NU moving to a 3-4 defense?

C N Red

And then there's the NFL factor, as more teams (Dallas this year) are moving to the 3-4. Would sit better with recruits that we're running a system that the NFL seems to be (slowly) transitioning to en masse...

Dallas has been running a 3-4 for nearly a decade. This might be the first year it isn't a complete joke, I think that might be why it's noteworthy.

:yeah

To hear the talking heads in DFW tell it (1310 Ticket), Dallas was using a bastardized version of the 4-3 as their base defense in years past because they didn't have the personnel to run a 'true' or 'pure' 3-4 effectively. It may have been called a 3-4, but they were supposedly putting LBs on the line to pass rush so often (because the DL were so poor), they as well been granted honorary DL status.

Granted, I'm not much of a Dallas or NFL fan (like Green Bay, only watch NFL to watch how Nebraska kids do...though I whiffed on one of our former players in a past thread), so you likely know more their defensive history.

In 34 defenses OLBs are generally the pass rushers. I think those talking heads just didn't really know what they were talking about.

So, are we going to see Ankrah, Peat, Merideth as D linemen and Santos, Anderson, Compton and Whaley as LBs?

I like that line up.

This is making me excited to see this week's game.

Whaley makes you excited? Whaley makes it hard for me to fall asleep at night without the light on.

Well...yaaa....I agree. I'm hoping that having more LB's on the field will allow him to have to cover less and improve his play.

Who else would you put in there?

Is the D line about what you expect to see?

Did I also read somewhere that in a 3-4 we would be going away from the 2 gap system?

And, when I say I'm excited, I mean I'm excited to see what this new D looks like.

So, are we going to see Ankrah, Peat, Merideth as D linemen and Santos, Anderson, Compton and Whaley as LBs?

I like that line up.

This is making me excited to see this week's game.

I'm guessing we will see Stein on the inside to begin with but they could move him outside and use a line of Cam - Peat - Stein. I'm actually kind of excited about some of the things they can do with a 3-4. Its just going to be disorganized at first. I think we will see a lot of Eric martin as a standup OLB as well. I think that could be effective. I will be most interested to see what they do with their nickel package. Will they move to like a 3-2-6 with maybe compton and anderson/santos as Lb's and bring in Evans and maybe C. Cooper or H. Jackson as an extra DB?

After thinking about it, and hearing certain rumblings, I do think the 3-4 is something Bo wanted to do this year, but I think he wanted to save it for the Meechicken game. However, with how bad our D has looked in first two games I think he just decided to start it now and try to improve in it in game situations before conference play.

And then there's the NFL factor, as more teams (Dallas this year) are moving to the 3-4. Would sit better with recruits that we're running a system that the NFL seems to be (slowly) transitioning to en masse...

Dallas has been running a 3-4 for nearly a decade. This might be the first year it isn't a complete joke, I think that might be why it's noteworthy.

:yeah

To hear the talking heads in DFW tell it (1310 Ticket), Dallas was using a bastardized version of the 4-3 as their base defense in years past because they didn't have the personnel to run a 'true' or 'pure' 3-4 effectively. It may have been called a 3-4, but they were supposedly putting LBs on the line to pass rush so often (because the DL were so poor), they as well been granted honorary DL status.

Granted, I'm not much of a Dallas or NFL fan (like Green Bay, only watch NFL to watch how Nebraska kids do...though I whiffed on one of our former players in a past thread), so you likely know more their defensive history.

In 34 defenses OLBs are generally the pass rushers. I think those talking heads just didn't really know what they were talking about.

Right. I'm aware of that. Typically, though, you mix up or mask who you send for pass rush to keep the O-Line guessing and to try and get favorable matches.

I guess maybe the point they were getting at is that Cowboys only had one competent LB that could pass rush effectively, so when you send the same guy over and over again, you may as well be playing a 4-3?

After thinking about it, and hearing certain rumblings, I do think the 3-4 is something Bo wanted to do this year, but I think he wanted to save it for the Meechicken game. However, with how bad our D has looked in first two games I think he just decided to start it now and try to improve in it in game situations before conference play.

i hate this whole "lets not put it on film" BS that they seem to do each year. that just translates to "not game tested". we don't have a preseason - these 4 games are how you get ready for michigan. this is when we should have been working on it...and by the time michigan roles around we'd be ready to say "we're playing 3-4, try to f'n run at us because you'll find your a$$ on the turf in the backfield" instead we say "we've got a new defensive scheme they won't see coming, lets hope the guys can execute it"

...which leads to... "we just didn't execute"

Honestly, it doesn't matter if we are running a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2 or any other defense out there. The fact of the matter is that we have some serious issues making tackles. The 4-3 would have been just fine against UCLA if we simply make tackles that we are supposed to make. So while moving to a 3-4 may sound like a good idea, it doesn't solve the real problem with the defense.