New DC announced: John Papuchis; new DL coach Rick Kaczenski

hskerholic

I know some people are disappointed and would've preferred a "splash" hire but to echo Dr. Osborne's sentiment on the deal, there are no guarantees that it'll pan out. Norm Chow comes to mind. UCLA was paying him $1.1 million per year and in his three years there as OC, his total offensive avg. ranking was 99th. Can you imagine Nebraska paying an OC with Norm's stature $1.1 million only to accomplish being 99th in total offense for three years?

I realize you can find a few examples of "splash" hires working out, but you'd likely find more that didn't, probably because it's the one's that didn't work out that we remember most.

Again without the rose colored glasses, Beck was the guy in charge of the RB's and we had no one step up besides Rex. The others did not pan out or left. Now JP goes from DL to DC. Every other thread talked about or DL being weak, getting exploited by the run, slow DE's etc and now JP is the DC. WOW!

So you're discounting Roy Helu (who's currently tearing up the NFL) and saying no one stepped up because three true freshmen couldn't get a lot of playing time behind our best offensive player? Maybe you took off your rose colored glasses and put on blinders.

Again without the rose colored glasses, Beck was the guy in charge of the RB's and we had no one step up besides Rex. The others did not pan out or left. Now JP goes from DL to DC. Every other thread talked about or DL being weak, getting exploited by the run, slow DE's etc and now JP is the DC. WOW!

So you're discounting Roy Helu (who's currently tearing up the NFL) and saying no one stepped up because three true freshmen couldn't get a lot of playing time behind our best offensive player? Maybe you took off your rose colored glasses and put on blinders.

After Roy, there was Rex. At the start of this year we had zero RB's with any experience. IMO, there was has been no real development at that position. Since 2008, Lucky, then 2009-2010 Roy, 2011 Rex. The rest either transferred or did not pan out. Never said Roy hasn't panned out. Same with Rex. He is money. Simply saying that we have not really had a track record of a solid 1-2 duo until last year. Next year we should be solid.

After Roy, there was Rex. At the start of this year we had zero RB's with any experience. IMO, there was has been no real development at that position. Since 2008, Lucky, then 2009-2010 Roy, 2011 Rex. The rest either transferred or did not pan out. Never said Roy hasn't panned out. Same with Rex. He is money. Simply saying that we have not really had a track record of a solid 1-2 duo until last year. Next year we should be solid.

why would we be solid when it will be Rex left, Rex right again in 2012?

Well, I'm glad the waiting game is finally over for everyone. Not that they announced anything that everybody didn't already know long ago. We definitely all knew that Papuchis was getting the DC job. I'm not sure what to make of this Kaczenski guy yet. We will surely find out about the coaching ability of both Pap and Kac soon.

I can't say I am overly excited or impressed with either hire. I just really hope it works out in the end. Unfortunately I must say this. As long as Bo continues to hire "first time" coordinators and young and inexperienced coaches at almost every level we will all be along for the ride as these guys learn the ins and outs of the job. We have watched Bo for 4 years now as he tries to grow into his own role. He still has a lot of learning to do. With a young inexperienced Head Coach and a young inexperienced staff time will tell if the athletic department and the state of Nebraska have the patience to allow things to develop.

I think I already know the answer to that.

Read the quotes from Beck about learning on the job and having to teach the coaches and kids. Year 2 he will still be learning as will the staff. Now same on the D side, IMO.

Guys cut their teeth on lower tier programs or schools in the FCS, not NU. We do not need to be a training ground for folks, especially not as a DC or IMO OC. Position coaches no worries.

This board has also talked about the issue of player development. How do you develop when you are learning, trying t teach your assistants and have them teach the stuff to the players.

Chance to make a huge splash. Swing and a miss.

In a few years, I am sure that JP and Beck might pan out. They might not. Does Bo have 3-4 years to find out?

And why do you say this? The thought of NU being a destination job is only in the eyes of the fans and nothing more. Every coach needs to get started somewhere, why not at a program like NU.

And other big programs have had a history of success with continually promoting from within. Oklahoma is one of the best examples, and probably an influence on how and why Bo is doing it this way.

Good point about OU. Difference is for Stoops it has paid dividends in that he has won MNC and conference championships. Helps appease the fan base. We have come very close, but no cigar. (with an OC who had been here since 2004 and Bo for all intensive purposes the DC and an experienced DB coach in Marvin)

Folks point out that we lost some games this year do to youth. Why does no one want to acknowledge that "youth" at the coaching level has the same type of issues.

I guess my rose colored glasses were on about NU being a destination, not a stop over. We really have not been a factor since 2001.

why would we be solid when it will be Rex left, Rex right again in 2012?

Well, Rex will be Rex and even going left and then rt, rushed for a 1000+ yrds, holds the single game carry record etc.... It also appears that AA is separating himself as the #2. Heard and Green got to little playing time IMO, BUT they did play. This gives us 4 backs returning that at least had carries not to mention Marrow. The RB position is the least of my worries for next year. Not to mention the position coach is Brown.

