Jamal...On the Rebound

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111224/BIGRED/712249850/-1#turner-looks-to-rebound-like-he-has-his-whole-life

Merry Christmas everyone! Just wanted to share a great article by Jon Nytawa (sp?) Sounds like Jamal's getting back on track and hope he gets the chance to show it in the bowl game. I think we all know how special he could be. Forgot about that drop he had in the Minnesota game...truly shows how much of the game is mental sometimes.

Great read, especially for all of those who were wondering why Jamal wasn't getting PT.

I hope for great things for him. Sounds like a great kid and is an amazing athlete!

Exactly.

So much for the "Bo only plays favorite players" BS that's spewed out endlessly. He's a great kid who needs to learn his plays, improve to at least a marginal blocker & catching the ball more consistently. He's not whining and sobbing about anything (leave that to the internet fans). He's simply got a great attitude and will prevail just fine.

GBR!!

• Fire 4

Great read, especially for all of those who were wondering why Jamal wasn't getting PT.

I hope for great things for him. Sounds like a great kid and is an amazing athlete!

Exactly.

So much for the "Bo only plays favorite players" BS that's spewed out endlessly. He's a great kid who needs to learn his plays, improve to at least a marginal blocker & catching the ball more consistently. He's not whining and sobbing about anything (leave that to the internet fans). He's simply got a great attitude and will prevail just fine.

GBR!!

That is all fine and dandy that he needs to "learn the offense" and "learn how to block" and are valid points. But why couldn't he do that while red shirting instead of wasting a year of eligibility for nothing? That wasn't too bright.

• Fire 1

Exactly.

GBR!!

That is all fine and dandy that he needs to "learn the offense" and "learn how to block" and are valid points. But why couldn't he do that while red shirting instead of wasting a year of eligibility for nothing? That wasn't too bright.

You didn't actually read the article, did you?

• Fire 1

Exactly.

GBR!!

Well I wouldn't call it wasted, he was still amongst the team leaders in receiving stats.

Exactly.

GBR!!

You didn't actually read the article, did you?

If it isn't an article celebrating the death of Husker football, the firing of Bo Pelini, or the Doom and Gloom surrounding the program, AFdebbiedowner will not give it a look. So of course he didn't

I still have reservations about how his year was handled nonetheless. It's a nice PR piece and I think everyone knows JT is a great kid. There wasn't anyone more enthusiastic to become a Husker than him. Knowing that he was learning a new position and trying to play it at a D1 level while doing that, I think there were some things that could have been done to get the ball in his hands while he learned. I don't understand how you don't scheme to get the ball in his hands 3 times a game minimum, practice habits or not. He was a quarterback and he could have had a wildcat package for instance.

I still have reservations about how his year was handled nonetheless. It's a nice PR piece and I think everyone knows JT is a great kid. There wasn't anyone more enthusiastic to become a Husker than him. Knowing that he was learning a new position and trying to play it at a D1 level while doing that, I think there were some things that could have been done to get the ball in his hands while he learned. I don't understand how you don't scheme to get the ball in his hands 3 times a game minimum, practice habits or not. He was a quarterback and he could have had a wildcat package for instance.

While you make some valid points.................and I would have loved to seem him on the field, from a team perspective, how do you allow him some packages and reps if you have told the entire team your playing time is earned on the practice field.....and then there are exceptions??

Seems to me the whole chemistry is affected if 1 is allowed to dog it and is rewarded with PT, and others are held to a differing standard.

By the way, the article I thought was more than just a PR piece. It does answer some questions most of us had about WHY he wasn't seeing the field. Love his attitude now and hope it translates quickly ............maybe as soon as Jan 2........!

• Fire 1

While you make some valid points.................and I would have loved to seem him on the field, from a team perspective, how do you allow him some packages and reps if you have told the entire team your playing time is earned on the practice field.....and then there are exceptions??

Seems to me the whole chemistry is affected if 1 is allowed to dog it and is rewarded with PT, and others are held to a differing standard.

By the way, the article I thought was more than just a PR piece. It does answer some questions most of us had about WHY he wasn't seeing the field. Love his attitude now and hope it translates quickly ............maybe as soon as Jan 2........!

My comment on the PR aspect of it is due mostly to the fact that I'd already heard the practice habits stories from sources on the message boards a couple months ago. There are a lot of dissimilar treatments of players on this team so speaking for myself I don't see that it's a big issue if he still plays some if he has a bad practice. Some have a long leash and some have a short one. Some can make multiple mistakes and play and some make one and have their face put on a milk carton. He was probably getting frustrated that he knew he could contribute in other ways but was stuck learning and perfecting technique in a new position before he could. Perfectly understandable to me. My opinion is admittedly skewed on this one because I just think the kid is a difference maker on the field.