The Zone-Read Triple Option....thing

Landlord

Hadn't seen this before the PSU game this season, Taylor gets the ball in shotgun and runs a zone-read with his running-back, keeps the ball and then runs a traditional option with the same runningback. I guess come to think of it, I've never seen this ran by any team before - seems like a really creative playcall, and it got us a lot of good gainers on Saturday!

Loving the creativity that Beck is bringing to our offense without getting quite too cute, although sometimes he flirts with it.

Hadn't seen this before the PSU game this season, Taylor gets the ball in shotgun and runs a zone-read with his running-back, keeps the ball and then runs a traditional option with the same runningback. I guess come to think of it, I've never seen this ran by any team before - seems like a really creative playcall, and it got us a lot of good gainers on Saturday!

Loving the creativity that Beck is bringing to our offense without getting quite too cute, although sometimes he flirts with it.

This about sums it up.....

And backs up your statements.

""Some games I get conservative. I play not to lose, instead of to win. That was evident," the first-year offensive coordinator said Saturday. "As I looked back and really thought about it, we've got to be who we are. And that's an attacking offense.""

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111113/BIGRED/711129802

To me, this is the greatest benefit of having Beck as our OC - The creativity! And like you said, the creative plays aren't just silly foofoo weak gadget plays. Beck still manages to keep the physical aspect of these plays, which I (as well as pretty much all Husker fans) absolutely love. I'm not the oldest Husker fan but I still appreciate a physical throwback style of offense that would love nothing more than to run the ball on you when your defense has geared up to stop the run and only the run. It's how we won games in the Osborne era, and I love that we are back at it now. GBR!!!

This about sums it up.....

And backs up your statements.

""Some games I get conservative. I play not to lose, instead of to win. That was evident," the first-year offensive coordinator said Saturday. "As I looked back and really thought about it, we've got to be who we are. And that's an attacking offense.""

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/711129802

I'm glad he admits he got conservative, but I'm even more relieved that he feels as though he should have done different with our type of offense. I'm beginning to really like this guy.

• Fire 1

I absolutely LOVE Tim Beck as a coordinator. Have since halfway through the OOC schedule.

When it works it works really well and he sticks with it, and even when what he does doesn't always work you can see the methodology and reason for what he's trying to do and he for the most part can transition and adjust into something that does work. He's very creative and can do a lot of things to keep defenses off balance but at the same time What he does on one snap flows into a play 3-4 plays or even 3-4 series later and everything flows together nicely by the end.

A far cry from the throw a bunch of stuff against the wall and see what sticks and then once you find what works stop doing it and throw a bunch of other stuff against the wall approach we had the last few years.

Just for the record, we are seeing about the same level of creativity and success that we did last season before our freshman quarterback was hurt.

Beck has been throwing a lot of different things against the wall offensively, and changing gameplans for different opponents, as well as changing them in-game when defenses start adjusting. I like that about him. It's also pretty much the same thing people hated about Shawn Watson when Taylor Martinez stopped wowing the college football world, but it is part of the process of finding out what your young offense does best.

I absolutely LOVE Tim Beck as a coordinator. Have since halfway through the OOC schedule.

When it works it works really well and he sticks with it, and even when what he does doesn't always work you can see the methodology and reason for what he's trying to do and he for the most part can transition and adjust into something that does work. He's very creative and can do a lot of things to keep defenses off balance but at the same time What he does on one snap flows into a play 3-4 plays or even 3-4 series later and everything flows together nicely by the end.

A far cry from the throw a bunch of stuff against the wall and see what sticks and then once you find what works stop doing it and throw a bunch of other stuff against the wall approach we had the last few years.

I don't really agree with this...In the last 3 games, we have ran that diamond formation maybe 5 or 6 times. Prior to that, we ran it alot and moved the ball wonderfully. That was one formation that I thought we would continuosly run because of all the different things you could do from it.

Just for the record, we are seeing about the same level of creativity and success that we did last season before our freshman quarterback was hurt.

It's also pretty much the same thing people hated about Shawn Watson when Taylor Martinez stopped wowing the college football world..

Gotta respectfully disagree with you on this........................Watson was uncanny about finding something that DID work..............and then inexplicably going AWAY from it.........(perhaps to prove his OWN creativity??)

I will say this... Beck will learn very quickly that being conservative and keeping his playcalling simple will not win him any points at all.  He was hired to replace someone who would do that on a nightmarish level, and fans have a short fuse when it comes to seeing an OC doing ANY of that right now.

People want to see change, and we are seeing it, but clearly he needs to get used to staying aggressive the entire game.  And that NEEDS to happen, or the fans WILL turn on him... people don't want to watch a new offense just to see a Watson 2.0 waste it.