New DC announced: John Papuchis; new DL coach Rick Kaczenski

hskerholic

This was a new conference too. The expectations were too high this year. Having to play 12 games and most of them were brand new opponents, you are built for stopping and playing one style and have to change a little. There are bound to be bumps in the road.

Stop with the excuses. Our defense sucked and we have a defensive minded coach. We were dominated once again by mobile QB's and Bo still hasn't figured out how to beat one.

At NU the conference title is the expectation every year. If anyone thought about the MNC, then they were delusional. NU should NEVER be mentioned as a MNC contender until we can win a Conference first.

See this is a good example. Here you state Cosgrove. He's and example of an experienced BCS level DC not working out at NU. I don't think you know if these guys are under qualified or not. Last year a very under qualified high school coach turned OC won a national championship. Stating most schools grab NFL guys or experienced lower level coordinators isn't true. And even if they do it doesn't give them a greater chance of success.

You guys bad mouthing Bo. How can you call yourself fans. You guys shouldnt be on these boards. You guys are what brings Nebraska down. Think and say positve and good things happen.

Run a thought experiment for me. Return in your mind to the ancient year of 2007 and imagine posting this exact sentiment with one minor alteration. Change "Bo" to "Cosgrove."

Thinking and saying positive things has nothing to do with whether or not good things actually happen. We have two trainee coordinators backing up a young head coach. It's fair to say that wish thinking has become something of a staple of the Nebraska program these days. Like, for instance, I hope my under qualified coordinators can actually be coordinators. Normally at major programs you avoid this terrifying question by simply hiring coordinators with proven track records either at a lower level, the D-1 level, or the NFL level. But hey, we're the luckiest guys in Las Vegas. If we just think good thoughts, wish upon a star, and join in a rousing chorus of "I believe I can fly," our coordinators will suddenly be infused with the years of experience that most major programs can boast.

Or something like that.

Here's the thing. The best the Orson Welles clappers can do for Pap right now is fix their ties, look you straight in the face, and say, "Well, he might not suck." That's really it. The rest is blind speculation and a silent prayer that Bo takes over the defense again. Because they can't say with any level of certainty that Pap is a great hire based on his record. There is no record. There's always the chance it works out. There's always the chance it doesn't.

But hey, here's hoping.

Cosgrove was a failure and his mediocrity was well documented. The idea that thinking positive somehow bends reality is ridiculous. The idea that a track record of success doesn't guarantee success is a non-point. Of course it doesn't. What it does is increase the odds of it happening, all other factors being equal. I'm a fan of playing the odds. Experienced, seasoned, successful coordinators tend to succeed at coordinating.

I have zero problem with Bo not going the usual "proven" route. Did you watch N. Chow with UCLA? Hawkins with Colorado? "Superbowl" Callahan with Nebraska? I could go on forever......total and complete disaster hires with "proven" resumes.

It's Bo's call and I'm good with it. Just because you imply they're unqualified doesn't make it true or factual whatsoever. I just wish upon a star Bo continues to trust his own decisions. It's the only way to go.

GBR!!

You don't have to wish. The record already bore it out. Bo's record of hiring makes it a hair short of an absolute certainty that if he ever has the opportunity to hire again, he will do so in a similar fashion to what we've seen since he became a coach. You're good with it? Great. Hope it works out.

agree, the trend is set for this part of who Bo is as a HC........pretty risky, hope most of the fans have a long term perspective.

This was a new conference too. The expectations were too high this year. Having to play 12 games and most of them were brand new opponents, you are built for stopping and playing one style and have to change a little. There are bound to be bumps in the road.

Stop with the excuses. Our defense sucked and we have a defensive minded coach. We were dominated once again by mobile QB's and Bo still hasn't figured out how to beat one.

At NU the conference title is the expectation every year. If anyone thought about the MNC, then they were delusional. NU should NEVER be mentioned as a MNC contender until we can win a Conference first.

But yet here we set getting ready to play in the highest bowl game outside the BCS. He must be doing something right.

You guys bad mouthing Bo. How can you call yourself fans. You guys shouldnt be on these boards. You guys are what brings Nebraska down. Think and say positve and good things happen.

Run a thought experiment for me. Return in your mind to the ancient year of 2007 and imagine posting this exact sentiment with one minor alteration. Change "Bo" to "Cosgrove."

Thinking and saying positive things has nothing to do with whether or not good things actually happen. We have two trainee coordinators backing up a young head coach. It's fair to say that wish thinking has become something of a staple of the Nebraska program these days. Like, for instance, I hope my under qualified coordinators can actually be coordinators. Normally at major programs you avoid this terrifying question by simply hiring coordinators with proven track records either at a lower level, the D-1 level, or the NFL level. But hey, we're the luckiest guys in Las Vegas. If we just think good thoughts, wish upon a star, and join in a rousing chorus of "I believe I can fly," our coordinators will suddenly be infused with the years of experience that most major programs can boast.

Or something like that.

Here's the thing. The best the Orson Welles clappers can do for Pap right now is fix their ties, look you straight in the face, and say, "Well, he might not suck." That's really it. The rest is blind speculation and a silent prayer that Bo takes over the defense again. Because they can't say with any level of certainty that Pap is a great hire based on his record. There is no record. There's always the chance it works out. There's always the chance it doesn't.

But hey, here's hoping.

