Is the Media Turning On Nebraska?

nowhereman

I've been seeing a strange sentiment brewing this morning from some writers in my Twitter feed. There seems to be some sort of anger at Nebraska brewing, and it confuses me greatly:

Dennis Dodds:

@dennisdoddcbs Dennis Dodd

I'm confused. Why are Nebraska fans worried about their safety. This isn't about them.

King Football wins. Nebraska-Penn St goes on as planned.

Nebraska fans have waded into the most hostile arenas in the country. This is about the victims, their parents, Senior Day and healing

Not Nebraska.

Don't I remember Dan Beebe being threatened? Hmmm. Bit of hypocrisy here.

And now Gregg Doyle chimes in:

@greggdoyelcbs Gregg Doyel

Wrong. Mind your own business RT @OnwardState: A @DailyNeb editorial suggests Penn State forfeit rest of season

So Dodds attacks Nebraska fans for having genuine concerns about safety issues in College Station - something echoed by Osborne and the UNL admins, not to mention commentators around the country. Then Doyle goes after the Daily Nebraskan for an editorial regarding Penn State's remaining season. One I don't happen to agree with, but one that has been echoed in quite a few places - much larger media outlets than the DN, mind you.

Could someone explain this to me, other than "they're trolls," because I'm seeing similar anger towards NU from more than just those two guys. Is there some sort of weird sympathy for PSU developing, making them the "underdog" some people are rooting for?

I don't understand why this is so difficult. Football and the tragedy are two separate issues with regards to the 60 minutes of competition tomorrow.

We're concerned for our fans' safety, in large part, due to the RIOTING that happened two days ago. That absolutely stands to reason.

It's just totally ridiculous for anyone to say that a Husker fan being concerned for their own safety is making Saturday about "them" and not about the victims. They're two entirely separate issues - why is that so hard to understand?

Oh no, media members bashing Nebraska. Stop me if we haven't heard this one before. :)

That's part of the media world - disagreeing with stuff. It what it is. Our safety concerns are echoing from rioting that's going on, and it's not like we're scared for no good reason. the UNLPD and Penn State PD have been communicating with one another about increased safety precautions at the game. Penn State was obviously worried about issues too, thus reinforcing our concerns.

If media members want to be idiots, let them be idiots.

sorry but you're quoting some guy from Kansas I've never heard of and another guy from Pennsylvania. That doesn't indicate anything to me.

They're both national writers for CBS Sports. It just seems bizarre to go out of the way to slam Nebraska fans for safety concerns, when the issue isn't being expressed by just them. And telling a student editorial to shut-up and "mind their own business" for expressing an opinion that's seen elsewhere. I didn't see him attack the NY Times for a similar editorial.

sorry but you're quoting some guy from Kansas I've never heard of and another guy from Pennsylvania. That doesn't indicate anything to me.

They're both national writers for CBS Sports. It just seems bizarre to go out of the way to slam Nebraska fans for safety concerns, when the issue isn't being expressed by just them. And telling a student editorial to shut-up and "mind their own business" for expressing an opinion that's seen elsewhere. I didn't see him attack the NY Times for a similar editorial.

I'm sure you realize this, but it's easier to bash a student based newspaper than it is a respected, world-renowned newspaper.

I didn't read the DN article but a lot of the articles written in that paper generally aren't the best, which is odd considering UNL is one of the top journalism schools in the country.

"This is about victims, their parents, senior day and healing. Not Nebraska"

No Dennis Dodd, you are making out the players to be victims themselves. This isn't to the same effect of the whirlwind downwardspiral as what Virgina Tech felt when they needed to heal. PSU is feeling the effects of some people trying to push an ugly ugly crime under a rug. I know I can't speak for Nebraska Football or my fellow Husker Fans, but Nebraska in my opinion will be there on Saturday with mixed feelings. It just so happens that Nebraska is the team that PSU is playing on 11/12, how else is Nebraska supposed to feel after seeing the way some PSU fans and students have handled the week?

Nebraska is wanting to make sure that for the 60 minutes of College Football at College Station, some kind of pent up emotions don't overflow into chaos. I respect Nebraska even wanting to play the game this week. Please don't make PSU the underdog vs the world in this one. Just my opinion, feel free to flame away at my responses my fellow Husker Fans.