This Season Seems Hollow . . .

I'm not one of those people who's ready to fire Bo...at least not quite yet.

There is zero reason to fire Pelini after a season that can be no worse than 8-4, especially when it comes on the heels of back-to-back 10-win seasons.

It's bizarre that people are even mentioning this.

WHAT? 8-4 and you think we should be happy? Wow. Talk about rock bottom expectations. Just curious - how old are you? How long have you been watching Husker ball? Yeah, if you want to go back to 1948, then 8-4 type expectations are the norm I guess.

Look, not everyone is a big Bo fan. You know I'm not and I won't hide it. Do I want him fired this sec? Hell NO! But if we go 8-4, then he should be a on VERY short leash in 2012. That's just the way things are these days when you're at a big time program like NU and rake in close to $3mill.

That mentality is a good way to doom a program to permanent mediocrity. Continuity has some value, and by "some" I mean a lot. You can look at Devaney or Osborne or Bear Bryant or Dean Smith or John Wooden or any number of other highly esteemed college coaches who held long term positions for tangible evidence to support this assertion. (John Wooden, by the way, was hired for the 1948-1949 season at UCLA. He would win his first of ten national championships in 1964. Sixteen years after his initial hire.)

Your opinions radiate with irrational, unreasonable entitlement. I don't even know why you watch the games, you certainly can't be enjoying yourself. Thank god you haven't had any say in the direction of our program over the last few decades. If you had, there would be no statue of TO outside of Memorial, and we'd be lighter on national championship trophies by a measure of three.

• Fire 1

Something has been missing from this season. It just seems hollow. I think the Wisconsin and Penn State games just emotionally wiped us out. I spent an incredible amount of energy getting up for Wisconsin, only to be knocked out cold. That game showed us that we were nowhere near the top. Sad. Also, the weirdness around Penn State made the season more strange. It just seems like something has been missing from this season. The reality is that I wanted us to compete for the National Championship, but we had way too much change and inexperience to get there. Don't get me wrong: glad to be in the Big 10 and love the new venues, but something has been missing. Still several cool games to play, so maybe that will change. Next year is aiming to be something special. Would like to end this year on a good note.

Couldn't agree more, HISD! I thought it was just me and possibly that I'm getting older, getting busier, life is getting in the way of football, kids/wife/family are starting to take priority, etc. But I've felt like it was more than that. Haven't really bought into all of that happening in one year because I have literally gone from being the most over-the-top fan who couldn't focus on anything other than the upcoming Nebraska game more and more throughout the week to this year almost having to remind/force myself to get up for it.

I think some of the explanations offered up by other posters in this thread are valid. The whole groundhog day thing is definitely part of the deal...getting tired of the same song, different dance routine. I also think the Wisconsin loss completely took the wind out of my sails. I was up for that game big time and haven't found that passion since. Had it been close, I could have probably handled the loss a little better. But getting blown out gave me little hope for much the rest of the season. I have high hopes going into every season so I don't think that played into this year any more than normal.

I'll also be honest in that I've lost respect for some of the key people in our program. One of the (many) things that made me dislike Mack Brown so much was how he screwed Major Applewhite and went with Chris Simms in Major's senior year. Bo essentially did the same thing last year with Martinez and I lost a lot of respect for him throughout the year. I know people will say that Bo knows better than I do, he had his reasons, etc...but nobody will ever convince me that a one-legged Martinez gave us the best shot at winning last year. I just haven't been a big fan of Bo since then. He's had just enough other issues (Carl rumors, bad with the media, sideline blowups, over the top stubborn, etc) that he's caused some division in the fan base. I think everyone was hoping he'd be our Bob Stoops and he just simply is not. Aside from Stoops winning a National Championship in his second year, Stoops just has all of the intangibles that Bo doesn't. And I've never been a big Martinez fan, partly because he's just not a real likable person. So I guess part of it for me is a wavering confidence in the head coach and never having bought into our quarterback.

All of that being said, I'm not one of those people who's ready to fire Bo...at least not quite yet. I still support the program and I still cheer for Martinez.

So you think Bo should choose who plays and who doesn't based on personality? If a guys is Ra-Ra he should start and if he's stand off-ish but much more talented with the offense he should sit.

