Fans Should expect more

What kind of bogus made-up stat is 10-7 in the last 17 games? How does this season and the last four games of last season become some benchmark? Talk about arbitrarily choosing a time frame to support some bogus point.

We went 10-4 last year, 9-4 this year. That's 19-8 over our last 27 games. That's a real time frame to look at, not something arbitrarily contrived to produce a point.

• Fire 4

"Our guys didn't do what they were coached to do," Pelini said of the play. "Period. End of story."

I find this to be very concerning. You don't throw your team under the bus like this. These are YOUR players, Pelini and it's YOUR responsibility to get them to play like you coach them to.

You'll find this out when you have kids. Bo's not throwing the team under the bus-he's just telling the truth. You can coach a kid til you're blue in the face but if they don't do what you've coached them to do then what can you do? When you tell your kid, 'Don't touch that hot stove, it will burn you!' and they turn around and touch it, what can you do? So how is it Bo's responsibility to get them to play like he coaches them? He can't go out on the field and hold their hand! My point is this: At some point, these kids are going to have to be accountable for what they are taught in practice. They are going to have to be responsible for their mistakes. No one says anything when these kids do what they were coached to do. Everything is fine then. But when they don't execute it's all the coach's fault. I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Do we have problems? Yep. But can we really blame all of this on the coach?

If you've played competitive sports, then you know that it doesn't matter how true Bo's words were, a coach does not publicly put blame on his players. That is something that is to be done in a private setting. Publicly throwing your team under the bus is how you lose your locker room. And yes, when players consistently do not execute, that burden rests squarely upon the shoulders of the coaches. It is their job (that they are very well payed for) to insure these young men are ready to play week in and week out.

Bingo!!!!!! I agree. Yes I'm disappointed and heartsick and all butt hurt like many in the Husker Nation are today. I'm not for getting rid of Bo or any other hysterical reactions,, but yeah I'm not ashamed for admitting that as a fan I was hoping and expecting more. I understand that the Huskers will lose games, but yesterday it was how they lost that has most fans, including myself riled up. Anyways I wish Bo and company the best, along with his staff, and the players expected to take the field next season, in hopes they take a hard lesson from this final game and get to working on not just fixing things, but moving towards becoming a top tier program once again.

What kind of bogus made-up stat is 10-7 in the last 17 games? How does this season and the last four games of last season become some benchmark? Talk about arbitrarily choosing a time frame to support some bogus point.

We went 10-4 last year, 9-4 this year. That's 19-8 over our last 27 games. That's a real time frame to look at, not something arbitrarily contrived to produce a point.

THANK YOU!.....sick of the "Lets fire everyone and start from scratch groups"

yeah, but you've got 7-8 built in wins there w/ our cup-cake non-con schedule. (i know every team does as well). but when you look at the games that actually matter, we're sitting at like 12-8ish.

These players are not well prepared. And, not to mention, we are being out coached when it comes to half time adjustments.

Sort of (fundamentals asside) disagree w/ the first part, agree w/ the second.

I think what we are seeing in a DC in an HC role. (surprise I know). This team is well prepared going into the game (which is what coordinators do). You saw it against Wisconsin, you saw it against South Carolina, Michigan State, etc. Bo has his guys ready to play, he and Beck have a solid game plan going into the game. Our problem is coaching during the game. Your game prep gets you through the first quarter, second quarter tops. But at half time we get out-coached. Wisconsin, South Carolina, etc. I'd even say Fresno State out coached us. That's where I have a concern.

We were 9-4 this year. You can compare athletes all you want, but in how many of those 13 games did we hold an edge in coaching? We have (and always will have) a young staff. I'd say looking at this years schedule Fresno State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, Michigan & South Carolina would all outcoach us. Add in Ohio State to that now. 8 of 13? Wow.

Talk about recruiting, flip out over firing a guy that wins 9 games a year. I don't care. But as long as we are getting out coached during the game, we're going to lose 4 games a year. Bo isn't the issue here either (maybe his ego is). I'm fine w/ Bo. Bo's staff is the issue. Cotton still being here is an issue. JP to DC is an issue. Beck to OC is an issue. If we want an junior level program, hire a junior level staff.

yeah, but you've got 7-8 built in wins there w/ our cup-cake non-con schedule. (i know every team does as well). but when you look at the games that actually matter, we're sitting at like 12-8ish.

So we're roughly hitting at .600 on games that actually matter. The margin between victory and loss in those games often comes down to our mistakes. Button those up and we're in decent shape.

Is that likely to happen? Your guess is as good as mine. It's certainly possible.

"Our guys didn't do what they were coached to do," Pelini said of the play. "Period. End of story."

I find this to be very concerning. You don't throw your team under the bus like this. These are YOUR players, Pelini and it's YOUR responsibility to get them to play like you coach them to.

As an outsider looking in, I'll agree with you.

My take, again as an outsider, was I was impressed with your players, they made some great plays. A lot of the mistakes I saw were mental mistakes and ultimately I always blame those on how well they've been coached. I was NOT impressed by your coach(es). Take that for what it's worth.

Is it just me or hasn't Pelini called himself out multiple times during post game loses in the last couple of years? I don't think this generalization of throwing players under the bus has any legs.

I tend to believe that Pelini needs to change the culture of the program. Of course it was easy to do when he arrived, but his approach (his leadership, what he wanted to do and how he wanted to do it) was probably flawed. I don't think that is as big of an issue as people make it out to be. After all, he is a firery, first time coach that had a lot of success as a coordinator. Although he'd never admit it, I would venture to believe he probably thought being a head coach at this level was easier than what it turned out to be. Now that he is here, it will be more difficult to change things (culture). I think that is what he is working on that now.

I still believe that the next two years will show us if Pelini is the guy or not. I'm looking for consistency from the team and not NC's at this point. Only one team wins a national championship.

And recently those losses have been getting worse and worse. Fine we played Texas close over two years ago. This year our losses to good opponents were not competitive. Last year we lost in a crappy bowl game, imploded in the second half against OU, lost embarrassingly to A&M (possibly the turning point to the negative for Bo's career), and the Texas game was crap.

Really the last time we could say "it sucks we lost, but I applaud our effort" was the Texas championship game.

It might not be fair to just look at the losses in the past two years, but it's looking an awful lot like a bad trend that needs to be cut off before it gets even worse.

Nothing special about this team except our storied past. We have more components on this team that are below par starting with the coaching staff. Fundamentals....protecting the ball, catching the ball, burning underused red shirts, protecting the end zone against a play that every man, woman and child watching the game knew was coming. And all those penalties? It's the last game of the season not the first....inexcusable! I am not turning my back on this team but I am not going to Al Bundy around and drink the warm sugar free koolade and act like everything is ok.

Everything is great! If you are content with a Joe Shmoe program.

I live in a Colorado and travel around for work. And when I tell people that i am from Nebraska the response is usually "oh! You guys used to be really good in football" that is the average outside perception of this program.

Huge fan but discouraged, disappointed and grasping tightly to the slipping pride of this past season. Looking forward to the 2012 Husker football season and erasing the words "used to be" out of any conversations regarding Nebraska football. Go big red!!! Get your Sheet together.