Bo Pelini's Quarterback Graveyard - 2014 Edition

Landlord

I would tend to agree with the idea that beating said QB should be a prerequisite, but this was discussed early on in the formation of this thread, and it is not one of Landlord's criteria:

I would take Weeden and Reesing off the list, they both had pretty good games against us... Probably Cullen Harper too. I'd take Gilbert off the list as well, so it's a list of future NFL QBs.

Between Locker and Foles, we've absolutely destroyed PAC 12 QBs... Here we come, Andrew Luck...

My own personal criteria for making the list breaks down like this

1. If they played like crap, and are or are likely to become NFL QBs, or very highly regarded college QBs.

2. Held to a completion percentage in the 40's or low 50's, or their lowest completion percentage of the season.

3. As many interceptions as touchdowns.

If this is relegated to a list of QBs whom we beat, who also had bad games, the list needs to be pared down already. But if it's just the above criteria, and maybe throwing in the fact that said QB had a worse performance against Nebraska than against other relevant comparators, it's fair to put Cook in there.

Cook did not have a good game. His team did enough to win, but it's not like he beat us. Mostly their defense stuffing our offense for 3.50 quarters beat us.

I would tend to agree with the idea that beating said QB should be a prerequisite, but this was discussed early on in the formation of this thread, and it is not one of Landlord's criteria:

I would take Weeden and Reesing off the list, they both had pretty good games against us... Probably Cullen Harper too. I'd take Gilbert off the list as well, so it's a list of future NFL QBs.

Between Locker and Foles, we've absolutely destroyed PAC 12 QBs... Here we come, Andrew Luck...

My own personal criteria for making the list breaks down like this

1. If they played like crap, and are or are likely to become NFL QBs, or very highly regarded college QBs.

2. Held to a completion percentage in the 40's or low 50's, or their lowest completion percentage of the season.

3. As many interceptions as touchdowns.

I don't think I'm going to add him, based on the following rationale:

If Tommy Armstrong had those numbers in that game and we came out the winner, the majority on here would be praising and defending him for a tough, gutsy performance that might not have looked pretty or had a high completion percentage, but that got the job done and led our team to victory.

I don't mind adding a quarterback that beat us if we made the quarterback look like a fool and the team only beat us because of other means, but despite his poor numbers, Connor Cook came up big in the moments that his team needed to and wasn't embarrassed in the same fashion as a lot of quarterbacks that had similar numbers over the last few years.

I vote no but if enough people agree with him being added then I'll listen to the masses.

• Fire 1

The only quarterbacks on the list that have beaten us are Colt McCoy, Garret Gilbert, and Tyrod Taylor.

All three are games where, in my estimation, we did whatever we wanted to them and made them play like dogpoop, but lost the game because of our own mistakes and shortcomings.

I don't think Cook and MSU fit the same feeling, personally.

yeah, i don't think he belongs. he threaded some solid passes. a tipped ball on the first drive of the game for an interception is a lot of luck and can happen to anyone - and isn't necessarily on the QB. it's not like TA throwing to the middle directly into the hands of a shocked, but now very happy linebacker. he % was certainly down, but he was opportune in his completions. no go for me.

I think I'll backpeddle some on my line of thinking. Yes, Colt McCoy is in here for obvious reasons. But we gave that game away, and played a near flawless game on defense. Against Michigan St. we blew a coverage and blew a run fit, and allowed a reverse in which the debated qb made the breaking block himself to go for 40 yards and a TD. Throw in the fact the Michigan St piss pounded us for 3 quarters, I still dont think Cook should go in, just cuz'. But I'll reverse my thoughts on having to win the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I fast from the internet on sundays and here I come back finding you guys not having updated this? I guess Polo's opinion that we shouldn't celebrate our accomplishments is spreading.

Trevor Siemian, Oct 18, 2014, Northwestern - 18/39 (46.2%) - 173 yards yards - 0 TD - 1 INT - Sacked 4 times (7 rushes) for -26 yards

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...