I wish Callahan was still our HC

This thread makes my head hurt..................I really can't believe someone would want Callahan back after what he did to our program. Take what he did on the field away, wipe it completely away from the discussion. What he did to our program is ridiculous by not allowing former players to stay connected with the program and completely erasing the past from our stadium. He further alienated the fanbase from the program. f#*k Bill Callahan................

What do you think about former players wanting NU to lose games when BC was HC? I think it's safe to say most NU fans wouldn't like it. If you were the HC would you let these type of former players around the program?

If I was the AD, I would not want that type of coach around the program!

:facepalm:

So those players get a pass for those actions? This is the reason why I want to puke when NU fans try to sell themselves as the best fans in the country. We are no different than any other school other than that stupid tradition of clapping for other teams as they leave the field.

Talk about ramblings and rantings that idiot Clownahan is off screwing up the jets offensive line now. If we are lucky he won't ever fly over the state of Nebraska.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Really..he's doing a bad job w/ the Jets OL? What do you base this on? Their success or lack of in the running game? The number of Pro Bowlers on their OL since he arrived? Your gut?

Oh that's right they made the playoffs and Sanchez has a great QB rating because they protect him so well and LT will play a couple more years because they open up such great holes for him to nrun thru... Oh wait all that is a wet dream you are having. Tell us really, have you ever watched a Husker game or are you just a schill for Clownahan?

T_O_B

G>B>R

So your gut. Gotcha. ;)

I mean, it's not like he's been awarded Assistant Coach of the Year since he's been there or anything. :)

It's amazing how so many get so emotional in a thread like this. It's as if some think ridicule and ranting strengthens one's argument/points. You guys discuss/debate like radical political or religious nuts. It's all black and white...I'm 100% right, you're 100% wrong...win/lose...kick'm in the nuts and never admit you could be wrong or the other "side" makes a good point or you learned something new. :thumbs

...and you made a good point when?

T_O_B

G>B>R

This thread makes my head hurt..................I really can't believe someone would want Callahan back after what he did to our program. Take what he did on the field away, wipe it completely away from the discussion. What he did to our program is ridiculous by not allowing former players to stay connected with the program and completely erasing the past from our stadium. He further alienated the fanbase from the program. f#*k Bill Callahan................

What do you think about former players wanting NU to lose games when BC was HC? I think it's safe to say most NU fans wouldn't like it. If you were the HC would you let these type of former players around the program?

If I was the AD, I would not want that type of coach around the program!

:facepalm:

So those players get a pass for those actions? This is the reason why I want to puke when NU fans try to sell themselves as the best fans in the country. We are no different than any other school other than that stupid tradition of clapping for other teams as they leave the field.

BUT....BUT...it says so on the stadium so it must be true!!

Seriously though...I think the internets attract the worst fans of any team/program. At least that's what I hope is the case...

What does Sanchize being Sanchize and Ladanian Tomlinson being 32 and at the end of an illustrious career have anything to do with OL coach? He is one of the more highly respected OL coaches in the NFL.

I wonder why Callahan would want to part with his friend before the '07 season. Optimism was really high, and we were coming off a successful 2006 campaign. If it was during, again, it would just seem too little to exonerate him. He had other issues that year. The level of collapse ultimately goes back on his head.

Former players wanting NU to lose? Was this simply as a result of Frank's firing? That's childish of them, but I can understand it. Not unforgiveable. I was pissed (and pretty young then) after Frank's firing.

"Callahan's tenure as Nebraska's head coach was primarily defined by an emphasis on recruiting (something many Nebraska fans felt was lacking during the previous coach's tenure [5]). For example, with the assistance of his recruiting coordinator John Blake, Nebraska recruited DT Ndamukong Suh (2009 AP Player of the Year, Nagurski Trophy winner, Heisman Trophy finalist, etc.) although Suh later stated that he would "probably be at Oregon State right now" had Callahan not been fired [6]. Callahan's 2005 recruiting class was rated as top-five by Rivals [7] and ESPN analyst Tom Lemming said they were "No. 1, without a doubt." [8].

