I was looking down through that bowl swag list. How can they give all that stuff away and not run afoul of ncaa rules? Oh, I'm in favor of it--giving stuff to the players is GREAT. It just seems odd that players can get all this stuff from the bowl sponsors. But in other situations a player gets in hot water if someone buys him a sammich. Funny that.

Because the NCAA allows it and monitors the gifts. They are only allowed to give so much of a dollar amount to each athlete.

http://www.ncaa.org/...tes+can+receive

Not only that, but I think the ncaa monitors gifts given to the players from their schools during the year and counts that against what they can get from the bowls. Like those gold pants the Ohio State players got have a monetary value and that counts against their bowl swag... or something like that.

From the link it's sounds more like the institution can give an annual gift, that is separate from the bowl package. But the bowl package can have gifts from the institution and the bowl committee that both count towards the post season award, so together they couldn't exceed the limit.

I was looking down through that bowl swag list. How can they give all that stuff away and not run afoul of ncaa rules? Oh, I'm in favor of it--giving stuff to the players is GREAT. It just seems odd that players can get all this stuff from the bowl sponsors. But in other situations a player gets in hot water if someone buys him a sammich. Funny that.

Because the NCAA allows it and monitors the gifts. They are only allowed to give so much of a dollar amount to each athlete.

http://www.ncaa.org/...tes+can+receive

Not only that, but I think the ncaa monitors gifts given to the players from their schools during the year and counts that against what they can get from the bowls. Like those gold pants the Ohio State players got have a monetary value and that counts against their bowl swag... or something like that.

From the link it's sounds more like the institution can give an annual gift, that is separate from the bowl package. But the bowl package can have gifts from the institution and the bowl committee that both count towards the post season award, so together they couldn't exceed the limit.

Funny how ncaa rules could be confusing. This group can give this gift and that group can give that gift, but only so much and no more and if you trade your gift for tattoos you're the worst person ever and there has to be a big investigation. But it's all a gift, and you're still an amateur, thousands of dollars later.

Funny how ncaa rules could be confusing. This group can give this gift and that group can give that gift, but only so much and no more and if you trade your gift for tattoos you're the worst person ever and there has to be a big investigation. But it's all a gift, and you're still an amateur, thousands of dollars later.

And the best part!... While everyone else has limits on what they can give the players... the NCAA can give unlimited gifts!

I think the limit is a value of $550 per player. And, I believe the "gift suites" are a room where many vendors/manufacturers set up tables and the players get to pickout whatever suits their fancy (watches, sunglasses, iPods, etc.) up to the $550 limit of course. If you've ever watched the Sopranos episode with Ben Kingsley, I think it's kind of like that.

I think the limit is a value of $550 per player. And, I believe the "gift suites" are a room where many vendors/manufacturers set up tables and the players get to pickout whatever suits their fancy (watches, sunglasses, iPods, etc.) up to the $550 limit of course. If you've ever watched the Sopranos episode with Ben Kingsley, I think it's kind of like that.

At the end of the day the gift "suite" is just a list we give to players and they mark off the quantity and item they want... not as sophisticated as they'd make you think.