Apparently Penn State talked to Bo about HC gig

Nexus

What do you realistically expect? 11-12 win season every damn year? Show me a team that can do that...

Nobody expects that but elite programs expect to win at least 10 games a year and reach their conference title game to get the chance at a BCS bowl game. It won't happen every year that's obvious, save me the that's unrealistic argument, it's as much of a mindset as it is reaching that goal.

http://www.omaha.com...ayer-disciplineAccording to his press conference, it does not sound like he was approached by Penn State

Do you believe that? With all of the speculation of Bo leaving so constant, I am starting to find it hard to believe him when he shoots down all the possibilities....

I don't know if Bo interview for Ohio. St., Miami, or Penn St.... BUT, if he did we should encourage him to leave....

I am very PRO BO, and I want him to be here his whole career, but we can't have a coach that is constantly looking elsewhere. It is bad for the program's progress...

I want Bo to stay, but not if he doesn't want to long term....

Wasn't longevity/commitment one of the things that Osborne mentioned when interviewing candidates for the job....

It seems like Bo isn't looking at other jobs-the other teams are looking at him. Big difference. Life is short folks. We don't know what tomorrow will bring. Right now, Bo Pelini is our coach. If something changes I'm sure he'll let us know. I'm with another poster. I think this is all 'much ado about nothing'.

Bo interviewed with Miami? LIE! Irresponsible reporting!

Bo interviewed with Ohio State? LIE! Irresponsible reporting!

Bo interviewed with Penn State? LIE! Irresponsible reporting!

It's fairly obvious that the whole world, especially respected media folks with no connection to Bo, are all out to get him.

If Bo was the only party denying that he talked with PSU, I'd be more skeptical. However, with Osborne issuing a strong denial rather than a simple "no comment", and with the original report being debunked by the information that PSU's AD wasn't in Texas at the same time as Bo, I'm finding it pretty easy to close the book on this one.

• Fire 2

We've noticed, hopefully soon he will start being concerned about the product on the field the fans pay for

Sadly, as extreme as some of your nonsense is, it actually probably has more potential for being accurate than the nonsense of the extreme homer who is ready to crown Bo as a great coach already because he's won 9 games every year for 4 years. I personally like to stay a little more down the middle on my views, but I get where you're coming from on a lot of stuff. I think a lot of your views are backed by fact and a lot of the sunshine pumper's views are backed by hope and blind faith.

people who bag on Bo can kiss my rosy-haired rectum..you all deserve that fraud called callahandjob

People who set the bar at Callahan and are happy with anything that's even a little better than what he gave us can kiss my rosy-haired rectum...you all deserve 9 win seasons, no conference championships and no BCS bowls.

See how that works both ways?? :)

And see how the bolded part can work both ways too? I could easily say that the successfulness of Bo's tenure here so far at Nebraska can be pointed out by facts while the "debbie-downer's" opinion is backed up by nothing more than blind ignorance.

There are 2 sides to every coin.

And times are much different now than they were 15 years ago. Do I want to see a national championship season? Hell yes I do. That would be absolutely one of the best things in the world. Is it reasonable for us to expect that? I think it is. One would think that we have the talent in place to make a run at it, and who knows...maybe we will in the near future. But you have a 1 in a 119 shot at making the national championship game at the beginning of each season.

Patience is what led this program to the "Promised land" in the past. Patience can only bring us success in the future.

Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne said Tuesday he has no reason to think Bo Pelini will not be the Cornhuskers' coach in 2012.

In the face of reports linking Nebraska's football coach to the opening at Penn State, Osborne said he has no sense that Pelini is unhappy with his job or situation at Nebraska.

"I think things are fine,'' Osborne said.

Addressing the reports directly on Tuesday after practice, Pelini said that he has not interviewed for the Penn State job, calling reports suggesting otherwise "irresponsible."

Continue Reading

We've noticed, hopefully soon he will start being concerned about the product on the field the fans pay for

Sadly, as extreme as some of your nonsense is, it actually probably has more potential for being accurate than the nonsense of the extreme homer who is ready to crown Bo as a great coach already because he's won 9 games every year for 4 years. I personally like to stay a little more down the middle on my views, but I get where you're coming from on a lot of stuff. I think a lot of your views are backed by fact and a lot of the sunshine pumper's views are backed by hope and blind faith.

people who bag on Bo can kiss my rosy-haired rectum..you all deserve that fraud called callahandjob

People who set the bar at Callahan and are happy with anything that's even a little better than what he gave us can kiss my rosy-haired rectum...you all deserve 9 win seasons, no conference championships and no BCS bowls.