Despite a 27-22 record, Callahan's tenure is generally considered a failure. He led the Cornhuskers to two losing seasons in four years. He also finished ranked in a major poll only once in four years after the Huskers had only finished unranked once since 1962. He was 1-10 against teams ranked in the Top 25, 27-2 in games in which he led at halftime, 0-17 in games in which he trailed at halftime, 25-21 against Division I opponents, 15-18 against the Big 12, and coached the program to two of its four non-winning seasons in 46 years. Sports Illustrated recently named Callahan as the worst coaching hire of the decade in college football. Exacerbating Cornhusker fans' consternation with Bill Callahan's tenure at the University was his insistence that he had "done an excellent job in every area."[9]"

Sorry Zoogs but a QB obviously needs time to throw and a RB needs holes to run through.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Sanchez is hardly that good of a QB; LT is 32. The line has done good work; his players rave about him, he's been mentioned numerous times as a respected lines coach in the NFL. I can't find the SI articles now, but Peter King's column mentions him by name many times and specifically as someone whose line work was used as film by another coach as an example for other OLs in the league.

As far as I know those former players didn't want him to lose games until it was obvious he needed to go. Furthermore I don't know how well it's documented that former players "wanted" us to lose those games. Is it fact or is it assumption? I'm guessing the latter of the two. It was obvious he needed to go, it's not like former players said from day one, "I hope he loses all of his games!" If you say that's true.................I can't help you, you'll need professional help for that delusional virus.

That's right, I said it.

I know it's an old argument, but word from an insider is he wasn't allowed to bring on a new/different DC. Had he been able to I would bet my house on our program being in better shape now.

After 2 seasons in a row now I don't have much optimism about the next season. That never happened w/ BC. What is there to be excited about for next year...or even for the next few years? Who is the QB coming up that will give us hope. I mean...TMart can still improve, but it's hard to get excited about that...and I've been one of his supporters since day 1. BC had his faults, but he was making progress and he brought excellent talent to the program and was improving on his recruiting as years went by. His last full class was really good and the one he had in the works was excellent. If he just could/would have had a chance to revamp the D side and bring in a good DC. I blame his premature/short sighted firing on the many or at least vocal spoiled fans/players/boosters who IMO were close minded and a little too full of themselves. Now it will be virtually impossible to bring any any new HC that is in high demand. It'll have to be a homer or younger guy which will be an attempt at finding/praying for a diamond in the rough/up-n-comer. Us being so rigid and stubborn on our HC conforming to our "Nebraska way"(whatever that is...) and our tightness w/ paying coaches will see to this.

That all said, I guess it's easy to be excited about our young receivers...and hoping TMart works hard this off season and makes some big strides. He was just a sophomore this year afterall...

I agree with you that he brought in some really good recruits but it didn't seem like he did anything with them. After his last season here did you really still want him to stay? I didn't. Wasn't there also a complaint that he simply didn't understand our culture? My opinion was that Bill just wasn't a good college coach. It wasn't the first time that an NFL coach made the jump to college and it didn't work out. He sounds like a good offensive line coach or whatever he does for the Jets. I also don't think it was just that he wasn't willing to change DC that ended his career here. There were many things.

I think, if you were interested, that you could go back in the archives of this board and read the reasons why the university fired him and Steve Pederson. I respectfully disagree: I do not wish that Bill was still our coach. Sorry.

That's right, I said it.

I know it's an old argument, but word from an insider is he wasn't allowed to bring on a new/different DC. Had he been able to I would bet my house on our program being in better shape now.

After 2 seasons in a row now I don't have much optimism about the next season. That never happened w/ BC. What is there to be excited about for next year...or even for the next few years? Who is the QB coming up that will give us hope. I mean...TMart can still improve, but it's hard to get excited about that...and I've been one of his supporters since day 1. BC had his faults, but he was making progress and he brought excellent talent to the program and was improving on his recruiting as years went by. His last full class was really good and the one he had in the works was excellent. If he just could/would have had a chance to revamp the D side and bring in a good DC. I blame his premature/short sighted firing on the many or at least vocal spoiled fans/players/boosters who IMO were close minded and a little too full of themselves. Now it will be virtually impossible to bring any any new HC that is in high demand. It'll have to be a homer or younger guy which will be an attempt at finding/praying for a diamond in the rough/up-n-comer. Us being so rigid and stubborn on our HC conforming to our "Nebraska way"(whatever that is...) and our tightness w/ paying coaches will see to this.

