Magic Gloves

Martinez wearing gloves during the game is interesting. Is this in response to the frequent fumbling? Colder weather of the B1G? Or is it an effort to improve the passing?

I believed that he threw the ball quite well against Minnesota. His receivers flat dropped good passes on a couple of occasions and he seemed to be throwing the ball in front of people as opposed to behind them.

Statistically TMart threw the ball well. His receivers had a lot of drop but they also bailed him out more than a couple times. There were some passes thrown on the money that were dropped but there we numerous passes thrown that the receivers made spectacular attempts to get to.

I know the Marlowe catch in the third was a superhero-type grab, but what others were tough catches?

The only catch I saw that he really didn't throw well was the Marlowe catch, that was ridiculous, great catch. He did overthrow at least two long passes that I saw, but those passes weren't "bad." Two or three other passes were either dropped by Bell or Turner, those were possible TD passes so those hurt. I think he's wearing those gloves to help fix the fumble issues. Kudos to him and the coaches finally realizing something needs to be done about this and enough is enough. If it helps his passing and it helps with the cold weather then great, those are great side effects to fix as well.

He seemed to have issues with his pitch though, not sure if that was gloves or not.

True, he's still reckless with the ball at times when he really isn't concentrating on not being reckless. Some of those pitches were so late there was no reason he should've pitched them.

I don't know about late as the IB looked spaced still and had lots of green, would have been big plays had Taylor made a good pitch. I think a big part of his issue Saturday was that it looked like he was so intent on heading upfield that he ran into his own Guy instead of moving laterally looking for an opening or to make the pitch, at least on the 2 plays down in the Red Zone in the first half. I know that the end blocker got pushed back a bit, but I don't thinking Taylor helped himself by trying to hug that edge and go upfield.

Taylor wore gloves during a colder practice one time last week and liked the feel of it. Said he plans on wearing gloves later in the season/up north when the games are colder and he used the Minnesota game as a test-run to start getting used to the feel.

I personally can't throw worth a darn with gloves on, but amazingly, it actually helps some quarterbacks. Ben Roethlisberger, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady on occasion, Nate Davis at Ball State, David Carr and others have had success with it. I'm interested to see how it works out for Taylor.

I thought I heard in the presser that Martinez was wearing the gloves because it's going to get colder and he wants to try them out.

I didn't notice anything strange about this throwing Saturday, though. He had some good throws and a few errant throws - just another day at the office for Martinez.

His pitch skills have always been an issue, though, especially if the option gets disrupted a little.

I hope he wears gloves the rest of the year. Ya he missed some throws but they were good misses...On the long passes they were too long giving the defense no chance to intercept in. Not sure what made him decide to wear them but I hope it contines

Yeah, they were tossing those long bombs for entertainment purposes. To give the B1G DCs we'll be facing something to think about wehn they watch films of NU in the coming weeks.

Statistically TMart threw the ball well. His receivers had a lot of drop but they also bailed him out more than a couple times. There were some passes thrown on the money that were dropped but there we numerous passes thrown that the receivers made spectacular attempts to get to.

Really?

Other than the one Marlowe catch I didn't see any others (at all). Maybe I just forgot about them......who else made those spectacular catches?