Marvin Sanders to FAU

MLB 51

We might as well get a proven commodity since Bo encourages his guys to jump ship and take better jobs anyway. Why worry about the hot shots using this as a stepping stone when there's no one encouraged to be loyal anyway. Not that I'm saying it's wrong to move up....just might as well make Nebraska a place for proven coaches instead of a learning pedestal.

We might as well get a proven commodity since Bo encourages his guys to jump ship and take better jobs anyway. Why worry about the hot shots using this as a stepping stone when there's no one encouraged to be loyal anyway. Not that I'm saying it's wrong to move up....just might as well make Nebraska a place for proven coaches instead of a learning pedestal.

I'm seeing this word a lot lately. It doesn't really apply here. This is a business, and these coaches aren't buying into the fandom that we hold. We have loyalty. The coaches have jobs. In their profession, if they can get a promotion and make more money, they would be fools to stay at any school based on loyalty.

Those of us who work for someone else (as in, we don't own our own businesses), would any of you stay at your current position if you were offered a better position, better title, half again or twice as much money, and the chance to further your career? I know I'd be gone from my current job in two weeks if that opportunity came along.

• Fire 1

I'm seeing this word a lot lately. It doesn't really apply here. This is a business, and these coaches aren't buying into the fandom that we hold. We have loyalty. The coaches have jobs. In their profession, if they can get a promotion and make more money, they would be fools to stay at any school based on loyalty.

Those of us who work for someone else (as in, we don't own our own businesses), would any of you stay at your current position if you were offered a better position, better title, half again or twice as much money, and the chance to further your career? I know I'd be gone from my current job in two weeks if that opportunity came along.

You'd wait that long? That in itself is a pretty loyal act in today's world.

Well stated...............

i'm starting to think we'll end up with someone other than JP. the more time passes, the more likely that is to happen. and all the discussion about the available funds to hire a big name guy further supports this. they wouldn't even have gone down the road of identifying the available money if they were just going to promote JP and bump him up 100k. we'd probably save money in that scenario. they're bringing in outside hires IMO.

Agree. If it was JP, for continuity of current recruits and keeping the team focused, I think it would have been announced pretty soon. IIRC, Sip speculated that if not by Thursday (yesterday) he felt it would be an outside hire.

The days of guys (with talent) staying for a career are over. Head coach probably, but not up and coming coordinators or position coaches (Bud Foster an exception). Go with a big name, big splash guy to get us on the map again. Help with recruiting and get on staff to help with the bowl game.

On another note I saw were the NCAA is allowing Urban and his staff to recruit while the "old" staff does bowl prep.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/69ac66c2526c4216913adfbb166d7c28/FBC--Ohio-St-Coaches-Waiver/

it's a major problem w/ college football. there's such a huge financial gap between positions now-a-days. it's better financially to leave a steady position you could maintain for the next 20 years at 300k, get an HC job...get fired after 2 years and collect your 6 million buyout. there's little to no risk leaving. once you've signed your set. who wouldn't leave? the rest of us, while we may leave for a higher paying, better job don't get the luxury of avoiding all risk.

The question isn't whether or not it's a problem, the question is whether the concept of "loyalty" plays a role.

I don't for a second think Bo is "loyal" to Nebraska. He is not a fan, he is a coach, and he is part of a business. If a better offer comes along, I don't for one minute think Bo will stay here out of some sense of loyalty to Nebraska or Nebraska Fan.

The last loyal head coach we were likely to ever have was Frank Solich.

• Fire 2

The question isn't whether or not it's a problem, the question is whether the concept of "loyalty" plays a role.

I don't for a second think Bo is "loyal" to Nebraska. He is not a fan, he is a coach, and he is part of a business. If a better offer comes along, I don't for one minute think Bo will stay here out of some sense of loyalty to Nebraska or Nebraska Fan.

The last loyal head coach we were likely to ever have was Frank Solich.

To some degree, this is what is the most saddening about what has transpired over the last decade. I don't want to get into whether he should have been removed or not because that dead horse is getting sick and tired of being beaten. However, it appeared that Solich took the reigns during his time. When it was time for him to hang them up, most of us in this part of the state anyway assumed Gill would then be handed the reigns. For the most part, this is what made us unique. While other programs were always chasing the hot coaches, we just kept plowing along with a loyal staff. In the end, I believe this is why TO had the success he had at the end of his career.

As long as a fan base makes it known a coach is only one or two underwhelming seasons away from being fired, a coach will always consider 'better' job offers.

It's not out of the question Bo could develop loyalty to NU over time, but it starts with the fans and the job security he feels.

Knapplc is right, it's a job and a coach needs to make the best decision for his family.

The problem is, consistency is the hardest thing to achieve in football. NC are nice, but they are a byproduct of moons aligning (coaches, players, luck) not firing your coach every 5 years until you happen to hire the next (_fill in the blank_)

I can see Bo coaching a 7 win season at NU and I can see him winning a NC.

When either happens, Bo will get job offers to go elsewhere and his decision to leave will be based on what's best for his family.

The same thing applies to Bo's coaches...because they go as Bo goes.