Corey Raymond

majech

Wanting tough, mean, nasty cornerbacks (and defenders in general) is incompatible with this hand-holding nonsense people seem to expect from our coaches. If these guys are Blackshirts, they can handle what amounts to a very mild tongue lashing by their position coach.

I tend to agree with this, but in this case I think Raymond went a little too far. Even if what he says is true, the kids just aren't good enough, that's just something I would like the coaches not saying at all, to anyone.

People gave Bo crap for saying the execution wasn't there (and it wasn't). That's something I'm fine with, Bo's not saying they're not good enough, he's saying they are good enough, they just need to execute.

Wanting tough, mean, nasty cornerbacks (and defenders in general) is incompatible with this hand-holding nonsense people seem to expect from our coaches. If these guys are Blackshirts, they can handle what amounts to a very mild tongue lashing by their position coach.

I tend to agree with this, but in this case I think Raymond went a little too far. Even if what he says is true, the kids just aren't good enough, that's just something I would like the coaches not saying at all, to anyone.

People gave Bo crap for saying the execution wasn't there (and it wasn't). That's something I'm fine with, Bo's not saying they're not good enough, he's saying they are good enough, they just need to execute.

I don't mind Raymond calling out the players. What I take issue with is that he did not include himself and the coaching as well. If they are truly a "team" then he needs to raise his hand first before raising his players hand

I don't mind Raymond calling out the players. What I take issue with is that he did not include himself and the coaching as well. If they are truly a "team" then he needs to raise his hand first before raising his players hand

i just hope Raymond isn't suddenly developing the "Callahan Complex", just after his first year? :wtf

You can't handle the truth!!!!!

Seems to ring a bell for me. Honesty is the best policy. State facts, make efforts to make corrections and see where you are at.

These players are Bo's kids, he recruited them or kept them around for four years. If they are not what is needed and do not have the ability to develop into what is needed, that is on Bo.

I like having the truth on the table. A coach that tells it like it is. Long range a positive it seems to me. If all things were revealed my guess is we are under talented at almost all positions, but the real problem is we have coaches that are learning their jobs trying to teach kids how to do theirs. This again goes back to the staff and its lack of preperation/training/on field time.

We read on here how we have the talent to play with the top programs, but we have a coach now telling it like it is. Some do not like that, but it really tells us where we are. Beginning of the year we were supposed to be one of the best defenses in the country. I never happened. We were led to believe it by the staff. For me tell it like it is, I can deal with it.

I have no idea if this is going to help or hurt, but watching the UA All American game, have yet to hear a word about Nebraska. Not on the radar of single player so far, that is what he is talking about. We have to recruit these players, if we don't we will remain an also ran in the B1G and never compete for another MNC.

Talent makes coaches better. We need a lot of improvement on both.

Seems to ring a bell for me. Honesty is the best policy. State facts, make efforts to make corrections and see where you are at.

These players are Bo's kids, he recruited them or kept them around for four years. If they are not what is needed and do not have the ability to develop into what is needed, that is on Bo.

I like having the truth on the table. A coach that tells it like it is. Long range a positive it seems to me. If all things were revealed my guess is we are under talented at almost all positions, but the real problem is we have coaches that are learning their jobs trying to teach kids how to do theirs. This again goes back to the staff and its lack of preperation/training/on field time.

We read on here how we have the talent to play with the top programs, but we have a coach now telling it like it is. Some do not like that, but it really tells us where we are. Beginning of the year we were supposed to be one of the best defenses in the country. I never happened. We were led to believe it by the staff. For me tell it like it is, I can deal with it.

I have no idea if this is going to help or hurt, but watching the UA All American game, have yet to hear a word about Nebraska. Not on the radar of single player so far, that is what he is talking about. We have to recruit these players, if we don't we will remain an also ran in the B1G and never compete for another MNC.

What's really odd about this remark is that even after a season where players like Blatchford and Thorell routinely got smoked by obviously superior athletes, the enemies of honesty and sunshine pumpers still have a problem with the obvious. Corey Raymond's comments are 100% dead accurate. Look at the athletes Nebraska puts on the field. Look at the athletes they line up against. Is four losses really that surprising? Allegedly we have a lot better athletes who should have been on the field, though, so going out and recruiting talent when you don't play it anyway doesn't seem to solve the problem. I guess we'll find out next season without Lavonte and Fonzie.

