Caputo - playing in the Cap-One Bowl?

knapplc

So your telling me..

1. You don't drink, or only have like one..maybe two 12 oz. beers when you go out. Nothing wrong with that. My parents don't drink at all.

2. Spend a lot of money on cabs when you were in college...now...or both.

3. Have the BEST friends ever to drive you around and not have a drink themselves.

4. Love to walk long distances and maybe even love jogging...or yogging (if your Ron Burgundy) at the wee hours of the night.

Just curious as to which it is.

I'm curious. What's your motivation for making excuses for a guy who drove over the legal limit? "Everyone does it" is BS. Not everyone drinks too much and gets behind the wheel.

We can all still like Caputo and wish him well and still think he's a dumbass for drinking and driving. You don't have to cover for him.

Because I don't judge people when I've made the same mistake at that age. No, not everyone does it, but Im sure many on this board and even some who have posted in this thread have.

He will learn from this and not make the same mistake again..hopefully. Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way. Now, whenever I know Im going out and Im going to drink a lot, me and some friends always switch off driving. But when I was 21, nobody would want to be DD because everyone wanted to drink.

Im sorry if you think Im standing up for him, Im not, Im just not going to crucify him like some have. Its called being a hypocrite.

Po- Since I am the one who first used the term "crucify" and I also admitted to a DWI while I was in college, I will assume that your hypocrite label was intended for me. It is not hypocritical, simply because you have done something in the past, to call those actions wrong or to point out the better choices another person should have made. It would only be hypocritical if that person still engaged in the same activities which they are criticizing, which I do not. And really no one has "crucified" him. Many including me have simply pointed out that his actions seemed selfish and stupid, potentially very dangerous, and most probably illegal. That isn't being a hypocrite, that's just acknowledging reality. On the other hand, you referred to it as merely a mistake. I will accept the "mistake" label since apparently no innocent people were harmed and if he learns from this and doesn't do it again. But the reality is that people who are caught driving while intoxicated have likely done it before and the odds are that they will do it again. (yes-that's one of the things I learned in my court mandated classes). I am proud to say that I have not made the same mistake in about the last 30 years and I am very sure I never will again. There is always another way (friend, taxi, parent, bus, neighbor, teammate, walk) to get where you are going and if you can't find one, then you don't go. Period. To be honest, I am a lot more concerned about a person who refuses to criticize this lack of responsibility, when there are so many college age board members reading this forum who need to hear the message, than I am about someone like me who has matured and learned from the things that I did wrong. The question a person has to ask is if they could live with themself if they killed or crippled someone while driving drunk. Thousands upon thousands of people have proven that "It won't happen to me" is not an option for this simple yes or no question.

• Fire 1

Po, did you get lit and hold up a liquor store and shoot up the saloon or something? I'm afraid we're building to a catharsis here.

I get where you're coming from, Po. Nobody thinks it's cool to drink and drive. Nobody is saying it is, and I think we all get that you're not saying it is. There's a time in our lives where we all make mistakes.

Weird thing that nobody thinks of, though - unless you do some dangerous thing for a living, or you're in the Armed Forces or you're a bank robber, the single most dangerous thing you will do all year is drive. And that's when you're stone-cold sober. The slightest distraction can mean death for you or someone around you. And 99% of people don't ever think of it that way, I'll bet.

Haha no, but I have been reading about the respiratory system, digestive system, urinary system and metabolism for the last 10 or so hours with occasional 20 min. breaks to come on here. And the only thing I got out of all those chapters is that mastication sounds like masturbation. Finals are kicking my butt right now, my brain has completely shut down and I need a drink. No drinking and driving, though :)

3. You don't need the "BEST friends ever" in order to have a designated driver or to just find someone who isn't drunk to drive

Im not necessarily talking about right now in your life. Im talking about when you were in HS/College. I assumed you were not, but I could be wrong. Please correct me if Im wrong.

It is pretty hard in college to find a sober friend to drive you home, assuming all your friends drink. If your going to a party, most of time all your friends will want to drink in order to have a good time, meet different people, talk to girls, get laid, etc.

This is not directed towards you Hercules, its just a hypothetical situation. Obviosuly I don't know you or your friends. If you had the luxury of finding sober people at a college or HS party to drive you home, that is awesome. Some are not so lucky to have people sober enough to get them home. So they make poor decisions and drive themselves.

I was talking about HS/College. When I was in HS/College, I didn't drive drunk. Ever. Not even close. Never will.

It's not about the inconvenience of not being able to find a ride home. It's not about the inconvenience of not being able to drink at a party even though you want to. It's about whether you're going to be selfish enough to put other people at risk by driving drunk. The decision to do that is inexcusable. If drunk drivers were the only ones who ever got hurt, then I wouldn't care - I'd say, "let them live their life the way they want." But far too often, it's the other person who is punished for the drunk driver's irresponsibility.

So your telling me..

1. You don't drink, or only have like one..maybe two 12 oz. beers when you go out. Nothing wrong with that. My parents don't drink at all.