That all said, I guess it's easy to be excited about our young receivers...and hoping TMart works hard this off season and makes some big strides. He was just a sophomore this year afterall...

I agree with you that he brought in some really good recruits but it didn't seem like he did anything with them. After his last season here did you really still want him to stay? I didn't. Wasn't there also a complaint that he simply didn't understand our culture? My opinion was that Bill just wasn't a good college coach. It wasn't the first time that an NFL coach made the jump to college and it didn't work out. He sounds like a good offensive line coach or whatever he does for the Jets. I also don't think it was just that he wasn't willing to change DC that ended his career here. There were many things.

I think, if you were interested, that you could go back in the archives of this board and read the reasons why the university fired him and Steve Pederson. I respectfully disagree: I do not wish that Bill was still our coach. Sorry.

It's a re-hash, but there was definitely a mismatch in understanding Nebraska history, culture, walk-ons, colege vs pros, etc. (We are seeing a little of that cultural disconnect coming from PSU right now.........and they haven't even played a down). Plus, the verdict is still out (jmo) on whether or not he is a Head Coach type. Might be another case of the Peter Principal at play. Take an outstanding offensive line guy and promote him into an inefficient CEO.

Having said all that ....................IF the rumors about Barney hanging it up are true................I'd LOVE for BC to be our O-line coach ! Of course, it will never happen, but I'd dream it would be a great fit (if not for his prior experience here).

There, that last sentence should convince doubters that we all don't HATE BC. It just wasn't a position and/or cultural match for him here.

He was duck in the middle of the desert. He never understood what Nebraska was, what was expected. Was far to loyal to Coz and that is what cost him his job. I have never heard he wanted to fire Coz, the last I heard he stood behind his DC and would no matter what.

I can believe Nebraska would not want to spend anymore money on the experiment. Step in Big Booster, pay for Peterson to leave, hire Pelini, hire Osborne back and get rid of Clownahan was all done in September or earlier. The booster wanted Peterson and Clownahan gone, wanted Pelini from 2003 and made it happen by financing the whole thing. A lot of it was being a reported by a person many had little faith in, but what was going on was true.

That booster was still behind Bo a couple of months ago. I am not sure where it is at now.

I think we have a lame duck AD that has no power over the situation due to money and those that spend it. He is a figure head that gives us credibility, as he loves Nebraska and would do anything for the State and the University. This comes from people I know and have known for many years. As most know my family has been involved with the University for many many years. I have actually tried to talk with Tom on this and it is not possible to discuss.

Take it for what it is worth.

• Fire 1

"Callahan's tenure as Nebraska's head coach was primarily defined by an emphasis on recruiting (something many Nebraska fans felt was lacking during the previous coach's tenure [5]). For example, with the assistance of his recruiting coordinator John Blake, Nebraska recruited DT Ndamukong Suh (2009 AP Player of the Year, Nagurski Trophy winner, Heisman Trophy finalist, etc.) although Suh later stated that he would "probably be at Oregon State right now" had Callahan not been fired [6]. Callahan's 2005 recruiting class was rated as top-five by Rivals [7] and ESPN analyst Tom Lemming said they were "No. 1, without a doubt." [8].

Despite a 27-22 record, Callahan's tenure is generally considered a failure. He led the Cornhuskers to two losing seasons in four years. He also finished ranked in a major poll only once in four years after the Huskers had only finished unranked once since 1962. He was 1-10 against teams ranked in the Top 25, 27-2 in games in which he led at halftime, 0-17 in games in which he trailed at halftime, 25-21 against Division I opponents, 15-18 against the Big 12, and coached the program to two of its four non-winning seasons in 46 years. Sports Illustrated recently named Callahan as the worst coaching hire of the decade in college football. Exacerbating Cornhusker fans' consternation with Bill Callahan's tenure at the University was his insistence that he had "done an excellent job in every area."[9]"

Sorry Zoogs but a QB obviously needs time to throw and a RB needs holes to run through.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Well, there you go. If its on Wikipedia, it must be true.

• Fire 1