A weird year for Nebraska football

Nexus

I'm disappointed by this season, probably because I never ever expected the defense to go all Cosgrovian on us.

On the other hand: before the season began I thought an 8 - 2 record at this point sounded perfectly reasonable.

Yes, I think many of us our disappointed. My goal was a big 10 championship. While a small chance is still there, I doubt it will happen. If our defense was 80% as good as last year , then I think we would be the legends division champion with a decent chance to win the Big 10 crown. Most of us have been taken a back by the overall performance of the defense. They were so hyped before the season began that most of us already drank the Koolaid with regards to our expectations of their performance.

Our annual ritual of losing to an inferior team was something I thought would go away this year. Didn't happen. Hopefully next year this gets cured.

Still, if we win out and end up 11-2 it will be progress in Bo's 4th year. This is my new hope for the year.

Michigan St @ Northwestern know that's all they have to beat to get in the title game could be the trap. Then again, that damn Minnesota could have a way of sneaking up on somebody. One things for sure in my mind. If we win out and Michigan St. pisses themselves, the 2nd chance will get this team focused to win the title and even a bcs bowl. we just need that little bit of help first.

What really just frustrates the hell outta me, is that the Inaugural B1G Championship game is, more than likely, going to be Michigan State v. Penn State...

Penn State's not gonna beat both Ohio State & Wisconsin

They just need to beat Wisconsin now that Ohio State lost to Purdue.

Yes that's all they need but I have a feeling we stomp them...bad...especially if its at night.

I hope to GOD that Indiana or Northwestern take MSU out of the mix. Sucks that we need some help to get into the championship game.

This may sound sacriligious, but, I hope that we don't get to the title game. I just don't want to finish the regular season with a loss to Wisconsin. We need this season to end on a good note. If we play Wisconsin and they punk us again, it will be a harsh blow to us. Would rather finish the regular season 10-2 and play a good, second-tier bowl.

And I totally understand what you're saying. I just had a championship title from the B1G in my mind before the season started considering we had just lost two Big XII titles two years in a row. I don't know what would happen if we got to the championship game, but at this point you might be right. Hell, we still have a outside chance of making a BCS bowl if things line up correctly without making it to the championship game. That's huge for moral, prestige, and recruiting.

What really just frustrates the hell outta me, is that the Inaugural B1G Championship game is, more than likely, going to be Michigan State v. Penn State...

Yes that's all they need but I have a feeling we stomp them...bad...especially if its at night.

B1G rule: no night games in November.

Any year that the conference champion is not OSU or UM will be declared a "down year" for the B10. It won't matter if the title is won by the '72 Dolphins, they'll still be 2nd rate.

From reading the board, especially early on, I've had the feeling that folks in Nebraska hadn't quite gotten a good read on the current state of the conference. Wisconsin & MSU have been on the rise in football, and pretty dominant in basketball. UM has been out of the basketball business for a decade or so and struggling in football for quite a while as well. OSU was doing pretty well - but everyone knew it was going to be a rough year for them. Even before the Tressel firing.

Actually - seeing MSU and Wisky vying for their respective divisions is pretty expected. Nebraska was the big unknown this year. My thinking was that the conference is a mine field and that the Huskers would get tripped up a couple of times. My biggest surprise was that MSU didn't show up for the game in Lincoln at all. I had always had that penciled in as a loss - but not that kind of loss. I'll be at Spartan Stadium next year and expect an entirely different sort of game (just so you folks don't get the impression that MSU will always be a walk-over).

The one advantage that MSU will have in facing Northwestern is that MSU knows all about tough games in Evanston. I'm pretty sure the team will show up for that one.

I wasn't tracking that. Kind of a stupid rule on the face of it. What's the logic behind it?

I wasn't tracking that. Kind of a stupid rule on the face of it. What's the logic behind it?

Safety mainly. They don't want temps dipping before kickoff even arrives.

Safety mainly. They don't want temps dipping before kickoff even arrives.

Me no like :grr

I agree that it gets mighty cold in late November, but it's pretty cold for these morning games too, isn't it?

Yes - but it is easy to take off the winter coats you wore to the game. Drunk people are not always known for thinking ahead 3 hours when it will be 30 degrees colder and the anti-freeze will be long gone. Also, morning games are still played in the daylight which makes a big difference this time of year for temps.