See how that works both ways?? :)

And see how the bolded part can work both ways too? I could easily say that the successfulness of Bo's tenure here so far at Nebraska can be pointed out by facts while the "debbie-downer's" opinion is backed up by nothing more than blind ignorance.

There are 2 sides to every coin.

Not really seeing where you're coming from here...maybe I'm missing something? What I was referring to is that the extremest "Bo's the greatest coach ever" fans, once pushed to back up their stance on that, can really only come up with one thing to point toward...4 years of 9 win seasons. Conversely, when equally as extreme "Bo sucks" fans have to back their stance, they point toward a long list of things which tends to give their position some validity...inexperienced staff/hiring buddies, losses to teams we shouldn't be losing to every year, mismanagement of scholarships/redshirts, recruiting struggles, lack of identity/direction, young/inexperienced team excuses every year, Barney Cotton, regression in certain aspects of the game, no real quality wins, sideline antics, overly stubborn attitude toward media/fans, no conference championships, no BCS Bowls and on and on and on.

Again, I'm more down the middle than either of those, but I think it's easier to see why some fans can be soooo overly negative than why other fans can be soooo overly positive in their views.

Not really seeing where you're coming from here...maybe I'm missing something? What I was referring to is that the extremest "Bo's the greatest coach ever" fans, once pushed to back up their stance on that, can really only come up with one thing to point toward...4 years of 9 win seasons. Conversely, when equally as extreme "Bo sucks" fans have to back their stance, they point toward a long list of things which tends to give their position some validity...inexperienced staff/hiring buddies, losses to teams we shouldn't be losing to every year, mismanagement of scholarships/redshirts, recruiting struggles, lack of identity/direction, young/inexperienced team excuses every year, Barney Cotton, regression in certain aspects of the game, no real quality wins, sideline antics, overly stubborn attitude toward media/fans, no conference championships, no BCS Bowls and on and on and on.

Again, I'm more down the middle than either of those, but I think it's easier to see why some fans can be soooo overly negative than why other fans can be soooo overly positive in their views.

That's a straw man. Nobody thinks Bo Pelini is the greatest coach ever, or even the best coach in football today. You denounce extremist views with extremist views that don't represent what people are saying. The nine win thing is only part of what he's done. He's gotten our academics up to the highest team GPA since 1987. He has brought in a lot of great talent like Burkhead, Martinez, Kenny Bell, Kyler Reed, a bunch of offensive line guys, Dejon Gomes, Lavonte David, Ameer, Enunwa.... all kinds of guys. We have good players at a lot of positions because of Pelini. We've gone to a bowl in every year, we've won four of five bowls under Pelini, we've played in conference championship games two of the last three years.... the list goes on.

There is this thing out there where people are crying that "Bo is only hiring his buddies." But that's BS. The coaching fraternity is pretty small, and when you've been in it as long as Bo has, you're going to get to know a LOT of these guys. Who cares if they're buddies? Most coaches hire coaches they've worked with in the past, or know. It's the most common way of getting a coaching job. But because people want to bitch, they throw this out there like it's some huge problem. Les Miles didn't stock his coaching ranks with strangers, and neither did Nick Saban. Seems to be working out for them.

Bo sucks fans have no more validity than Bo is good fans. They just have a half empty glass. And you're not down the middle from the posts I've read. You praised that 97 guy who does nothing but bitch about Pelini in every single post. What a joke! There are so many positive things going on with the program right now. You've listed zero. That's not down the middle. That's negativity at its finest.

If you're so down the middle then spend a day posting nothing but positives about Nebraska. I'll bet you can't do it, or you slide backhanded digs in, or you just don't post.

• Fire 3

That's a straw man. Nobody thinks Bo Pelini is the greatest coach ever, or even the best coach in football today. You denounce extremist views with extremist views that don't represent what people are saying. The nine win thing is only part of what he's done. He's gotten our academics up to the highest team GPA since 1987. He has brought in a lot of great talent like Burkhead, Martinez, Kenny Bell, Kyler Reed, a bunch of offensive line guys, Dejon Gomes, Lavonte David, Ameer, Enunwa.... all kinds of guys. We have good players at a lot of positions because of Pelini. We've gone to a bowl in every year, we've won four of five bowls under Pelini, we've played in conference championship games two of the last three years.... the list goes on.

