picking up the scheme and learning to trust it and play aggressively at the same time.

The unfortunate part about that is... we only have a limited number of guys to plug into spots and see how they react. Some might have better instincts than others and thus react better and get caught out of position less, but perhaps we just don't have the dogs right now to be able to plug in and instantly improve the situation. As rough as it might be, we might just have to stick with our young guys in certain spots right now until they get more experienced and grow into good players who trust themselves and make plays.

I don't think their size had anything to do with our problems. Rewatching the game on BTN we seem to hold the line well and rarely if ever got pushed back. The real problem seems to be the fill from the LBs or their over pursuit and a general lack of tackling by all. I think the front seven would have no problem playing a physical game with anyone, but they need to follow the plays properly keeping their eyes up and WRAP UP. I do think a switch to one gap would help us out, but I'm not sure it's a good idea 5 games in. I think the line can continue with the personel they have, but somethinh has to change with the LBs (obviously not David, Compton has been average). Give the others guys a shot. If I recall they didn't look like they would be a fish out of water if we plugged them in early on. If anything we would simply be back where we started if they don't pan out and atleast know our depth.

As for the secondary that's just confusing to me. It's hard to judge from just tv views, but if we are going to play off coverage then we are going to give up the short routs, that's just a given against a good QB. And thats fine to an extent because we have mixed in some press, but if we're going with the bend don't break attitude the safties can not bite like they did and give up the big plays. They must keep everything infront of them. I think the CBs just need experience and the right combinations which is probably why we've seen so many different ones. But unfortunatly I think no matter what the co,bination is it's just going to tale time.

As far as safties I think Stafford could be an option at LB and in that case PJ and Osborne would seem to be a good fit for the safties. They both have experience and from what little I've seen of them this year they are always flying to the ball. (and why isn't Osborne playing? I know people said he pissed Bo off but is there really any truth to it, and if so what did he do?)