Never said that at all. I said "nobody will ever convince me that a one-legged Martinez gave us the best shot at winning last year". There's a huge difference. Maybe Martinez was the right call to start when he was healthy. Although, when Bo decided to start a freshman quarterback last year even when he was healthy, he statistically threw out any chance of us winning a National Championship as a freshman quarterback has never in the history of the NCAA started the season and lead his team to a National Championship. I would argue that regardless of talent, an experienced senior quarterback gave us our best shot at winning. But that's neither here nor there. When Martinez was essentially one-legged, he did not give us the best chance to win and nobody will ever convince me otherwise...regardless of talent, attitude, ra-ra personality versus stand off-ish personality or whatever.

Something has been missing from this season. It just seems hollow. I think the Wisconsin and Penn State games just emotionally wiped us out. I spent an incredible amount of energy getting up for Wisconsin, only to be knocked out cold. That game showed us that we were nowhere near the top. Sad. Also, the weirdness around Penn State made the season more strange. It just seems like something has been missing from this season. The reality is that I wanted us to compete for the National Championship, but we had way too much change and inexperience to get there. Don't get me wrong: glad to be in the Big 10 and love the new venues, but something has been missing. Still several cool games to play, so maybe that will change. Next year is aiming to be something special. Would like to end this year on a good note.

Couldn't agree more, HISD! I thought it was just me and possibly that I'm getting older, getting busier, life is getting in the way of football, kids/wife/family are starting to take priority, etc. But I've felt like it was more than that. Haven't really bought into all of that happening in one year because I have literally gone from being the most over-the-top fan who couldn't focus on anything other than the upcoming Nebraska game more and more throughout the week to this year almost having to remind/force myself to get up for it.

I think some of the explanations offered up by other posters in this thread are valid. The whole groundhog day thing is definitely part of the deal...getting tired of the same song, different dance routine. I also think the Wisconsin loss completely took the wind out of my sails. I was up for that game big time and haven't found that passion since. Had it been close, I could have probably handled the loss a little better. But getting blown out gave me little hope for much the rest of the season. I have high hopes going into every season so I don't think that played into this year any more than normal.

I'll also be honest in that I've lost respect for some of the key people in our program. One of the (many) things that made me dislike Mack Brown so much was how he screwed Major Applewhite and went with Chris Simms in Major's senior year. Bo essentially did the same thing last year with Martinez and I lost a lot of respect for him throughout the year. I know people will say that Bo knows better than I do, he had his reasons, etc...but nobody will ever convince me that a one-legged Martinez gave us the best shot at winning last year. I just haven't been a big fan of Bo since then. He's had just enough other issues (Carl rumors, bad with the media, sideline blowups, over the top stubborn, etc) that he's caused some division in the fan base. I think everyone was hoping he'd be our Bob Stoops and he just simply is not. Aside from Stoops winning a National Championship in his second year, Stoops just has all of the intangibles that Bo doesn't. And I've never been a big Martinez fan, partly because he's just not a real likable person. So I guess part of it for me is a wavering confidence in the head coach and never having bought into our quarterback.

All of that being said, I'm not one of those people who's ready to fire Bo...at least not quite yet. I still support the program and I still cheer for Martinez.

So you think Bo should choose who plays and who doesn't based on personality? If a guys is Ra-Ra he should start and if he's stand off-ish but much more talented with the offense he should sit.

Never said that at all. I said "nobody will ever convince me that a one-legged Martinez gave us the best shot at winning last year". There's a huge difference. Maybe Martinez was the right call to start when he was healthy. Although, when Bo decided to start a freshman quarterback last year even when he was healthy, he statistically threw out any chance of us winning a National Championship as a freshman quarterback has never in the history of the NCAA started the season and lead his team to a National Championship. I would argue that regardless of talent, an experienced senior quarterback gave us our best shot at winning. But that's neither here nor there. When Martinez was essentially one-legged, he did not give us the best chance to win and nobody will ever convince me otherwise...regardless of talent, attitude, ra-ra personality versus stand off-ish personality or whatever.

Normally I would agree. But having attended practice and watched Lee throw around 10 incomplete passes in a row that made Tommie F's accuracy look like Joe Montana I'd say we were better off on a one legged guy. That was after he re injured it on a players helmet but he had almost zero accuracy and velocity. Plus. . I guess I don't think you reward a guy with playing time when he blows off film sessions, team meetings and practices dedicated to learning the new offense and has to be told that even though he's injured he needs to be involved with the team. Lee gave up his teammates long before the coaches gave up on him. At least that's my opinion.

