Post practice Bo interview. jeez

DaveH

I have absolutely no problem with the way Bo reacted and the way he handled the media today. That presser was going fine with fair questions being asked pertaining to the game itself. The reporter who was stuttering over himself and who asked the question at the end that got Bo so heated was Jon Nyatawa from the Omaha World Herald. Now I have liked and respected much of Jon's articles and his reporting in the past, but his last question today to Bo in my opinion was completely out of bounds from a journalistic point of view. I think Bo had every right to react to that question in the manner in which he did.

Look everyone, Bo understands that the media is the fans only real inside access to the goings on of the program...he get's that part. When Bo gets mad is when the media starts asking questions that do not pertain to the game of football itself and when they try to create a story that isn't even there.

Maybe I am wrong on this, and if so please correct me fairly, but I truly had no problem with Bo's reaction to the media today at all. If anything it is the media that needs to act more professional.

Carry on Husker fans....

this is relevant for so many reasons. first, here comes the duke gonna give us a lesson (that i agree with). second, there's bo, struggling with his emotions until they come out in the most unexpected way. finally, it is just really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqCKQiCIJWg&noredirect=1

• Fire 1

I think both parties should handle themselves better...Bo and the media...

They should, however, I think the media just asks Bo those questions in that way just to make him react that way. It's like your big brother picking on you just because he knows you'll react by crying or yelling, which gets you in trouble with your parents. Meanwhile your brother says he did nothing while everyone yells at you.

yep

Bo needs to chill a bit more too, but trying to be a bit empathetic, I would prob. get pissed to if the media was tearing down my QB all week after a tough loss for your team. Bo bust's his ass along with the players day in and day out and he has to answer garbage questions. He should've took them in stride, but he didn't. It doesn't make Bo a bad person or coach, this is frustrating time for not only his team, but us Husker fans. I stand for Bo and I'm behind him.

I have absolutely no problem with the way Bo reacted and the way he handled the media today. That presser was going fine with fair questions being asked pertaining to the game itself. The reporter who was stuttering over himself and who asked the question at the end that got Bo so heated was Jon Nyatawa from the Omaha World Herald. Now I have liked and respected much of Jon's articles and his reporting in the past, but his last question today to Bo in my opinion was completely out of bounds from a journalistic point of view. I think Bo had every right to react to that question in the manner in which he did.

Look everyone, Bo understands that the media is the fans only real inside access to the goings on of the program...he get's that part. When Bo gets mad is when the media starts asking questions that do not pertain to the game of football itself and when they try to create a story that isn't even there.

Maybe I am wrong on this, and if so please correct me fairly, but I truly had no problem with Bo's reaction to the media today at all. If anything it is the media that needs to act more professional.

Carry on Husker fans....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqCKQiCIJWg&noredirect=1

Ha ha! Thank you sd'sker! I needed a good laugh today :D

Just watched the interview. Totally get where Bo is coming from, however facepalm.

Bo Pelini and Taylor Martinez do not have the faintest concept of the kind of criticism which will emerge if Taylor and the defense continue to play like they are. This week will seem like a good dream. Bo's brother was working the sunshine pump about the defense in the offseason and it was anecdotally Bo's personal call to put Taylor in the starting position last year--a position from which he has not relented since, right or wrong. Beck was also Bo's call, and he even triple downed on that by admitting he could have landed about any hire he wanted to run the offense. In his first big game out, Beck dials up a plan that would have given Aaron Rodgers a sore arm.

They're bending at the first breeze when a potential hurricane of criticism is just over the horizon, the kind of unrelenting onslaught that will only be fueled by the petulant displays from both the alleged 'leader' Martinez and the HC himself. Maybe it blows another direction on some other program. But Taylor's mastered the art of the turnover to a scary degree, and this year there's no blackshirts to bail him out.

• Fire 2

The fan/media - coaches/players relationship is a two-way street. How do you expect Bo to react when the fans/media have been attacking his players' integrity all week long?