What's really odd about this remark is that even after a season where players like Blatchford and Thorell routinely got smoked by obviously superior athletes, the enemies of honesty and sunshine pumpers still have a problem with the obvious. Corey Raymond's comments are 100% dead accurate. Look at the athletes Nebraska puts on the field. Look at the athletes they line up against. Is four losses really that surprising? Allegedly we have a lot better athletes who should have been on the field, though, so going out and recruiting talent when you don't play it anyway doesn't seem to solve the problem. I guess we'll find out next season without Lavonte and Fonzie.

if i was a current DB and heard this comment, i guess i would feel undeserving of my schollie and wasting Raymond's time as a superior DB coach.

if i was Bo, i would feel like one of my assistants just kicked me in the nuts for piss poor recruiting.

but who knows, maybe Bo just loves this type of stuff? this is after all his defense and he calls the scheme, right?

Here I thought the main message was that the secondary can't rest on its past laurels.

“You can’t live on what other guys have done in the past around here,” Raymond said. “You have to live on yourself…We’re not Prince. We’re not Eric Hagg. We’re not those guys. We have to do much different things. We have to work harder. We’re not the same athletes as those guys.”

Here I thought the main message was that the secondary can't rest on its past laurels.

“You can’t live on what other guys have done in the past around here,” Raymond said. “You have to live on yourself…We’re not Prince. We’re not Eric Hagg. We’re not those guys. We have to do much different things. We have to work harder. We’re not the same athletes as those guys.”

i think this was in the very beginning of his comments........anyway, topic has been beat to death. enough/..........

The most interesting interview after the game was with Corey Raymond. The secondary coach wasn’t convinced Nebraska had enough talent to beat South Carolina, especially in the secondary.

“Just be honest,” Raymond said. “Look at them, look at us. It’s pretty obvious.”

What did Raymond mean? He didn’t spell it out, but he made veiled criticisms of Nebraska’s personnel. For instance, what did he take from this game going into the offseason?

“Hopefully it helps recruiting. Get athletes.”

Was he encouraged by how NU matched up man-for-man? “Not necessarily.”

Raymond went on to compare the mentality of Southern players versus Nebraska’s players. His guys needed to learn how to punch back once they got “hit in the mouth.”

Is his future in Lincoln in question? It would be a huge blow to recruiting if true. SIAP

Some people seem to think so (though I don't know how easy it would be for him to get a job right away if he left). And I agree, I feel that Raymond has done a good job in his one year of building relationships with recruits, and like he's already said, he seems to know what kids to go after.

That si the mystery to me. If the defensive scheme is so complex it takes kids 3 yrs to "get it", but the result is "better athletes" riding the pine. Change the friggin system. It still baffles me that Osbourne was a Black Shirt and starter last year and is gone from the lineup. Look at PJ Smith, Cooper, SJB moved to CB, BUT still certain kids start over guys I would think have more ability. To the sunshine crowd, no I am not at practice, but it is odd kids who played before are riding the pine or kids wjo were recruited by other schools and offered schollies are sitting while walk-ons are playing.

Watched the HS game today and as mentioned earlier, the Huskers were not even mentioned that I saw.

Kids today are not stupid. They read the message boards, follow the social networks and are much more informed than you can imagine. You don't think they see the black hole that is often NU and the playing time/position carousel ie Mendoza, Ghillyen (sp?) SJB, Osbourne etc....? Hard to tell a kid they are /needed/can impact immediately and the actual view doesn't prove that.

If you watched the bowl season and really think our D line is on par with the majority of teams in the top 20 please post and let me know. We are S L O W. Our scheme no longer works without SUH. Has Bo even tried to change it? Nope. Still a yard+ off the ball, running the two gap D with S L O W lineman.

Raymond said the truth. Right message, wrong venue. If I was a DB, I wouldn't be thinking about giving my schollie back, I would be pi$$ed and come out in the off season like my a$$ was on fir and my hair was catching. You think his words hurt the team, imagine being Osbourne and watch guys getting beat like a drum or Smith or Cooper etc...... That crap hurts the team more than anything. Watching guys get "passes" on crappy game performance and you ride the pine because you are not as "knowledgable" in the system or miss a tackle and get pulled while Einstein continues to play. That would also pi$$ me off.