I think there was a possibility that Green might have been able to see more action but we probably would have been better with a scout team guy than giving him touches.

Haha....you gotta be kidding me? :confucius

Did you watch our 2009 offense at all? It was a "3 & out" machine all year once past the three Sunbelt teams. Finishing 99th in total offense even with an easy sos. Going with a talented freshman qb for 2010 was the right call.

Dreaming up that we would/could have been in an NC game by starting Z. Lee in 2010 is.....well....creative. Even more "out there" without Suh tearing apart opponent Olines all year long.

Hey, Z. Lee is a Husker and I'm proud of him but he wasn't anywhere close to being an NC caliber qb.

Face the facts...the season is hollow because there is no Texas or K-State or other traditional opponents to hate this year. After over a hundred years of facing off against a Missouri or Kansas and after a hundred years of built up animosity between fan bases from real or perceived slights these games weren't just games...they were vindications that Nebraska was Nebraska and all was well with the world after stomping an Iowa State or Texas Tech.

This years? Oh yah! We beat Minnesota! Good...cuz we sure do hate those Gophers! That'll teach em for disrespecting us back in...uh...well...that'll teach em anyway! Why we'll show those dang Hoosiers! We need to teach them a lesson after they...uh...well...I guess they haven't really ever done anything to us but we'll teach em anyway!

Really...who cares? Do you really want to be playing in a Big 10 championship game against Penn State or would you REALLY like to be playing Oklahoma in the Big 12? And are the fans really that excited about playing Northwestern...or Illinois...or Purdue EVER? Tell the truth...how many of you still check out the standings and results from the Big 12 games and really wish you had a chance to blast K-State or OSU again?

But...such is life. The powers that be picked money over tradition so you got what you got and all the baggage that comes with it while the Big 12 has what is has including the entry of some really top-flite football schools. Hopefully the Huskers can keep the sell-out record intact after most of the blue-hairs move on to the nursing homes but I have a feeling interest just won't be the same in the Big 10 and that, too, shall come to an end.

Face the facts...the season is hollow because there is no Texas or K-State or other traditional opponents to hate this year. After over a hundred years of facing off against a Missouri or Kansas and after a hundred years of built up animosity between fan bases from real or perceived slights these games weren't just games...they were vindications that Nebraska was Nebraska and all was well with the world after stomping an Iowa State or Texas Tech.

This years? Oh yah! We beat Minnesota! Good...cuz we sure do hate those Gophers! That'll teach em for disrespecting us back in...uh...well...that'll teach em anyway! Why we'll show those dang Hoosiers! We need to teach them a lesson after they...uh...well...I guess they haven't really ever done anything to us but we'll teach em anyway!

Really...who cares? Do you really want to be playing in a Big 10 championship game against Penn State or would you REALLY like to be playing Oklahoma in the Big 12? And are the fans really that excited about playing Northwestern...or Illinois...or Purdue EVER? Tell the truth...how many of you still check out the standings and results from the Big 12 games and really wish you had a chance to blast K-State or OSU again?

But...such is life. The powers that be picked money over tradition so you got what you got and all the baggage that comes with it while the Big 12 has what is has including the entry of some really top-flite football schools. Hopefully the Huskers can keep the sell-out record intact after most of the blue-hairs move on to the nursing homes but I have a feeling interest just won't be the same in the Big 10 and that, too, shall come to an end.

I love this post - bec. you hit a nerve..... and as I just said in this (or some other thread) - I too am NOT a huge B1G fan (I think I said that in 1 of those 2 "who will win the Michigan game" threads).

But........ I do think in about .....ooh.... IDK....45 years, once you and me are 6ft under there'll be thrilling rivalries with PSU, MU and OSU..... Too bad we won't be around to live them but our kids/grand kids sure will :)

That being said, I think in the next 5-10 years you could see some real heat develop betw. NU and OSU, UM, PSU and UW ... but you are right, nothing like OU or tu or KSU or MU.... Sigh... And you wonder why the Fiesta is pegging NU/OU

Haha....you gotta be kidding me? :confucius

Did you watch our 2009 offense at all? It was a "3 & out" machine all year once past the three Sunbelt teams. Finishing 99th in total offense even with an easy sos. Going with a talented freshman qb for 2010 was the right call.

