Coach Brown.........

Comish

I've known Coach Brown for years. Stand up guy. And looks very good for his age I might add......But, I have heard from a ton of people on how classy Nebraska is after seeing this. This sent a strong message to the rest of the country. And when I heard the actual speech, I was even more proud to be part of the Husker nation. Believe it or not, whether you love us or hate us.....what we did on THEIR field confirmed what people have known for years....there is no place like Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Some of us were talking today about the fact that after Saturday, there is a bond between Penn St. and Nebraska that no one can take away from us. It will be interesting to see what happens the next time we play them. I think it would be cool if they could meet in the middle of the field every time they play each other.

Comish..thank you for stand up mature response back, even if we happen to not agree on Brown and his religious beliefs.

Unfortunately, it's the two responses after yours that give what I said validity.

For the record having strong religious beliefs..Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or otherwise.. does not necessarily make you a better coach or a better person. I have known really decent caring "good" religious people in my life, and I have known many atheists and agnostics with more Christ like values than many self proclaimed Christians.

Last week Joe Pa was a saint.

An upstanding coach is an upstanding coach. His/her religious beliefs are a side issue.

I'm an atheist, and I have no problem with Coach Brown's beliefs.

I've met him (although it was a very long time ago), and he is a good person. If his faith has anything to do with that that's fine, but either way, like you said, an upstanding coach is an upstanding coach.

Some of us were talking today about the fact that after Saturday, there is a bond between Penn St. and Nebraska that no one can take away from us. It will be interesting to see what happens the next time we play them. I think it would be cool if they could meet in the middle of the field every time they play each other.

I agree that there is now a bond.....................

But I wonder, if indeed, some sort of tradition would eventuate....... (like meeting in the middle of the field )..................that it might become an awkward reminder for the Penn St folks annually about what got this started.......??

I know there a been a myriad of posts concerning Coach Brown’s role yesterday, so I hope this is not simply a rehash of some things.

But I seem to remember quite a few years ago that he was interviewing for the Stanford head coaching position and their students got wind of his strong faith and organized a protest of some sort to discourage his hiring. He ended up either withdrawing or not getting very far in the process. (I might be a little shaky on the details, but that was pretty much the drift of things). To me, that is to our everlasting advantage and to Stanford’s everlasting loss. Just a personal opinion.

A second issue is that when Abdullah committed and Ron was named the running backs coach, I recall some spirited discussion on a Husker board about whether that could ever mesh because of Coach Brown’s out -spoken Christianity. It was very heartening to see Abdullah close to the front of the circle in the pre-game prayer yesterday. Seems like they have worked that out just fine.

Anyone else recall those incidents differently........?

Some of the RB's IIRC, even asked Brown about about AA coming. IIRC, Brown responded we will love him. Brown is not the time of person to beat someone in the head with the Bible. He tries to live life "Christ like" ie love your neighbor, treat others with respect, be a servant etc.........

I have also noticed AA near the front, and in the after game prayers. AA, Green, Heard and another fresh live together and have prayer time each night. All four participate.

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/709159709

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/711019748

The above are just two stories that makes NU such a great place. With all the crap going on at other places, it is nice to see NU still focusing on values.

Agreed. And, with proper moderation, consideration, and respect.

And if anyone wants an example of how a Christian should act, IMO, Ron Brown is it. He doesn't Bible-thump, he doesn't judge, he doesn't condemn, and even if he doesn't believe the same thing as you, he still loves you, just as he does with AA. IIRC, Ron Brown spoke against gay marriage, but he made the comment that he would still love that person, even if he doesn't agree with them.

And in addition, we should be holding AA up as an example of a fine, upstanding Muslim in our community. From the sounds of the articles, both AA and Ron Brown are learning about each other and their respective beliefs and have found common ground to work from. And remember, there are shared texts and figureheads between Islam, Judaism, and Christianity, including Jesus himself, so I'm sure it's easy to find interesting philosophical and religious points for discussion.

At the risk of relegating this thread to the religion board, I believe *this* is what we as a nation should strive for--appreciation, understanding, and acceptance of beliefs, without condemnation or judgement. Ron Brown lives this way, and we should strive to follow in a similar path.

That was a moment that those players and coaches that experienced it will never forget. To me, trying to make it a yearly tradition just for the sake of forming a bond through tradition with another Big Ten school would tarnish the moment.

I know there a been a myriad of posts concerning Coach Brown’s role yesterday, so I hope this is not simply a rehash of some things.

But I seem to remember quite a few years ago that he was interviewing for the Stanford head coaching position and their students got wind of his strong faith and organized a protest of some sort to discourage his hiring. He ended up either withdrawing or not getting very far in the process. (I might be a little shaky on the details, but that was pretty much the drift of things). To me, that is to our everlasting advantage and to Stanford’s everlasting loss. Just a personal opinion.

A second issue is that when Abdullah committed and Ron was named the running backs coach, I recall some spirited discussion on a Husker board about whether that could ever mesh because of Coach Brown’s out -spoken Christianity. It was very heartening to see Abdullah close to the front of the circle in the pre-game prayer yesterday. Seems like they have worked that out just fine.

Anyone else recall those incidents differently........?

Some of the RB's IIRC, even asked Brown about about AA coming. IIRC, Brown responded we will love him. Brown is not the time of person to beat someone in the head with the Bible. He tries to live life "Christ like" ie love your neighbor, treat others with respect, be a servant etc.........

I have also noticed AA near the front, and in the after game prayers. AA, Green, Heard and another fresh live together and have prayer time each night. All four participate.

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/709159709

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/711019748

The above are just two stories that makes NU such a great place. With all the crap going on at other places, it is nice to see NU still focusing on values.

Agreed. And, with proper moderation, consideration, and respect.

And if anyone wants an example of how a Christian should act, IMO, Ron Brown is it. He doesn't Bible-thump, he doesn't judge, he doesn't condemn, and even if he doesn't believe the same thing as you, he still loves you, just as he does with AA. IIRC, Ron Brown spoke against gay marriage, but he made the comment that he would still love that person, even if he doesn't agree with them.

And in addition, we should be holding AA up as an example of a fine, upstanding Muslim in our community. From the sounds of the articles, both AA and Ron Brown are learning about each other and their respective beliefs and have found common ground to work from. And remember, there are shared texts and figureheads between Islam, Judaism, and Christianity, including Jesus himself, so I'm sure it's easy to find interesting philosophical and religious points for discussion.

At the risk of relegating this thread to the religion board, I believe *this* is what we as a nation should strive for--appreciation, understanding, and acceptance of beliefs, without condemnation or judgement. Ron Brown lives this way, and we should strive to follow in a similar path.

It's a bit of a stretch to say that Ron Brown doesn't "Bible-thump". Other than that, I agree with everything you said.

Although it's pretty much impossible to discuss Coach Brown without bringing Christianity into the conversation, let's bear in mind that this is a football forum, not a religious forum. If we get too far into the realm of Christianity - or any other faith/religion - we're going to relocate the thread to Politics & Religion.