Sponsors Pulling Out

Rochelobe

I saw this scroll across ESPN awhile ago, and now it is on some websites:

http://content.usato...aska-telecast/1

The automotive sponsor doesn't want its brand associated with a telecast featuring Penn State, which fired coach Joe Paterno Wednesday after former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was indicted on criminal charges of allegedly sexually abusing young boys.

Said they were also pulling out of next week's game between PSU and OSU.

I think that they were trying to get more publicity by withdrawing their sponsorship publicly, than they would have by remaining a sponsor. I don't think this is "GOOD" any more than I think Nebraska should boycott the game. Try to remember who the guilt should follow and don't attack everyone in the Penn State nation with the same knee jerk reaction.

I saw this scroll across ESPN awhile ago, and now it is on some websites:

http://content.usato...aska-telecast/1

The automotive sponsor doesn't want its brand associated with a telecast featuring Penn State, which fired coach Joe Paterno Wednesday after former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was indicted on criminal charges of allegedly sexually abusing young boys.

Said they were also pulling out of next week's game between PSU and OSU.

It reminds me of Tiger Woods scandal, well kinda. I think several sponsors fled.

I think that they were trying to get more publicity by withdrawing their sponsorship publicly, than they would have by remaining a sponsor. I don't think this is "GOOD" any more than I think Nebraska should boycott the game. Try to remember who the guilt should follow and don't attack everyone in the Penn State nation with the same knee jerk reaction.

Yeah - I was sort of cynical as to the motives of cars.com. If they want to pull out, pull out - why release a press release? Just pull your ads, and let ESPN figure out what to do. I doubt ESPN says anything under those circumstances, and if they don't how would we know who was afraid of being associated with this event - I don't sit around and memorize who advertises each week on the ESPN games :rolleyes: and take note of who didn't advertise this week vs last week.

I think this is more about "we must show how we are more against child abuse than the everyone else". I don't see a lot of altruism here.

It would be interesting if all sponsors pull out. What would we see - nothing put ESPN ads (kind of like if you've ever watched a game on ESPN GamePlan)

This was a PR move by cars.com, nothing more. They're leveraging a tragedy and trying to elevate their brand name.

I could see if it was a company who was "morally obligated" to make this display (like a church or some other entity that brands itself as morally superior) but it's a stupid car selling site for crying out loud.

Yeah - I was sort of cynical as to the motives of cars.com. If they want to pull out, pull out - why release a press release? Just pull your ads, and let ESPN figure out what to do. I doubt ESPN says anything under those circumstances, and if they don't how would we know who was afraid of being associated with this event - I don't sit around and memorize who advertises each week on the ESPN games :rolleyes: and take note of who didn't advertise this week vs last week.

I think this is more about "we must show how we are more against child abuse than the everyone else". I don't see a lot of altruism here.

It would be interesting if all sponsors pull out. What would we see - nothing put ESPN ads (kind of like if you've ever watched a game on ESPN GamePlan)

Same thing as dvdcrr posted as his reason why he believes Nebraska should boycott the PSU game.

"Here at cars.com, we don't condone child rape. That's the message we're sending here."

Except instead of actually sending that message, they're sending a message that because they're willing to come right out and say it, they're morally superior to all those other heathens who must obviously condone child rape because they're not making a public statement that they don't.

• Fire 1

Nebraska vs Penn State with no commercial breaks?

I'd actually pay to see that...for any game I want to watch.

I wonder how many boosters at PSU have frozen donations to the school because of what has happened?

If you believe the message board rants they are planning to do so in droves, but primarily out of anger over the trustees firing Paterno rather than the fact that the school administration covered up pedophilia for a decade.

Nebraska vs Penn State with no commercial breaks?

I'd actually pay to see that...for any game I want to watch.

Me too. Would definitely be worth the money.

I wonder how many boosters at PSU have frozen donations to the school because of what has happened?

If you believe the message board rants they are planning to do so in droves, but primarily out of anger over the trustees firing Paterno rather than the fact that the school administration covered up pedophilia for a decade.

They are still blinded by JoePa's celebrity. It is to be hoped that in time they'll realize the gravity of his failure to move on actionable knowledge and stop hero-worshiping him to this degree. We'll see.

Right now the Penn State "brand" is tarnished, and in my opinion rightfully so. No surprise that a sponsor would pull out.

I want this game to be played, but I sure wish we would have had PSU earlier in the season, before this story broke. Right now I don't like Nebraska being associated in any way with PSU. I know this feeling will pass, but right now, I don't like even being associated with the conference with PSU as a member.

Yes do remember. There was a monster roaming about and the people that have the most power to stop it....did nothing.

Sandusky is sick in the head and should be locked up. He has serious issues. Everyone else made conscious decision to protect him, not report him, and to allow him to continue on. They are as sick and disgusting as he is imo.