2. Spend a lot of money on cabs when you were in college...now...or both.

3. Have the BEST friends ever to drive you around and not have a drink themselves.

4. Love to walk long distances and maybe even love jogging...or yogging (if your Ron Burgundy) at the wee hours of the night.

Just curious as to which it is.

I'm curious. What's your motivation for making excuses for a guy who drove over the legal limit? "Everyone does it" is BS. Not everyone drinks too much and gets behind the wheel.

We can all still like Caputo and wish him well and still think he's a dumbass for drinking and driving. You don't have to cover for him.

Because I don't judge people when I've made the same mistake at that age. No, not everyone does it, but Im sure many on this board and even some who have posted in this thread have.

He will learn from this and not make the same mistake again..hopefully. Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way. Now, whenever I know Im going out and Im going to drink a lot, me and some friends always switch off driving. But when I was 21, nobody would want to be DD because everyone wanted to drink.

Im sorry if you think Im standing up for him, Im not, Im just not going to crucify him like some have. Its called being a hypocrite.

Po- Since I am the one who first used the term "crucify" and I also admitted to a DWI while I was in college, I will assume that your hypocrite label was intended for me. It is not hypocritical, simply because you have done something in the past, to call those actions wrong or to point out the better choices another person should have made. It would only be hypocritical if that person still engaged in the same activities which they are criticizing, which I do not. And really no one has "crucified" him. Many including me have simply pointed out that his actions seemed selfish and stupid, potentially very dangerous, and most probably illegal. That isn't being a hypocrite, that's just acknowledging reality. On the other hand, you referred to it as merely a mistake. I will accept the "mistake" label since apparently no innocent people were harmed and if he learns from this and doesn't do it again. But the reality is that people who are caught driving while intoxicated have likely done it before and the odds are that they will do it again. (yes-that's one of the things I learned in my court mandated classes). I am proud to say that I have not made the same mistake in about the last 30 years and I am very sure I never will again. There is always another way (friend, taxi, parent, bus, neighbor, teammate, walk) to get where you are going and if you can't find one, then you don't go. Period. To be honest, I am a lot more concerned about a person who refuses to criticize this lack of responsibility, when there are so many college age board members reading this forum who need to hear the message, than I am about someone like me who has matured and learned from the things that I did wrong. The question a person has to ask is if they could live with themself if they killed or crippled someone while driving drunk. Thousands upon thousands of people have proven that "It won't happen to me" is not an option for this simple yes or no question.

Not at all. It was intended for me, as to say I don't want to be a hypocrite for judging Caputo. I was afraid someone would think I was calling them that. I apologize.

Po, did you get lit and hold up a liquor store and shoot up the saloon or something? I'm afraid we're building to a catharsis here.

I get where you're coming from, Po. Nobody thinks it's cool to drink and drive. Nobody is saying it is, and I think we all get that you're not saying it is. There's a time in our lives where we all make mistakes.

Weird thing that nobody thinks of, though - unless you do some dangerous thing for a living, or you're in the Armed Forces or you're a bank robber, the single most dangerous thing you will do all year is drive. And that's when you're stone-cold sober. The slightest distraction can mean death for you or someone around you. And 99% of people don't ever think of it that way, I'll bet.

Haha no, but I have been reading about the respiratory system, digestive system, urinary system and metabolism for the last 10 or so hours with occasional 20 min. breaks to come on here. And the only thing I got out of all those chapters is that mastication sounds like masturbation. Finals are kicking my butt right now, my brain has completely shut down and I need a drink. No drinking and driving, though :)

Go celebrate after your Finals are done, and if you aren't fit to drive, you give me a call and I'll get you home. Done deal.

What I don't understand is that I quit drinking to help with my performance in Duathlon, Triathlon and Cycling events in my mid 30's. I don't miss it a bit. It should be a no brainer to not touch a drop of alcohol when competing in a much more visible sport that could lead to a career. Didn't Corey McKeon hit the bar for a beer after every game in 2007? Priorities.

I love all the posters that talk about how they drink but never drove drunk. Newsflash, yes you have you just did not think you were drunk. Just like you thought you were being smooth with the girl you were hitting on and being funny with the jokes you were telling. You were wrong.

Oh yeah, you were also not all of a sudden stronger or tougher.

HAHAHA

What I don't understand is that I quit drinking to help with my performance in Duathlon, Triathlon and Cycling events in my mid 30's. I don't miss it a bit. It should be a no brainer to not touch a drop of alcohol when competing in a much more visible sport that could lead to a career. Didn't Corey McKeon hit the bar for a beer after every game in 2007? Priorities.

I don't know about McKeon, but I do remember after Barrett Ruud shaved off like .15 seconds from his 40 for the combine he stated that he trained harder and didn't drink nearly as much. When I was in college, the bars were typically packed with football players during and after the season. They played for a NC every year I was in college. Some time ago, Caputo's BAC would have been legal. Heck, it wasn't that many years he would have barely been over the limit as the limit less than a decade ago was .1.