There is this thing out there where people are crying that "Bo is only hiring his buddies." But that's BS. The coaching fraternity is pretty small, and when you've been in it as long as Bo has, you're going to get to know a LOT of these guys. Who cares if they're buddies? Most coaches hire coaches they've worked with in the past, or know. It's the most common way of getting a coaching job. But because people want to bitch, they throw this out there like it's some huge problem. Les Miles didn't stock his coaching ranks with strangers, and neither did Nick Saban. Seems to be working out for them.

Bo sucks fans have no more validity than Bo is good fans. They just have a half empty glass. And you're not down the middle from the posts I've read. You praised that 97 guy who does nothing but bitch about Pelini in every single post. What a joke! There are so many positive things going on with the program right now. You've listed zero. That's not down the middle. That's negativity at its finest.

If you're so down the middle then spend a day posting nothing but positives about Nebraska. I'll bet you can't do it, or you slide backhanded digs in, or you just don't post.

Fair enough that I've never technically seen anyone say "Bo's the greatest coach ever" on here. But I have seen several people say "Bo is a great coach" and I guess we all just have different views on the definition of "great".

With regard to your other points...

Academics - We've always been fine in academics from what I remember. The "highest GPA since '87 stat" isn't winning any football games.

Great Talent - There's that term again. I'll give you Rex and David...maybe one or 2 more guys. You're really ready to call all of these guys "great"? Based on what? "A bunch of offensive line guys"??? You serious???

Bowls - Going to bowls every year is an extremely low bar. Considering like 70 teams go to bowls every year.

Conf Championship Games - Playing in the Big 12 North - again, just not that big of an accomplishment in my book.

I am all about hiring your buddies and think Bo's staff should be almost entirely made up of people he is very close with. I totally agree with everything you're saying here. The problem I have is when his pool of those buddies are unemployed golf coaches, high school coaches, etc and the whole staff is just a list of prospects. It might work, but it has to result in a much bigger learning curve than having some proven talent on the staff. I don't have a problem that Bo wants his buddies in there, I have a problem with which buddies he has in there.

I'm not calling for Bo to be fired. I think he should have 2 more years. I think he has a lot of potential. But I'm also not ready to say he's there yet because he still has a lot to prove. To me, that puts me down the middle but if you want to view that as being negative then more power to ya'.

So you're saying if we are still winning 9 or 10 games over the next 2 years but have no championship he should be fired? That's a very dangerous way of thinking!

And it's oh, so positive, too. :rolleyes:

Not trying to be "oh so positive" and never claimed I was. I said to you, knappic, in another post that 2 more years of 9-10 win seasons without any sort of championship is a big question mark and I don't know today how I'd want NU to handle that. I agree that firing a coach with 9-10 win seasons is crazy. BUT, that would be 6 years of what I think most people would consider pretty average football. I guess it would come down to who we beat and who we lost to and how we won and lost those games.

You tell me...you good with 9 win seasons and no championships for 6 years? How about 10 years? 20 years? How long is that sort of record good enough for you?

So you're saying if we are still winning 9 or 10 games over the next 2 years but have no championship he should be fired? That's a very dangerous way of thinking!

Not trying to be "oh so positive" and never claimed I was. I said to you, knappic, in another post that 2 more years of 9-10 win seasons without any sort of championship is a big question mark and I don't know today how I'd want NU to handle that. I agree that firing a coach with 9-10 win seasons is crazy. BUT, that would be 6 years of what I think most people would consider pretty average football. I guess it would come down to who we beat and who we lost to and how we won and lost those games.

You tell me...you good with 9 win seasons and no championships for 6 years? How about 10 years? 20 years? How long is that sort of record good enough for you?

I'm good with that for about 21 years, personally. If Bo's career is a duplicate of Tom's, with a few conference championships sprinkled here and there, a sniff at a title game once a decade, and decent overall, even with three losses per year, I'm good.

I'm good with that for about 21 years, personally. If Bo's career is a duplicate of Tom's, with a few conference championships sprinkled here and there, a sniff at a title game once a decade, and decent overall, even with three losses per year, I'm good.

But that's the thing...those 2 things in bold haven't happened yet (I know it's only been 4 years). You're adding conditions that completely change the premise. The question is how long are you willing to go with neither of those happening? How long are you willing to wait with 9-10 win seasons and no championships? You're willing to wait 21 years?

BTW...Tom won a conference championship in his 3rd year. So if you are looking for Bo's career to be a duplicate of Tom's, that ship has already sailed.