Taylor was a spoiled little intitled kid at the news conference. "We are putting last week behind us." "What you said." Nothing from him said, I played poorly, I am sorry, I am going to try to get better to help my team.

Ohhh.....it sucks Tmart isn't as "sensitive" as you. No doubt he should have hugged a tree and sang "Kum-Bye-ya" with sobbing, moaning & crying...interjecting "I'm soOOooOo sorry" here and there.

Oh yes, Tmart is a Neanderthal and a big meanee weanie!!

This guy was applauded up and down the nation for his efforts to take care of his players. What Bo did could very well be a pretty sweet recruiting tool. Bo has the players' and coaches' backs. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

Well, unless you're name is Brion Carnes. In Bo's attempt to take up for Taylor, he took a few uncalled for shots at Brion and his ability which was completely unnecessary. The whole "wide gap" between Taylor and Brion, along with telling reporters "hell no" in regards to if he thought of playing Brion in the Wisconsin game.

Definitely uncalled for, and it didn't go unnoticed.

Bo needs to chill out though. We have a QB who has thrown more INTs than TDs this year, and has fumbled 9 times this season, while somehow losing none of them. But he is somehow acting as if it is pure blasphemy that people would criticize Taylor for doing this when he should be protecting the ball.

Bo just better keep winning, because the minute he really begins to struggle, the media will more ruthless on him than anyone else. They aren't going to forget what they have had to put up with over these past 4 years from him.

I like how the calls to bench Taylor Martinez and the criticism of his play by the fans and the media is fair game, comes with the territory, part of the deal, etc, but when the HEAD FRICKIN COACH weighs in with the opposite opinion, it's "uncalled for."

This whole situation has become hysterical.

• Fire 1

I like how the calls to bench Taylor Martinez and the criticism of his play by the fans and the media is fair game, comes with the territory, part of the deal, etc, but when the HEAD FRICKIN COACH weighs in with the opposite opinion, it's "uncalled for."

You don't find it the least bit comical that the HEAD FRICKIN' COACH, the same guy who everyone here talks about so fondly of being a 'players coach', would dig at one of his players like that to protect another one?

I mean, if Brion wanted, he could easily speak up and have alot to say about the situation, what promises Bo has broken, and things of that nature. But Brion has been brought into this by others, all the while that kid has kept his mouth shut, done his work and had absolutely zero to say about anything. But yet our HEAD FRICKIN' COACH brings him in it and digs at the kid while at the same time getting furious with anyone who talks about Taylor? This is from the 'leader' of our program? And you find no issue with that?

I, nor any single one of these 'arm chair QBs', or any of the 'people who sit on their hands' have to answer to 100+ kids and a team full of coaches and trainers who look to him for how they should act and treat others every single day. I, nor any of those others, are the ones getting paid millions to be the person of example for an entire fan base. Bo is that guy, and maybe he should practice what he preaches instead of worrying about what people say or write.

• Fire 1

This is what Brion said:

"For me, I was just waiting for my name to be called. That was it. I was waiting patiently. I was still supporting my teammates, hyping them up, 'The game isn't over yet.' I was doing my job as a back-up and as a teammate, trying to keep their heads up, but just waiting for Coach to call my name. But as everybody could see, he didn't call my name. I wasn't, like, upset about it because the coaches know best."

Asked if he was a patient person, he said: "Yes, I am. My grandfather always told me to be patient. My grandfather, he's like my dad, he pretty much raised me when I was younger, and he always told me to stay patient. That's what I'm doing . . . and humble."

See any of my other posts about any of Bo's contact with the media lately and you will see I am practically a Bo fanboy.

But Bo can come out and stick up for his starting QB without taking digs at Brion. And the digs haven't just been the words, either. Brion has had plenty of chances this year - Wisconsin game aside (and I would agree with the call not to send him in that game) - to get quality playing time. Instead, he has hardly ever gotten in, and when he does, gets nothing but option calls?

