Official Why We Beat MSU Thread

Here are my keys to the game (as if they're different from any other game...):

1. Nebraska has to play fundamentally sound and mistake-free on defense. Up until the Minnesota game, we've had too many busts and missed assignments. If Nebraska plays within their scheme and tackles, they'll be OK on that side of the ball.

2. Nebraska has to win the turnover battle. Taylor has to protect the ball when he's running, and he has to put the ball in safe places in the passing game. Meanwhile, the defense is going to need to make a couple plays to give our offense a short field against MSU's stout defense.

3. Nebraska has to run the ball effectively. Against Ohio State, Martinez came out completing 10 of his first 10 passing attempts. It didn't matter in that first half because Nebraska was not picking up anything on the ground. Against Michigan State, Nebraska probably won't be able to afford to wait until halftime to make the adjustments needed to move the ball on the ground.

I might be proven wrong on Saturday, but at this point I'm not convinced that Michigan State can physically push around Nebraska the way they think they can. At times last Saturday, Wisconsin ran the ball at will, picking up chunks of yardage at a time, and I think Nebraska has a stronger running game than Wisconsin does as long as Martinez doesn't make huge mistakes in the passing game. If Nebraska can keep from beating themselves, there's no reason they can't win this game.

Here are my keys to the game (as if they're different from any other game...):

1. Nebraska has to play fundamentally sound and mistake-free on defense. Up until the Minnesota game, we've had too many busts and missed assignments. If Nebraska plays within their scheme and tackles, they'll be OK on that side of the ball.

2. Nebraska has to win the turnover battle. Taylor has to protect the ball when he's running, and he has to put the ball in safe places in the passing game. Meanwhile, the defense is going to need to make a couple plays to give our offense a short field against MSU's stout defense.

3. Nebraska has to run the ball effectively. Against Ohio State, Martinez came out completing 10 of his first 10 passing attempts. It didn't matter in that first half because Nebraska was not picking up anything on the ground. Against Michigan State, Nebraska probably won't be able to afford to wait until halftime to make the adjustments needed to move the ball on the ground.

I might be proven wrong on Saturday, but at this point I'm not convinced that Michigan State can physically push around Nebraska the way they think they can. At times last Saturday, Wisconsin ran the ball at will, picking up chunks of yardage at a time, and I think Nebraska has a stronger running game than Wisconsin does as long as Martinez doesn't make huge mistakes in the passing game. If Nebraska can keep from beating themselves, there's no reason they can't win this game.

In response to #2:

Gloves.

I also forgot to mention in my above post that I noticed in one of the Huskers.com practice report videos from this week, Rex Burkhead took a snap from under center, and appeared to run the option... We might be in for some fun twists on offense this Saturday...

Just plays into my thoughts of, "making them react to us"

I also forgot to mention in my above post that I noticed in one of the Huskers.com practice report videos from this week, Rex Burkhead took a snap from under center, and appeared to run the option... We might be in for some fun twists on offense this Saturday...

It would throw the Spartan D off, from the standpoint that a Wildcat QB is easier to identify from the shotgun instead of under center. Interesting.

I was reading through the ESPN blog about the game and someone stated that Nebraska needed to keep the game low scoring and have the secondary step up big time to win. I see the secondary point, but i think we are better off with a high scoring game. We definitely have the advantage if this game turns into a shootout with both defenses not being able to stop the opponents offense. Thoughts?

It would throw the Spartan D off, from the standpoint that a Wildcat QB is easier to identify from the shotgun instead of under center. Interesting.

Yeah but, if we know about this on a message board, it's not really a secret anymore....Diversionary tactic?

I don't really see what having Rex run the option instead of Martinez gives us as far as a fun twist. Whether it's Rex or TMart, the D has to be concerned about the QB running the ball. I trust Rex to throw about as much as I trust Martinez.

I don't really see what having Rex run the option instead of Martinez gives us as far as a fun twist. Whether it's Rex or TMart, the D has to be concerned about the QB running the ball. I trust Rex to throw about as much as I trust Martinez.

It would be to see how MSU aligns to it. It is not super uncommon, you want to see how the other team will react. Beck, at his base, is a high school coach. High school coaches love running the same play from tons of different formations instead of tons of different plays, that tend to confuse kids.

My guess and this is just a guess. If Rex is under center then T-mart is either split wide or off the field, which means Beck wants to see what formation and package (players) MSU will bring in the game for that situation. Will they bring in a standard 4-3, will they take a LB off the field? Will they bring in another DT?

I think Nebraska's defense could play a good game tomorrow. Cousins not being able to pick up those 3rd and longs with is legs is huge. That's one thing that's really been hurting our defense this year. I don't think our secondary is great or anything, but I think they're playing a lot better than they were around the time we went to Madison. Dennard has his legs back underneath him, and it looks like we finally have a #2 CB. Maybe it's just me, but I think Stafford has been playing a lot better too. I really don't see Michigan State's WRs being any better than Wisconsin's.

What it will come down to is our offense vs their defense. If they blitz us a lot we can kill them with heavy doses of option and swing passes to Burkhead. If Beck calls a good game and we limit mistakes there's no reason at all we won't win. I hope Beck is stubborn with the running game, it will open up eventually. It has all season. Just don't try to turn Taylor Martinez into Dan Marino again.

I think Nebraska's defense could play a good game tomorrow. Cousins not being able to pick up those 3rd and longs with is legs is huge. That's one thing that's really been hurting our defense this year. I don't think our secondary is great or anything, but I think they're playing a lot better than they were around the time we went to Madison. Dennard has his legs back underneath him, and it looks like we finally have a #2 CB. Maybe it's just me, but I think Stafford has been playing a lot better too. I really don't see Michigan State's WRs being any better than Wisconsin's.

What it will come down to is our offense vs their defense. If they blitz us a lot we can kill them with heavy doses of option and swing passes to Burkhead. If Beck calls a good game and we limit mistakes there's no reason at all we won't win. I hope Beck is stubborn with the running game, it will open up eventually. It has all season. Just don't try to turn Taylor Martinez into Dan Marino again.

That's the numero uno requirement. Don't even think about it Tim.......

GBR!!

Just don't try to turn Taylor Martinez into Dan Marino again.

That seems like the big unknown in the game; can MSU's defense force Martinez to be a pocket passer. If Nebraska can run through them like Wisconsin did on several drives last week then MSU could be in for a long day.

Question - is Nebraska going to run more for the corners or between the tackles?