Corey Raymond

majech

The players need to be held accountable also, just like the coaches need to be.

I agree, but that isnt crap you spew to the media. I think it should be kept within the team, but just my opinion.

Marvin did more with less? 3 of his Dbs are in the NFL? Our secondary played very well.

Exactly. Marvin made converted RB and 3 star players into first round draft picks. I think Raymond has more raw talent to work with, just cant develope it like Marvin could.

It's been one year, and you're already saying he can't develop talent? Marvin had three years and the majority of the starting secondary graduated last year. How good was the secondary after Marvin's first year? Just saying comparing Marvin's three years to Corey's one is a little unfair, don't ya think?

honestly, I think it was a low blow by Raymond. Marvin did more with less! Without LSU type talent, Raymond seems to be struggling. And, instead of taking it like a man, he blames it on the players. WOW!

I lost some respect for him after that. Is it taken out of context? I dont know..

yep, i think Cally went down this hershey highway on his way out the door...imagine if you are a returning defender, knowing your coach thinks you have little or no talent.......i guess you could take that either way......not sure about any of our coaches anymore.

He didn't state our guys didn't have talent. He stated the other team had better athletes and we need to match that talent because we don't have it right now. I don't agree with him hanging out the dirty laundry but I'm not going to pin him on a cross for it either. I don't know if it was a way of trying to motivate guys or not but I guess I would hope that it does. Watching that game their guys had swagger and our guys seemed to back down.

The players need to be held accountable also, just like the coaches need to be.

I agree, but that isnt crap you spew to the media. I think it should be kept within the team, but just my opinion.

Marvin did more with less? 3 of his Dbs are in the NFL? Our secondary played very well.

Exactly. Marvin made converted RB and 3 star players into first round draft picks. I think Raymond has more raw talent to work with, just cant develope it like Marvin could.

It's been one year, and you're already saying he can't develop talent? Marvin had three years and the majority of the starting secondary graduated last year. How good was the secondary after Marvin's first year? Just saying comparing Marvin's three years to Corey's one is a little unfair, don't ya think?

and it is a little early in Raymond's career to be bitching about what he is given to work with too.....suck it up Corey and go get some better athletes if you aren't satisfied, you damn whiner!!

Well, we definitely didn't have the talent USC had but neither does Stanford and look what they can do with less. Now I know Luck is special but hell, their defense is better than ours and no way do they have more defensive talent than we do!!

It may be a little unfair in his first year, but I think he painted a target on his back by calling out his own players to the "enemy" (the media). Had he said "We need to work on being more physical and fighting back, that is something I will emphasis this offseason" I would have gained a ton more respect for him. I just didn’t like the way he handled the situation.

It may be a little unfair in his first year, but I think he painted a target on his back by calling out his own players to the "enemy" (the media). Had he said "We need to work on being more physical and fighting back, that is something I will emphasis this offseason" I would have gained a ton more respect for him. I just didn’t like the way he handled the situation.

probably didn't do much for any future recruits either.....Raymond thinks that comment will help recruiting? WTF?

probably didn't do much for any future recruits either.....Raymond thinks that comment will help recruiting? WTF?

His comments won't affect recruiting. Look at the kids he is recruiting and that will tell you that he is already trying to raise the talent level here. He knows what it take along with Bo and every other coach we have on our staff.

Raymond should either issue a public apology or turn in a resignation for this comment. If the talent wasn't on the field why didn't we substitutions? Corey Cooper, Harvery Jackson, P.J. Smith, and C. Osbourne I'm sure would like to have had a chance in that game among others. I've said it once and I'll say it again, Bo needs to answer for Marvin Sanders being fired. Either with results on the field or a public explanation.

Point the thumb? Right Bo?

It's amazing to me that any coach on this team wants to point fingers at any players. Absolutely f'ing' amazing. If a player is not executing isn't it your job to teach them to execute? If they are continuously failing to execute, is it not your responsibility to replace them? Maybe teach someone else to execute? Isn't blaming players pretty much just an indictment of yourself and your lack of ability as a coach? I believe it is.

Bo pretty much called out the players after the game too. I won't quote him exactly because I've wasted enough time listening to the crap that spews out of Bo's mouth, but he basically said, we told them what we wanted them to do, they just didn't do it. Point the thumb? Sounds like a bunch of bullsh#t to me. Speaking out of both sides of the mouth. Kind of like, (to journalist) I don't read the crap you guys write...........I read what you wrote on Friday.

Don't take this as a bash on Bo Pelini. He still has my support. Take away his win - loss record though, which is pretty impressive, other than that he represents this University very poorly with some of his press conference and sideline antics..

I bagged on this guy like nobodies business. He proved me wrong. He really turned our secondary around from where we started in game one.

I really like his interview and comments below. This guy "Gets It". Hope he can find it. Gives me faith that at least one guy on the staff has a pitbull mentality.

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/01/03/dirks-brunch-bites-jan-3/

The most interesting interview after the game was with Corey Raymond. The secondary coach wasn’t convinced Nebraska had enough talent to beat South Carolina, especially in the secondary.

“Just be honest,” Raymond said. “Look at them, look at us. It’s pretty obvious.”

What did Raymond mean? He didn’t spell it out, but he made veiled criticisms of Nebraska’s personnel. For instance, what did he take from this game going into the offseason?

“Hopefully it helps recruiting. Get athletes.”

Was he encouraged by how NU matched up man-for-man? “Not necessarily.”

Raymond went on to compare the mentality of Southern players versus Nebraska’s players. His guys needed to learn how to punch back once they got “hit in the mouth.”

“You can’t live on what other guys have done in the past around here,” Raymond said. “You have to live on yourself…We’re not Prince. We’re not Eric Hagg. We’re not those guys. We have to do much different things. We have to work harder. We’re not the same athletes as those guys.”

Of course, Nebraska’s two best defensive athletes — Alfonzo Dennard and Lavonte David — are leaving.

>> Hop

There is another thread that is calling these comments unacceptable.....FYI.

edit...looks like they just were merged......

For what it's worth. When I was a member of a national power (non DI program) we received very similar lashing. Although it wasn't public, we were told to stop thinking that were the same team as previous players. We hadn't accomplished what they had and we needed to work harder. I find Rayond's comments interesting and may be telling about what is actually going on.