NUance

Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

Finished up the 3 seasons of 'Frontier' last night (Season 4 will be the last i guess). It didn't have very good reviews, but I gave it shot anyways since I've always been interested in the frontier/push westward. I thought it was really good. Multiple story lines, a good balance of bloodshed and love, and from what I gathered, loosely based on real events. Highly recommend it if your interested in early America (or if you're a lady, Jason Momoa). :D

YOU...it is really freaking good.

I love how shows/movies are getting smart about how to use cell phones and technology.  When cell phones first became a thing they ruined horror movies and the only answers were the old "I don't have service" or "I lost my phone"

But now writers are getting creative and using cells/apps/social media to their advantage.  

Streaming giant increases subscription prices

The increases are effective immediately for new subscribers, and will be phased in over three months for current customers. A single subscription will cost $9, up from $8; the HD streaming on up to two Internet-connected devices at the same time plan will cost $13, up from $11; the four-subscriber plan will cost $16, up from $14.

As Deadline reports, the price hike is the fourth for the streaming company. The most recent hike was in 2017.

The price jump comes as Netflix continues to lure away talent from the TV cable networks, and ramps up production on series and movies. Competition is likely to increase as more companies get into the streaming act. Set to join Netflix, Hulu and Amazon in the near future are new streaming services from Apple, Disney, WarnerMedia and NBCUniversal.

No surprise there, Netflix has been taking on totally unsustainable debt to fund their in-house show development.

On 1/15/2019 at 9:08 AM, teachercd said:

I love how shows/movies are getting smart about how to use cell phones and technology.  When cell phones first became a thing they ruined horror movies and the only answers were the old "I don't have service" or "I lost my phone"

But now writers are getting creative and using cells/apps/social media to their advantage.  

I tried to watch this, watched about half of the first episode and couldn't stand the main guy's voice as he was narrating the story.  His voice just grates me for some reason.  Which is disappointing because the premise seems like this would be a fun show to watch.

Started watching Fyre Festival.

Pretty interesting. I had to parent and stop halfway through but planning on finishing it tonight. Probably will watch the Hulu version as well. 

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, sho said:

I tried to watch this, watched about half of the first episode and couldn't stand the main guy's voice as he was narrating the story.  His voice just grates me for some reason.  Which is disappointing because the premise seems like this would be a fun show to watch.

Ha...that sucks!

We watched YOU over the weekend. We both liked it! Season 2 sometime this year!

On 1/15/2019 at 9:08 AM, teachercd said:

I tried watching it with my wife and could only stand about 15 minutes of it, but she seems to really like it.

19 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Started watching Fyre Festival.

A buddy of mine recommended this to me and gave me sort of a brief overview. It sounds fascinating, bordering on unbelievable. I'm excited to see it.

I started watching a new show I didn't think I would like, and I don't really enjoy it necessarily, but it's sort of intriguing nonetheless. I watched one episode of Tidying Up and the host is... oddly riveting. She's so positive and happy, and the way she approaches organization and cleanliness in a house is unique... almost spiritual.

But, also, she has a badass way of organizing clothes in a drawer that I may or may not have spent an hour doing after the show....

75% of the way through Punisher Season 2.  Can confirm still awesome.  Disclaimer, the show is graphically violent and not for the squeamish.  They essentially found a female version of Micro which is hilarious as much like Micro, initially is extremely grating and unlikable.  Straightforward action show, not too much deep thinking.  If you like the Punisher and vigilante justice you'll like it, if that stuff isn't your cup of tea you should pass.

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

75% of the way through Punisher Season 2.  Can confirm still awesome.  Disclaimer, the show is graphically violent and not for the squeamish.  They essentially found a female version of Micro which is hilarious as much like Micro, initially is extremely grating and unlikable.  Straightforward action show, not too much deep thinking.  If you like the Punisher and vigilante justice you'll like it, if that stuff isn't your cup of tea you should pass.

Man, I watched most of season 1 but then I sort of just forgot about it.

In not available for a long time news, The Wheel of Time is starting production in the fall. I have chills throughout my body.

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

In not available for a long time news, The Wheel of Time is starting production in the fall. I have chills throughout my body.

Last I heard, it's going to be on Prime. Is that still correct? I also haven't seen a casting list yet. One hadn't been released the last time I checked.

I'm about wrapped up with the 1st book. I'd be interested to see how they're going structure it all (i.e. book per season like GoT).

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Never heard of the books, so I went to read up on what the series would be about AND HOLY s#!t YOU'RE IN IT????!!!!

22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Last I heard, it's going to be on Prime. Is that still correct? I also haven't seen a casting list yet. One hadn't been released the last time I checked.

I'm about wrapped up with the 1st book. I'd be interested to see how they're going structure it all (i.e. book per season like GoT).

Yes it’s gonna be on Prime. No casting news yet. 

