What's the concensus on Bo in huskerville?

Duffman

Obviously we are a little biased but its rare that any Iowa fans think Bo as anything other than a stark raving lunatic. Clearly dude's emotional and I get that, but whats the sense around there? Any concern that he's over the top, or that players don't enjoy playing for him? From an outsider it kinda looked like some players have sort of tuned him out.

Personally I think that unlike the NFL college athletes have to enjoy playing for.someone to excel. They don't necessarily have to like the HC all the time but they have to enjoy the experience.

As far as I can tell, Bo has calmed it down a lot. Yeah, he gets after the players now and then, but he's behind them 100%. It's not like he physically and verbally abuses his players like Mangino (allegedly) did at Kansas. He just gets fired up.

I don't know if any of the players have tuned him out or not, but I've never gotten the impression that any of them have any major issues with him.

If you didn't see yesterday's press conference...look it up. Bo was simply at his best yesterday. He has acted much more like a Head Coach then in his previous years, and I can completely understand that. He has been learning on the job, and yes his first 3 years as far as a public relations stand-point were not his best. Last year's altercation on the sidelines with Taylor certainly didn't help his or Nebraska's image. But this year he is definitely acting like the CEO of this team and it is a welcome sight. And as the years go on he will only continue to get better in this role.

• Fire 1

Still.....

....on any other team where the both the offense and the defense aren't performing up to expectations, where penalties and turnovers are a problem, where the team plays skittish in big games and where talented athletes are simply not executing well....

....you look at the head coach.

Taylor Martinez did not lose that game for Nebraska. He's just this year's Shawn Watson. Who was last year's Bill Callahan. And Nebraska fans don't want to admit there might be a top down problem with the guy in charge of motivating every player, supervising every assistant coach and deciding who plays. We're too vested in Bo Pelini not being Bill Callahan so we'll try to blame everyone but the man in charge.

Blaming the media for making Bo less of the coach he needs to be?

That's a new one on me.

And quite a stretch.

• Fire 1

Bo is a helluva coach, and we are lucky to have. I do not get the feeling at all, that any of the players have tuned him out. I think Bo is like a strict father, who wants the best for you. Bo is one of the best, and brightest young minds in the game. Saban is very similar to Bo, and he seems to do alright down in Alabama. We'll be fine, anyone that is calling for Bo's head, has lost their own.

• Fire 1

I could not say one way or the other, I do not know a single player. I do not know anyone on the staff. I do know that Coach Osborne loves him. Perleman not so much is my guess.

I know he has turned a lot of fans away from him. My wife is a Nebraska fan, and does not like Bo at all. And that comes from his actions on National TV. I personally thing he is good person, a little out of control, and in way over his head. His only saving is that he has Coach Osborne here to keep him in check and teach him the right way.

But I will agree with Guy, he is responisible for Wisconsin, no one else. Bad play calling, poor execution, lack of fire, motivation, and developing the killer instinct in the players. The last truly surprises me.

I think Bo has another two years, no matter how this year goes. After those two years, we will know if he is as good as some think and most hope, or if he is just a very good DC.

My money is on him getting better, righting the ship and making a run at the B1G this year.

My opinion on Bo, is that he is not a great "Head Coach". Like previously stated we will continue to blame players (Taylor) or assitant coaches (Watson/Gilmore) instead of pointing the finger were it belong which is at the man in charge. Other than the first year here, i dont think there has been much inprovement over that last 3 years. I could care less how he acts on the sideline, JUST STOP PLAYING BAD 6 GAMES A YEAR!!! Penalties, turnovers, have been an issue since he got here and not a one of those have ever been resolved. I dont like how he hires well payed assistant coaches that are basically his buddies, this isnt Youngstown St. Some of the assistants that he has i think are great but some such as (Cotton) i dont understand how they earn a check, Now like i stated this is all my opinion, i dont see practice, nor do i claim to know anyone areound the program personally. But i am sure this will get people all mad and sad. With all that being said I do think Pelini is a good defensive minded coach, and do think he can get the job done in time. However i would just like to see him develop more as a head coach.

GO BIG RED!!!!

Obviously we are a little biased but its rare that any Iowa fans think Bo as anything other than a stark raving lunatic. Clearly dude's emotional and I get that, but whats the sense around there? Any concern that he's over the top, or that players don't enjoy playing for him? From an outsider it kinda looked like some players have sort of tuned him out.

Personally I think that unlike the NFL college athletes have to enjoy playing for.someone to excel. They don't necessarily have to like the HC all the time but they have to enjoy the experience.

Iowa has a lot of terribly uninformed and obscene fans. I only have my personal experience of living in Iowa city and passing by Kinnick every day. I has talking football to 95% of them. Actually i've found Illinois and Notre Dame fans in Iowa city who are much more reasonable and pleasant to talk to. I'll be right up front though. Gameday in Iowa is a sad second place to Iowa. Even the bars like spo co and airliner and brothers get lined with fair weather fans.