I remember vividly the zone read where Martinez should have handed Rex the ball but carried it. It was either third and short or fourth and short, I can't remember. Rex would have easily gotten the first down where Martinez keeping it lost yards. However, you can't tell me that Frazier; Crouch; or Frost never made a wrong read running the option where they should have pitched it instead of carrying it or vice versa. I firmly believe Martinez would be held in the same regard as Frazier, Crouch, and Frost if he had a similar OL blocking for him. Our offense's biggest problem is the OL or lack there of.

I remember vividly the zone read where Martinez should have handed Rex the ball but carried it. It was either third and short or fourth and short, I can't remember. Rex would have easily gotten the first down where Martinez keeping it lost yards. However, you can't tell me that Frazier; Crouch; or Frost never made a wrong read running the option where they should have pitched it instead of carrying it or vice versa. I firmly believe Martinez would be held in the same regard as Frazier, Crouch, and Frost if he had a similar OL blocking for him. Our offense's biggest problem is the OL or lack there of.

I agree with you one. So what if Taylor made a bad read or two, everyone does. He is a sophomore, that is a mistake even seniors make. I can't wait to see what Taylor accomplishes in his career, I think he is going to do great things.

Good point.

When we watch a game on TV, we can see the whole field, and often get to see a replay of certain plays. As a QB running the option, you have a limited field of vision and a split second to make a decision. If every QB always made the right decision on an option play, there'd be no reason to even put a defense on the field, because an option offense would be literally unstoppable.

Exactly. For every wrong read, he made 8-10 correct ones. Taylor has shown marked improvement in decision making in the last several games. It's very encouraging to see with such a young offense.

I'm still a fan, and he is still a threat to run that teams have to plan for. I spend a great deal of time in Denver so I am aware of an SEC QB with very poor throwing technique who was now benched. If Martinez had SEC receivers helping him his stats would be better.

Tebow was a great leader and diligent runner, but he greatly greatly benefited from an OC that played to his strengths, and at least 3 first round draft picks around him (the Pouncey brothers and P. Harvin). We don't have that level of talent in coaching or personnel, but I don't think we are far off at receiver. Turner, Bell, Enunwa all look great. The problem is whether Martinez can consistently make the throws to allow our WRs to shine.<--I doubt he ever will, and will handcuff this team on what plays we will be able to run (in this offense).

Add- he is better in his decision-making, but is still not consistently progressing through his reads and always stares down his receiver.

I agree with you but I still like Martinez although I don't think we will see him any time soon playing on sunday. Not related to this post but I would like to see him start to push his running limits more.

I'm still a fan, and he is still a threat to run that teams have to plan for. I spend a great deal of time in Denver so I am aware of an SEC QB with very poor throwing technique who was now benched. If Martinez had SEC receivers helping him his stats would be better.

Tebow was a great leader and diligent runner, but he greatly greatly benefited from an OC that played to his strengths, and at least 3 first round draft picks around him (the Pouncey brothers and P. Harvin). We don't have that level of talent in coaching or personnel, but I don't think we are far off at receiver. Turner, Bell, Enunwa all look great. The problem is whether Martinez can consistently make the throws to allow our WRs to shine.<--I doubt he ever will, and will handcuff this team on what plays we will be able to run (in this offense).

Add- he is better in his decision-making, but is still not consistently progressing through his reads and always stares down his receiver.

I agree with you but I still like Martinez although I don't think we will see him any time soon playing on sunday. Not related to this post but I would like to see him start to push his running limits more.

I couldn't care less about playing on Sundays.

We won the games with qbs like Frost, Frazier, Crouch, etc that didn't play on Sundays either.

I feel comfortable guaranteeing that Martinez will never play the quarterback position in the NFL.

I don't want to see Martinez push his limits by running more. I'd like to see him push his limits by being just a better runner in general. That means making quicker and more decisive decisions and definitely a lot less of the stutter stepping or just plain stopping he does. The most egregious example was against tOSU, where he pretty much came to a complete stop and took a big hit. It's like stopping on the interstate in order to get over one lane - you don't stop, no exceptions.

I still believe Taylor should be benched. He is NOT going to lead us to a Championship. I would much rather see us go with someone who we think at least gives us a CHANCE at a Championship. This is my same feeling towards Bo. If he doesn't give us a CHANCE at a Championship (which IMO, he doesn't) then we should go in a different direction and find someone who we think does.