I don't think the "wide gap" is meant so much as a dig to Brion though, as it is a praise for Taylor. The "hell no" is pretty abrasive, but maybe it's being misinterpreted. I mean, I would not have put in Brion either, and I am a huge Brion cheerleader. I don't want what happened to Beau Davis happen to him. With more knowledge of the situation, the couple of thigns Bo said could well seem a lot worse than it actually presents itself to the public. Hopefully Brion keeps his head up throughout this. Nothing kills a guy's chances more than a transfer.

I like how the calls to bench Taylor Martinez and the criticism of his play by the fans and the media is fair game, comes with the territory, part of the deal, etc, but when the HEAD FRICKIN COACH weighs in with the opposite opinion, it's "uncalled for." This whole situation has become hysterical.
You don't find it the least bit comical that the HEAD FRICKIN' COACH, the same guy who everyone here talks about so fondly of being a 'players coach', would dig at one of his players like that to protect another one? I mean, if Brion wanted, he could easily speak up and have alot to say about the situation, what promises Bo has broken, and things of that nature. But Brion has been brought into this by others, all the while that kid has kept his mouth shut, done his work and had absolutely zero to say about anything. But yet our HEAD FRICKIN' COACH brings him in it and digs at the kid while at the same time getting furious with anyone who talks about Taylor? This is from the 'leader' of our program? And you find no issue with that? I, nor any single one of these 'arm chair QBs', or any of the 'people who sit on their hands' have to answer to 100+ kids and a team full of coaches and trainers who look to him for how they should act and treat others every single day. I, nor any of those others, are the ones getting paid millions to be the person of example for an entire fan base. Bo is that guy, and maybe he should practice what he preaches instead of worrying about what people say or write.

I didn't take what Bo said about Brion as a "dig." Only someone who is no longer objective concerning the situation would look at what Bo said about Brion as a dig.

Bo said that Brion is getting better, but that there is a wide gap between him and Taylor. Oh, SNAP! The head coach just said that his starting QB is better than his backup QB. Stop the presses!

When asked if he was going to put in his backup QB in place of the starter during the biggest game of the year when his team was down by 30 points, he said, "Hell, no." There he goes again, not understanding the role of "backup" and "starter." Of course, the media didn't ask him if he considered replacing Rex Burkhead with Ameer Abdullah in the second half. It's a good thing too, because finding out that his head coach didn't think he was as good as Rex quite yet might have really hurt Ameer's feelings. Of course, it only would have hurt his feelings if he hadn't already gotten the idea of what his coaches thought by reading the depth chart.

I'm sure all of his is null and void though, since of course Brion is truly the better player. Bo just can't see that because he has a man-crush on Taylor and isn't competitive enough to want to start the players who will give him the best chance at winning. Either that, or Bo just doesn't know very much about football.

In all seriousness, the "Hell no" had less to do with a commentary on Brion's abilities, and more to do with, "You stay the course, you don't panic and screw with your plan like that. Remember when I did it against Texas last year and it didn't work at all?"

• Fire 1

You don't find it the least bit comical that the HEAD FRICKIN' COACH, the same guy who everyone here talks about so fondly of being a 'players coach', would dig at one of his players like that to protect another one?

I mean, if Brion wanted, he could easily speak up and have alot to say about the situation, what promises Bo has broken, and things of that nature. But Brion has been brought into this by others, all the while that kid has kept his mouth shut, done his work and had absolutely zero to say about anything. But yet our HEAD FRICKIN' COACH brings him in it and digs at the kid while at the same time getting furious with anyone who talks about Taylor? This is from the 'leader' of our program? And you find no issue with that?

I, nor any single one of these 'arm chair QBs', or any of the 'people who sit on their hands' have to answer to 100+ kids and a team full of coaches and trainers who look to him for how they should act and treat others every single day. I, nor any of those others, are the ones getting paid millions to be the person of example for an entire fan base. Bo is that guy, and maybe he should practice what he preaches instead of worrying about what people say or write.

Just maybe you should show one ounce of proof before spewing out internet rumors about our HEAD FRICKIN' COACH?

Just watched the interview. Totally get where Bo is coming from, however facepalm.