Dreaming up that we would/could have been in an NC game by starting Z. Lee in 2010 is.....well....creative. Even more "out there" without Suh tearing apart opponent Olines all year long.

Hey, Z. Lee is a Husker and I'm proud of him but he wasn't anywhere close to being an NC caliber qb.

And neither was Taylor Martinez...especially on one leg.

bitter much?

You know, I'm certainly not saying that I thought we would go undefeated. You could look back at my posts before the season began and read that I thought we would lose 3 or 4 games this year. This season leaves me a bit disappointed because our defense has not been what we all thought it would be. Our defensive line and linebackers are better suited for the Big 12 and I understand that. As far as why I am disappointed is because I had counted Wisconsin and Michigan State as sure losses on this season. Obviously I was right about Wiscy. That Michigan State game had me jazzed as hell though. The way we beat those guys surprised the crap out of me. I thought for sure once we got ahold of that division lead that maybe I was wrong about this team. I thought for sure this team was going to be the one that didn't blow it when the season was on the line. Then the Northwestern game happened. I'm not saying it devastated me when we lost that game, but I am saying that it made me realize we are nowhere near the elite teams in this country. Which in the end is fine. I mean, we didn't really think we were a top 5 team anyways did we?

The bolded part--moving to the B1G 10 was about picking money over tradition? Come on Cy. Really?? That's just plain funny. :lol:

This is what I think ...... we are developing new rivalries and that will take time ......... we had on loss I can live with and one the sucks but that is a normal year so I think the funk has to do with setting new expectations and new teams to hate ....... also the situation last week at Penn State did not help but that is not the reason.

This is what I think ...... we are developing new rivalries and that will take time ......... we had on loss I can live with and one the sucks but that is a normal year so I think the funk has to do with setting new expectations and new teams to hate ....... also the situation last week at Penn State did not help but that is not the reason.

Right, but it stil feels dowright WEIRD to be playing these B1G teams. We don't really know squat about them and I'm sure they look at NU as a stranger too....

It's no wonder we lost to NW. Bo probably thought they were ISU or Kansas.

Your first season in the Big Ten is hollow? Come on guys....come on :facepalm:

This should be a fun time for you...new opponents, venues and we can already see some fierce rivalries developing in their infancy and hey, the Huskers still stand an outside chance of winning the conference and even if not, a decent shot at a BCS bowl. Enjoy it, its been a good time! :koolaid2:

Oh and you guys beat OSU at home, stomped a MSU team that may be in that programs golden years and traveled to Penn State and won in Happy Valley in a game that most CFB fans will remember for a very very long time...and you guys did it with class. Embrace it, love it. This is College Football, in my mind no season is "hollow" I relish in every game, even if my team only wins one that year (lookin at you 91 Badgers).

Watching overpaid athletes on some crappy expansion team stop trying and lose games because they can't make the playoffs is hollow. However at this level, we are invested and truly identify with our teams. Many of you are fans because you went to NU or were born and raised in Nebraska. You ARE Huskers just like the players are so every game should have meaning, you should care about every contest. Just my two cents...

Your first season in the Big Ten is hollow? Come on guys....come on :facepalm:

This should be a fun time for you...new opponents, venues and we can already see some fierce rivalries developing in their infancy and hey, the Huskers still stand an outside chance of winning the conference and even if not, a decent shot at a BCS bowl. Enjoy it, its been a good time! :koolaid2:

Oh and you guys beat OSU at home, stomped a MSU team that may be in that programs golden years and traveled to Penn State and won in Happy Valley in a game that most CFB fans will remember for a very very long time...and you guys did it with class. Embrace it, love it. This is College Football, in my mind no season is "hollow" I relish in every game, even if my team only wins one that year (lookin at you 91 Badgers).

Watching overpaid athletes on some crappy expansion team stop trying and lose games because they can't make the playoffs is hollow. However at this level, we are invested and truly identify with our teams. Many of you are fans because you went to NU or were born and raised in Nebraska. You ARE Huskers just like the players are so every game should have meaning, you should care about every contest. Just my two cents...

Well, it's been fun as hell for me. Even better, at least for me, most Big10 fans are my kind of people (for better or worse...ha!). Not dissing the BigXII southern teams at all but except for TAM it never seemed like we were playing in "our" conference.

I wish the BigXII teams well (I really do) but I'm damn glad we're in the Big10.