Is his future in Lincoln in question? It would be a huge blow to recruiting if true. SIAP

Some people seem to think so (though I don't know how easy it would be for him to get a job right away if he left). And I agree, I feel that Raymond has done a good job in his one year of building relationships with recruits, and like he's already said, he seems to know what kids to go after.

He has done a good job piquing the intrest of top talent and I hope whatever isses he has get worked out. I look for a better year 2 in both coaching and recruiting from him with a year under his belt. I tend to side with those that don't mind what he said.

That si the mystery to me. If the defensive scheme is so complex it takes kids 3 yrs to "get it", but the result is "better athletes" riding the pine. Change the friggin system. It still baffles me that Osbourne was a Black Shirt and starter last year and is gone from the lineup. Look at PJ Smith, Cooper, SJB moved to CB, BUT still certain kids start over guys I would think have more ability. To the sunshine crowd, no I am not at practice, but it is odd kids who played before are riding the pine or kids wjo were recruited by other schools and offered schollies are sitting while walk-ons are playing.

Watched the HS game today and as mentioned earlier, the Huskers were not even mentioned that I saw.

Kids today are not stupid. They read the message boards, follow the social networks and are much more informed than you can imagine. You don't think they see the black hole that is often NU and the playing time/position carousel ie Mendoza, Ghillyen (sp?) SJB, Osbourne etc....? Hard to tell a kid they are /needed/can impact immediately and the actual view doesn't prove that.

If you watched the bowl season and really think our D line is on par with the majority of teams in the top 20 please post and let me know. We are S L O W. Our scheme no longer works without SUH. Has Bo even tried to change it? Nope. Still a yard+ off the ball, running the two gap D with S L O W lineman.

Raymond said the truth. Right message, wrong venue. If I was a DB, I wouldn't be thinking about giving my schollie back, I would be pi$$ed and come out in the off season like my a$$ was on fir and my hair was catching. You think his words hurt the team, imagine being Osbourne and watch guys getting beat like a drum or Smith or Cooper etc...... That crap hurts the team more than anything. Watching guys get "passes" on crappy game performance and you ride the pine because you are not as "knowledgable" in the system or miss a tackle and get pulled while Einstein continues to play. That would also pi$$ me off.

absolutely agree, something is very wrong here........it appears moral is sh#t for now.

I agree completely. Bo said the Secondary was to be the strength of our defense this year because of depth. Yet we had to grab a player from the other side of the ball because our proposed depth was just great on paperbut not on the field.

The D Line was supposed to be a strength due to depth, not the secondary. I don't think anyone cited the secondary as a strong point. In fact, the secondary was widely regarded as the weak link on the whole team.

The positive thing is that as the season wore on we saw marked improvement by Andrew Green, and some by Ciante. Those guys are going to be crucial going forward, so that was somewhat positive. If Kaz gets the D Line to be more disruptive, that can only help the secondary next year.

I agree. There were dozens of conversations where we were thankful the DL was in such great shape, because it was going to take some stress of the secondary. Instead, the DL (or the scheme) was a mess...and instead of 3 seconds of coverage they were frequently (likely more than 50% of the time) asked to defend the backfield for 6-7-8 seconds on passing downs. How many times did Shaw dance around for that long in the bowl game. Honestly it goes to show you that maybe our backfield wasn't that bad...because a number of times Shaw had nothing. I'd bet 3 out of 4 sacks this year were coverage sacks. And to top it off they're always in man coverage - so a scrambling QB that can get around our ends (which doesn't take much) has 20 yards to run downfield before anyone in the secondary realizes he's even running.

The positive thing is that we promoted the position coach for that dominant DL. He's vast experience will be crucial going forward. :sarcasm:

You're right about opposing QBs have way too much time. Bo's "defensive genius" has taken a severe hit in my eyes this year. That "containment" crap has got to be 86'd. I hate that.

I'm not all that upset about Papuchis being promoted, though. Look at Bohl. He sucked as a DC, but he's doing all right as a head coach. He's 71-31 and has a 5-1 post-season record. Some guys just need to find their niche. Maybe I'm just pumping more sunshine, but I'm not horrified that Pap is the DC. I expect results, though.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Agree 100%