Bo Pelini and Taylor Martinez do not have the faintest concept of the kind of criticism which will emerge if Taylor and the defense continue to play like they are. This week will seem like a good dream. Bo's brother was working the sunshine pump about the defense in the offseason and it was anecdotally Bo's personal call to put Taylor in the starting position last year--a position from which he has not relented since, right or wrong. Beck was also Bo's call, and he even triple downed on that by admitting he could have landed about any hire he wanted to run the offense. In his first big game out, Beck dials up a plan that would have given Aaron Rodgers a sore arm.

They're bending at the first breeze when a potential hurricane of criticism is just over the horizon, the kind of unrelenting onslaught that will only be fueled by the petulant displays from both the alleged 'leader' Martinez and the HC himself. Maybe it blows another direction on some other program. But Taylor's mastered the art of the turnover to a scary degree, and this year there's no blackshirts to bail him out.

well said X........this interview will seem like small taters if this level of play continues.........if Beck is smart, TM throws no more than 8-10 passes on Saturday.

if they implode and lose to OSU, i can see Bo just canceling all interviews......with his temper, it would be best for all of us.

First of all, yes, I am a first time poster, but am someone who has read this board (and others) religiously for years to get info, to keep up with, and just be amongst other rabid husker fans year round. Time allows me to read, but to not post, so i have refrained this whole time. I am not a troll, but am someone who is ready to post after finally reading enough of this BS. First I have to ask, what makes a Husker fan? Is it someone who openly supports their team through good times(90's) and bad(2000's), no matter the criticisim they recieve at work, from rival fans, etc., or someone who can sit in their living room and badmouth the team, coaches and whoever else that doesn't live up to their expectations, all while not having to show their true face or name? I am all for an active debate on topics such as defensive alignments, offensive plays, the gameplan for upcoming opponents, etc., but to continuously and negatively spew the bs that has come about on this board and many others is starting to show our true colors as the spoiled and entitled must win society that we have become.

I remember the years of Osborne and how he struggled to win the bowl games against speedier opponents. I remember the ones in which a call here or there decided a championship, or just another top five finish. The thing that set it apart from today, was that fact that the criticism was done in local coffee shops, in the stadium, or at someone's home during the game.....IN PERSON. If you criticized, everyone saw who it was and you had to back up your claims. Now, anyone can come on here and spew hate and criticisim knowing that no one will know who they are and that they cannot not held accountable for it, which is unlike what the players and coaches have to answer to, because they cannot hide. If you yelled at a quarterback in the past at a game, they could see who it was, as could several hundred fans around you, thus keeping things in check. Now, that same person can Boldly(insert sarcasm) comment on here and remain anonymous.

I am as frustrated as anyone and as competitive as anyone when it comes to not only Husker football, but life, but I have realized that negativity does nothing but break down people and solves absolutely nothing. If you have kids, you should know this. Speaking of which, those of you criticizing, would you be doing and saying the same things about replacing the quarterback, safety, etc,. if it was your son, or would you want to encourage and support them to get better? So i go back to my original question, What makes a true Husker fan? Only you can answer that i guess, but please think about it, because these players and coaches have enough to worry about week in and week out from the other teams and fans throughout the country and national media, without having to also deal with it from their own.....so called fanbase.

Ok, I'm done, I hope some of you think hard about this and begin actually supporting the team and not being part of the problem. I for one will be at the game tomorrow, standing, cheering and supporting my team, because they need it, and as a fanbase, so do we.........

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Bo spoke to the press for just under five minutes after practice today, giving injury reports and several other tidbits, but the Omaha World Herald is focusing mostly on the part we're talking about here. Chatelain just tweeted about it:

dirkchatelain Dirk Chatelain

Thoughts on Bo Pelini post-practice session? tinyurl.com/4386s6x

The story isn't the reporters, or how they feel about Bo's demeanor toward them, or anything of the sort. The story right now should be about Ohio State. Instead we have to talk about the press, and how Bo treats the press, and if this is OK, and blah blah blah blah blah.

They should focus more on reporting the news instead of making themselves part of the news.