¿Qué?

Ok, I'm not going to bite your head off like I do everybody else who says this. But please, help me out here.

Your opinion is that Martinez could not deliver a championship. Fine. I don't know why it's become standard to judge an entire kid's career in year two of four, but each to his own. What do you suggest they do about it? Carnes? Not reasonable. Putting Carnes in guarantees this offense takes a step back, and that is not debatable. We'd be bringing in a redshirt freshman with almost no significant playing time. He'd be far more inconsistent than Martinez. Furthermore, we have no idea what kind of player Carnes is yet. Seems like a giant gamble to suggest starting Carnes.

Kellogg? He's one of the last holdovers from the Callahan era, and probably can't run this offense to the same degree as the mobile guys Martinez and Carnes. He's not even really a viable option.

Outside of those two, we have nobody. Martinez is our guy this year, he'll probably be our guy next year and the year after that. It shouldn't matter who is the quarterback as long as they're performing well. Martinez has been doing that the last several games, which means he deserves everybody's support.

not to mention, what qb in the nation right now could lead us to a national championship? our defense is much more flawed than offense. tmart is not holding this team back. and if the standard is 'only players who can lead us to a mnc can play', we would only have maybe three players.

Exactly. Our lines are nowhere near championship level. How can the rest of the team be at that level when games are won and lost IN THE TRENCHES. Yes, yelling at you HUSKERBCS...

I am tired of the nonfans that claim they are fans for our Huskers. HuskerBCS you remind me of my nephew who says he is a Husker fan but really isn't. He actually was rooting for OSU to beat us because he wanted so badly for BO and Martinez to look even worse. So he can say I am right or look at me I am not a sunshine pumper. As a fan it is ok to questions some things but to only look at the bad and not the good and to not use simple commmon sense, shows me that you are not a Husker fan but rather a fan of hating Huskers. I am going to repost the stats from earlier in this thread to make a point that even when a QB is playing at a high level for multiple games and shows significant signs of improvement and decision making that "YOUR KIND" can not only not acknowledge the positiveness of it but rather still bash a HUSKER PLAYER that is giving his all and playing as good as most QB's in the NCAA. BTW the number of posts do not indicate ones football intelligence, I would wonder how many posts Nick Saban has on the alabama board, probably none he must be dumb. I despise your so called "KIND" get out of our beloved Huskers forums and games and find some other team to belittle and hate on. I would rather have sunshine pumpers only than you. Thanks.

Since Wisconsin, Taylor has:

-Completed 68% of his passes (64/94)

-Thrown 6 touchdowns

-Thrown only two interceptions

-Has not fumbled (or lost one, anyway)

-Has an average QB rating of 144.28 (one spot behind Arkansas' Tyler Wilson if he kept that for the whole season)

-Has rushed 51 times for 230 yards (4.5 yards/rush) and a touchdown

I disagree. Taylor Martinez is one of the dumbest people I have ever seen in my life.

I'll say it since nobody else will.

You, sir, are a disgrace to the fanbase, and an embarrassment to the good people of Nebraska. It's evident from your posts that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground, and it would be best if you would cease and desist the personal attacks on our players, and drink a nice big cup of shut the hell up.

Nebraska just doesn't send quarterbacks to the NFL.

But if you're fondly remembering Husker QBs with a better throwing motion, they weren't necessarily better passers.

A grand total of one, Joe Ganz, threw better than 60% (65% actually) and most people on this board seemed to hate that pass efficient offense.

Frazier was a career 49% passer. Frost was at 53%, Crouch 51% and Gill 54%. And if you can remember back to our "pure" passers, Vince Ferragamo was a 57% passer and David Humm was 54%.

At this rate, Taylor Martinez will set almost every career passing record at Nebraska, and be among the best rushing qbs. Might as well enjoy him while you can and root for his progress. He strikes me as being football smart, but socially awkward. I can live with that.

You don't want to see Brion Carnes in a high-pressure game right now.

Know who else doesn't want to see that? Brion Carnes.

I disagree. Taylor Martinez is one of the dumbest people I have ever seen in my life.

I'll say it since nobody else will.

You, sir, are a disgrace to the fanbase, and an embarrassment to the good people of Nebraska. It's evident from your posts that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground, and it would be best if you would cease and desist the personal attacks on our players, and drink a nice big cup of shut the hell up.

Don't worry we were all thinkin it!