Yeah, I like that and here's why: We've all seen the 'splash hires' go bad (Mike Stoops to Arizona State; Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame; Rick Neuheisal at UCLA) There is no guarentee that even if we would've obtained a veteran coach that he would've worked here. With Pap there is an advantage in that he knows the program, has a good working relationship with the head coach and the players love him. It might've taken a couple of years to have happened with a new coach plus there is no transition. The guys already know Pap and now they can just press on. I'm excited to see what he'll bring to the table. The hire from Iowa (Coach K) sounds interesting too. It's going to be an interesting off season here on the Huskerboard!

Statistically, the D has dropped off significantly. Blame this on the loss of all everything SUH and then Haag, Gomes and Prince. Lack of depth (playing time) really meant we had very few guys to step in immediately. This year, as much as I bagged on Raymond, our pass D has improved tremendously. I think he realized that it is ok to play grab a$$ all over the field as the B1G does not really appear to call interference on anyone. So there is hope. I also think that recruiting for the spread has hurt. Next year we should be more physical. Trying to get quick kids big got them slow ie Cam, Martin I will even throw in Austin and Thorell. Both seemed quicker last year.

The mobile QB is the achilles heel of Bo. No doubt. I really hope that between now and Jan 2 he talks with someone who can figure out how to stop one. This season, Robinson, the kid from Wyoming, rolling Carr out, NW etc....played very well against us. Our D this season looked like the plodding slow D of 2007. I am still a huge proponent of unleashing Osborne/Cooper/SJB in a Super D role and unvail this beast upon USC. I can not remember the first game Super D was unleashed in 2003, but I remember being in awe of a guy who seemed to rack up 10 sacks, 10 TFL and 10 fumbles in one game. If Bo does this, USC will not have an answer.

Or something like that.

But hey, here's hoping.

The best Orson Welles clappers can do for anyone who Bo hires as DC is look you straight in the face and say, "Well, he might not suck."

I understand your skepticism and I am personally okay with what you have to say [which probably doesn't matter much to you anyways but...]. At least you're skepticism has more validity than some of the other "nay-sayers"

This whole we must hire proven coordinators to have any shot of success is getting old. It's a valid opinion and idea, but it's not the only way to be successful.

We get it, we will only win games when we have easy schedules. We will never beat teams that are actually good. Not like in '77 (Osborne's 5th year) when we lost in Memorial Stadium to Washington State and Iowa State and went 9-3. Or '78 when we lost at home to Mizzou and went 9-3. or in '92 when we lost to a 4-7 Iowa State team and went 9-3. Osborne won 9 games in 6 of his first 9 seasons. Fire Osborne!
So in over a quarter century, Osbornes ugliest losses equal to one season of Bos? Is that the point you're trying to make? Last years fiasco was beyond bad coaching, this year was a direct result of that.

It took Tom 21 YEARS to win the MNC, and had ten 9 win seasons and 13 bowl losses. I'm sorry but I have to question your sanity at this point. Tom took over a team that went back to back MNCs, Pelini took over a team that was losing seasons. The insane turn around that Pelini has brought to Nebraska should be celebrated. We're at a point where we can get upset about not winning championships, instead of yearning for winning seasons. If anything that earns him a decade.

We get it, we will only win games when we have easy schedules. We will never beat teams that are actually good. Not like in '77 (Osborne's 5th year) when we lost in Memorial Stadium to Washington State and Iowa State and went 9-3. Or '78 when we lost at home to Mizzou and went 9-3. or in '92 when we lost to a 4-7 Iowa State team and went 9-3. Osborne won 9 games in 6 of his first 9 seasons. Fire Osborne!
So in over a quarter century, Osbornes ugliest losses equal to one season of Bos? Is that the point you're trying to make? Last years fiasco was beyond bad coaching, this year was a direct result of that.

It took Tom 21 YEARS to win the MNC, and had ten 9 win seasons and 13 bowl losses. I'm sorry but I have to question your sanity at this point. Tom took over a team that went back to back MNCs, Pelini took over a team that was losing seasons. The insane turn around that Pelini has brought to Nebraska should be celebrated. We're at a point where we can get upset about not winning championships, instead of yearning for winning seasons. If anything that earns him a decade.

last years fiasko? Your a piece of work! Well said NO-HUSKER-FAN.

last years fiasko? Your a piece of work! Well said NO-HUSKER-FAN.

Easy easy son...he was talking to Not since 97. He is a Bo supporter.

John Papuchis said Friday that Nebraska coach Bo Pelini will always be putting his touches on the Husker defense, no matter who is serving as his defensive coordinator.

And Papuchis, who was elevated to that position Thursday, understands why.

"The reason why he got the position he got here is because he's a great defensive coach," Papuchis said. "That's his strength. Why then, when he'd get to be a head coach, would you go away from what your strength is? So Bo will always — always — have a huge footprint on what we're doing on defense."

Continue Reading

See this is a good example. Here you state Cosgrove. He's and example of an experienced BCS level DC not working out at NU. I don't think you know if these guys are under qualified or not. Last year a very under qualified high school coach turned OC won a national championship. Stating most schools grab NFL guys or experienced lower level coordinators isn't true. And even if they do it doesn't give them a greater chance of success.

This is an extremely sensible post and I hope that all, even those critical of these hires, show some reason when discussing it instead of devolving into simple anger.

These hires may or may not work out, but higher profile ones do not necessarily guarantee it. Last year's hires for the offensive staff were more befuddling than the current ones and probably still cause more worry.

My concern mostly is it seems to be another case where we are going to be hearing, should things turn south, 'give them time. they need more years to learn on the job.' Who knows.