I think they could do one season per book for the first 3 books, then it gets a little more complicated. But there’s a lot of stuff they could leave out, like secondary character stuff.

12 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Never heard of the books, so I went to read up on what the series would be about AND HOLY s#!t YOU'RE IN IT????!!!!

Yes, I’m famous. The TV show description isn’t great. So you should read the books.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Yes, I’m famous. The TV show description isn’t great. So you should read the books.

The last three books I've read have been a Ben Franklin biography, J.D. Vance's "Hillbilly Elegy", and a David Crockett biography, so I say this with no intent to offend you....But, the story line sounds terrible. Is it Harry Potter-ish (Never read those either, but seen one of the movies).

12 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The last three books I've read have been a Ben Franklin biography, J.D. Vance's "Hillbilly Elegy", and a David Crockett biography, so I say this with no intent to offend you....But, the story line sounds terrible. Is it Harry Potter-ish (Never read those either, but seen one of the movies).

No. It’s... sort of similar to A Song of Ice and Fire (GoT). At least, the 2 series had a lot of overlap in fans before the TV show came out. I liked WoT a lot more than aSoIaF but GoT is a great TV show. Better than the books imo.

Like I said, the TV show description isn’t great if that’s what you read. The first book is mostly centered on 3 teenage boys. And men are able to use magic, it’s just illegal because it eventually makes them go insane and kill people if they use it. So saying they “can’t” use it isn’t perfect wording.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

No. It’s... sort of similar to A Song of Ice and Fire (GoT). At least, the 2 series had a lot of overlap in fans before the TV show came out.

Like I said, the TV show description isn’t great if that’s what you read. The first book is mostly centered on 3 teenage boys. And men are able to use magic, it’s just illegal because it eventually makes them go insane and kill people if they use it. So saying they “can’t” use it isn’t perfect wording.

Gotcha. 

I may have to look into reading one (Especially since you're in it!)

@B.B. Hemingway I started the reading the first book a couple of weeks ago and I've been totally enveloped, and it was due in large part to (Huskerboard) Moiraine's suggestion.

It's definitely got roots in Tolkien (great world building, developed characters) but it's less campy and I think it does a bit of a better job keeping the reader's attention. I respect the hell out of Tolkien, and I love The Hobbit, but LotR was always a tough read for me. And, for the record, I don't like ASoIaF much, but have found a lot of enjoyment with WoT.

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

HBO GO

True Detective S1 (all-timer)

True Detective S2 (terrible)

True Detective S3 (very good)

That story line in season 1 was incredible. Not sure why they didn't choose to take that out over 5 seasons.

Thanks for the reminder on True Detective.  WIll definitely revisit that.

Last night I watched “Abducted in Plain Sight”.  It had me repeatedly screaming at the tv because these people were such ...how do I put this nicely... MORONS.  Their daughter was abducted TWICE, by the same guy, and each thing they did leading up to the abductions was just so mind blowingly stupid.  I’m still screaming.

On 1/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, Scarlet Overkill said:

Thanks for the reminder on True Detective.  WIll definitely revisit that.

Last night I watched “Abducted in Plain Sight”.  It had me repeatedly screaming at the tv because these people were such ...how do I put this nicely... MORONS.  Their daughter was abducted TWICE, by the same guy, and each thing they did leading up to the abductions was just so mind blowingly stupid.  I’m still screaming.

I watched it last night.  It took us nearly 3 hours to watch it. We kept pausing it going WTF??   They really aren't this stupid, are they?  And 5 minutes later they would prove they could be even more stupid than I thought.    I then had to Google it was a real thing and not some sort of acting, CPS should have taken the other 2 girls away as well.

1 hour ago, sho said:

I watched it last night.  It took us nearly 3 hours to watch it. We kept pausing it going WTF??   They really aren't this stupid, are they?  And 5 minutes later they would prove they could be even more stupid than I thought.    I then had to Google it was a real thing and not some sort of acting, CPS should have taken the other 2 girls away as well.

Plus what kind of justice system overlooks his antics?  Everyone in Pocatello, ID must have been clueless.

I watched the Fyre Festival documentary.  It was strange to feel bad for people stuck on the island with no way to get back for a while but at the same time laughing because they were so stupid to pay thousands of dollars to take this trip all because a dozen models talked about it on Instagram.

anyone watch Russian Doll yet?   Watched the trailer last night on Netflix.  Looks interesting, only one season.   I'll have to watch some this weekend.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:55 PM, sho said:

anyone watch Russian Doll yet?   Watched the trailer last night on Netflix.  Looks interesting, only one season.   I'll have to watch some this weekend.

I watched the first episode the other night.  Not sure how they can stretch the concept out into a whole series but i’ll stick with it and see where it goes.

I just finished the first season of Patriot on Amazon Prime. It centers around an intelligence officer who works in private industry. It's full of dark, offbeat humor and suspense- I highly recommend it.