Well, I'm glad the waiting game is finally over for everyone. Not that they announced anything that everybody didn't already know long ago. We definitely all knew that Papuchis was getting the DC job. I'm not sure what to make of this Kaczenski guy yet. We will surely find out about the coaching ability of both Pap and Kac soon.

I can't say I am overly excited or impressed with either hire. I just really hope it works out in the end. Unfortunately I must say this. As long as Bo continues to hire "first time" coordinators and young and inexperienced coaches at almost every level we will all be along for the ride as these guys learn the ins and outs of the job. We have watched Bo for 4 years now as he tries to grow into his own role. He still has a lot of learning to do. With a young inexperienced Head Coach and a young inexperienced staff time will tell if the athletic department and the state of Nebraska have the patience to allow things to develop.

I think I already know the answer to that.

Read the quotes from Beck about learning on the job and having to teach the coaches and kids. Year 2 he will still be learning as will the staff. Now same on the D side, IMO.

Guys cut their teeth on lower tier programs or schools in the FCS, not NU. We do not need to be a training ground for folks, especially not as a DC or IMO OC. Position coaches no worries.

This board has also talked about the issue of player development. How do you develop when you are learning, trying t teach your assistants and have them teach the stuff to the players.

Chance to make a huge splash. Swing and a miss.

In a few years, I am sure that JP and Beck might pan out. They might not. Does Bo have 3-4 years to find out?

And why do you say this? The thought of NU being a destination job is only in the eyes of the fans and nothing more. Every coach needs to get started somewhere, why not at a program like NU.

And other big programs have had a history of success with continually promoting from within. Oklahoma is one of the best examples, and probably an influence on how and why Bo is doing it this way.

Good point about OU. Difference is for Stoops it has paid dividends in that he has won MNC and conference championships. Helps appease the fan base. We have come very close, but no cigar. (with an OC who had been here since 2004 and Bo for all intensive purposes the DC and an experienced DB coach in Marvin)

Folks point out that we lost some games this year do to youth. Why does no one want to acknowledge that "youth" at the coaching level has the same type of issues.

I guess my rose colored glasses were on about NU being a destination, not a stop over. We really have not been a factor since 2001.

There is also something to be said about maintaining systems and continuity. Teams that change systems every couple of years never go anywhere, and are usually lucky to be 6-6.

There is also no guarantee with veteran coaches. Take Turner Gill's staff at KU. Lots of years of experience from both OC and DC, and they end up with nothing.

Lets hope Bo knows good up and coming coaches when he sees them and things work out, otherwise....

Turner got the shaft. Two years is not enough time and then to be so stupid to bring in frontbutt. What a bunch of morons.

I am not impressed with this hire/promotion, but I beginning to think Bo has no choice. It seems Nebraska has no desire to pay for the top coaches, proven by hiring Bo for pennies at the time. I am going to believe Bo took the best he could afford. I have to.

Turner got the shaft. Two years is not enough time and then to be so stupid to bring in frontbutt. What a bunch of morons.

I am not impressed with this hire/promotion, but I beginning to think Bo has no choice. It seems Nebraska has no desire to pay for the top coaches, proven by hiring Bo for pennies at the time. I am going to believe Bo took the best he could afford. I have to.

i guess we should get used to coach shopping at Walmart........always low prices, always.

I am all for "knowing" what (who) you get when making a hire. I am also all for promoting form within.... If a guy has earned the opportunity to move up the ladder, then by all means, promote him. The jury is and will be out until next fall.

** But, in my honest opinion... Bo has surrounded himself with a bunch of "yes-men"....guys who he knows will let him handle as much as he chooses. Bo knows that JP will continue to let Bo "design" and "implement" the defensive game plan, and JP will be the figure-head who signals on game day. This is how he wants it.... Bo is a control freak, and that is extremely obvious to the most rose-colored glasses wearing fan.

If he was to bring in a "hot-shot' big name DC, then he may get a guy who is going to question Bo's thinking and demand a little room to coach.

Now, this whole reply isn't meant to be negative. Bo is the HC and with that responsibility he has the RIGHT to have as much control of this team and staff as he would like. Hell, he has the right to call the offense and defense..... This may be a great hire...... I am only stating my thoughts on why he did what he did.

Ok, now I will be "devils advocate" to my own post above....Maybe Bo just likes surrounding himself with a group of young and upcoming coaches whom he knows very well. He likes the idea of helping develop assistant coaches into HC material. He wants to create his own "coaching tree" similar to Hayden Fry or Bill Snyder....

or

He likes to keep a younger, more "hip" staff who can relate to the kids when the walk into the living rooms around the country.....

or

He just plain knows what he wants and really doesn't give a tinker's damn what the fans think...... (my money is on this thought...ha)