Today is the last big game Penn State might ever play . . .

Noticed that they left a empty seat on the bus in honor of JP...................kind of reminds me of Colorado leaving an open seat on the travel roster (and by extension......leaving a player at home because of travel restrictions) for Saul Aneuse (sp?).................

Comparisons to Rice and SMU are kind of weak. PSU has an alumni base nearly 10 times as large as SMU and even more so than Rice. They are also the largest and most supported University in the State, SMU and Rice are behind what...UT, Texas, TTU, Baylor and so on.

PSU will have a few down years but they won't be out long.

Ever? Doubtful. For a while.. probably.

Heck based solely on the known victims and the grand jury testimony several financial people on different news channels have estimated that this could cost Penn State more than $300M in civil suit payouts alone.

Probably doesn't help that Moody's has put Penn State's revenue bond rating up for review to potentially be downgraded. That happens and it could be very tough for them to pass bonds and make improvements to the campus and athletic facilities for a very long time.

Comparisons to Rice and SMU are kind of weak. PSU has an alumni base nearly 10 times as large as SMU and even more so than Rice. They are also the largest and most supported University in the State, SMU and Rice are behind what...UT, Texas, TTU, Baylor and so on.

I get the overall numbers but there was a lot of big Texas money behind Rice back in the day. I also don't think that being a huge state school is any guarantee--see Minnesota, who hasn't been relevant in 50 years, and Illinois, for example.

PSU will be back. I do not believe they will get the NCAA "death penalty" either, based on the current facts reported in the media. Perhaps that could change as the investigation continues?

It will be a challenge to find a big name coach right away, but there are always many eager up and coming coaches, with decent resumes who would jump at an opportunity like this.

They are toast. I actually expect them to drop from D1. Might take a few years but the school is about to take a major financial hit and they wont have a choice. This isnt just about their football program, students of all kinds will be fleeing at the end of semester. I dont blame them.. after this, who wants a PSU degree hanging on their wall? Its shameful, I wouldnt want any association with the school whatsoever. I feel for the alumni.

As far as Husker football goes, it wont affect it much or the Big 10, I hope. We just lost a great opponent, but theres still Wisconsin, Michigan St., Iowa, Michigan on the rise, OHST once they get their act together which Im confident they will. It kills the volleyball program, though. #1 spot has been passed between PSU and Nebraska forever.

It takes decades to build a tradition, only one disastrous week to tear it all down.

You forgot :sarcasm right?

I really, really hope so....

Penn State won't recover from this in our lifetime. Tiger woods was the biggest thing in golf and all he did was cheat on his wife. He can't recover. Football program will fade into obscurity. Enrollment will drop overall. Financial impact of civil suits could reach into the billions. It will snowball in time and I don't think they can sustain it. This wasn't one sick individual...it was a cult like culture of the whole school if not entire community. They SHOULD get the death penalty from the NCAA but it won't matter if they do because Penn State will get it either way.

It may take a generation or so for PSU to bounce back but they will be back. They're too large a school with too large a stadium and fanbase to not have a good team. I say 10-15 years tops (kids recruiting age will not be familiar with the scandal by then).

we're they ever really there to start with? They are legends in their own minds

It may take a generation or so for PSU to bounce back but they will be back. They're too large a school with too large a stadium and fanbase to not have a good team. I say 10-15 years tops (kids recruiting age will not be familiar with the scandal by then).

we're they ever really there to start with? They are legends in their own minds

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

I get the overall numbers but there was a lot of big Texas money behind Rice back in the day. I also don't think that being a huge state school is any guarantee--see Minnesota, who hasn't been relevant in 50 years, and Illinois, for example.

Meh, Minnesota is a weird case, they have far too many teams (Pro I mean plus U of M) in that state to throw support behind any single one and thus all are mediocre, add poor recruiting and honestly not THAT much support from MN residents and you get the Gopher poorgram you see today. Illinois is a similar ...they suffer from what the Badgers did pre-Alvarez...but we'll see. I think PSU will be back but its all speculation at this point.

...and as far as PSU never having "been there" to begin with? I mean...they've won a few national championships, a handful of conference championships and tons of bowls. Sure they haven't had the kinds of seasons that say..Ohio State..has had this past decade but they are, or were, easily in the top 3 programs in the Big Ten.