Who should the next Nebrasketball coach be?

GWH

Phil Jackson

We can't afford that man.

I don't think Doc will be fired after this season. I think if he is, its unfair. I know basketball is basketball and the game doesn't change. But the competition does. Media (Sipple) needs to realize we are in a much more competitive conference Men's basketball wise than the Big 12. Don't get me wrong, Big 12 is talented, but not as much as the Big Ten. First year in the new conference too? We have never been outstanding with Men's basketball, why should we expect a better team in a better conference in the first year?

Now i think if Doc can't get the team to improve next season, then he needs to be booted. But for now, we just have to dredge through the mud and work our way up on the shoulder's of Doc Sadler, but if he can't get us to a level of competition in the Big Ten? It's time to find someone who can.

He's already had his time. He needs to go now.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Personally, I don't know what to think about an Altman hire. Yes, he was pretty good at Creighton, but he has so little time at a major program to really know how he'd do. His stay at K-State in the early 90's was fairly successful, but nothing outstanding. Certainly his short stay at Oregon hasn't been eye-popping, but he did inherit a pretty poor team. I think I'd rather take a chance on a young guy, but I suppose I could behind Altman fairly easily if he were named the HC.

Florida Asst. John Pelphrey (Kentucky '92).

T_O_B

No, Nebraska does not want Pelphrey. Florida makes his Bio sound pretty good, but there's a reason they only talk about his first season at Arkansas. His next 3 seasons records (before being axed): 14-16, 15-16, 18-13 and he had some horrible losses in all those seasons.

I've always said Nebraska could not get a Duke assistant to come here, and I think for the most part I still believe it, but since no one has mentioned his name I will. It would be pretty sweet if Dr. Tom could convince Wojo to come to NU for 6-7 years while he waits for Coach K to retire. A lot of people think he'll have to go coach somewhere else for awhile to have HC experience so Duke will hire him when Coach K steps down. I don't think there's anyway it'd happen, but who knows if Tom opens up the wallet a little wider and puts together a hell of sales pitch, and maybe whips up some special brownies to cloud Wojo's thinking...

Wojo

Greg Paulus is at Ohio State right now. If we're going to gamble then bet the farm. I jest. I wouldn't mind seeing him as an assistant here though.

If Nebraska can't get a splash hire - which they probably can't - I think it'd be great to get guys like Paulus on staff. Maybe you don't hit a home-run with the HC, but assuming he's a decent coach, you can put 2 or 3 young guys on staff that recruits know from watching not too long ago and will connect with right away. I really think part of Doc's problem is his assistants. Look at them sometime. A bunch of old guys with no recognition.

EDIT: Osborne said he talked with Strickland about his desire to help Husker hoops. I'd be fine with him and Paulus on the bench...

Has something been said that paulus would be next in line over Collins at duke? Collins has been there along time. And I never hear his name up for second level jobs. Maybe we could pull the trigger on chris Collins for the people who want someone with duke ties. More importantly coach K ties. Also his dad is a very well respected NBA coach. So he has alot of resources at his disposal.

Initially, whoever we get as a coach has to be able to recruit well enough to win 9 or 10 games in the Big 10. PSU (2times), Iowa (2 times), Minn (2 times), NW (2 times), a split with Purdue, would be 9 wins plus 2 wins in the 8 games with Wisky, OSU, MSU and Mich to get a couple quality wins along with a couple big non conference games would get us to about 19-9 or 20-8 which should be good enough to get in the NCAA's. Do that a couple of years, build some excitement, increase the recruiting quality and start competing with OSU and MSU. I know it's easier said than done, but it's been done at lesser places than Lincoln. (Gonzaga ,Texas A & M and Baylor come to mind).

Is there something magical at Creighton that Altman couldn't recruit the same quality or better teams to NU than he had there? Their kids always played hard and they occasionally went 2 or 3 rounds in the NCAA's. Granted the competition week in and week out would be harder in the Big 10. I look at Notre Dame and the decent season they are having. They have a few good players but no real stars that will play in the NBA. If we could play well enough that the crowds would enjoy coming out and bring the energy, game day in Lincoln might be fun.

Initially, whoever we get as a coach has to be able to recruit well enough to win 9 or 10 games in the Big 10. PSU (2times), Iowa (2 times), Minn (2 times), NW (2 times), a split with Purdue, would be 9 wins plus 2 wins in the 8 games with Wisky, OSU, MSU and Mich to get a couple quality wins along with a couple big non conference games would get us to about 19-9 or 20-8 which should be good enough to get in the NCAA's. Do that a couple of years, build some excitement, increase the recruiting quality and start competing with OSU and MSU. I know it's easier said than done, but it's been done at lesser places than Lincoln. (Gonzaga ,Texas A & M and Baylor come to mind).

Is there something magical at Creighton that Altman couldn't recruit the same quality or better teams to NU than he had there? Their kids always played hard and they occasionally went 2 or 3 rounds in the NCAA's. Granted the competition week in and week out would be harder in the Big 10. I look at Notre Dame and the decent season they are having. They have a few good players but no real stars that will play in the NBA. If we could play well enough that the crowds would enjoy coming out and bring the energy, game day in Lincoln might be fun.

No, but the teams he had would have never done real well in a major conference. The better question is could he recruit to Nebraska like he recruits to Oregon; he signed a 4 star last year and has one committed, possibly signed, for this year.

Per the local paper today...................T.O. refused to comment Monday on the status of the basketball program and/or coach Sadler...........

I'm probably parsing this too closely looking for clues...................but to me that sounds better than the obligatory..............."Doc is our coach and will be for the foreseeable future" type of boilerplate..........

Isn't that kind of the same thing that happened with Mike Anderson?

I was absolutely giddy when I saw Tom wouldn't give a comment. 1620 had someone on, may have Robin Washburn but can't remember, who believed Tom has given Doc a number much like he did with billy c. Reach x amount of wins and you can stay, fail and I'll have to let you go. Either way, a no comment from Tom pretty much means Doc has to start fighting for his job.

I was told yesterday that its thought that he needed to go .500 for the remainder unless something extremely strange happens.

Personally, I don't know what to think about an Altman hire. Yes, he was pretty good at Creighton, but he has so little time at a major program to really know how he'd do. His stay at K-State in the early 90's was fairly successful, but nothing outstanding. Certainly his short stay at Oregon hasn't been eye-popping, but he did inherit a pretty poor team. I think I'd rather take a chance on a young guy, but I suppose I could behind Altman fairly easily if he were named the HC.

He was a bust at K-State. He was good in Omaha becuase he didn't have to play in a real confence. He's kind of a bust out in Oregon too. I wouldn't be happy if he was the hire.

I think you'll be surprised what names they go after and I think you'll be surprised what kind of money our dept will be willing to put up. I'm not saying coach K or petino types but they'll be more respectable than what many think. With new facilities and arena this job offers some niches that could be difficult to turn down.

B1G coach salaries per a March 31, 2011 article:

MSU - $3mil

OSU - 2.4

IND - 2.3

MIN - 1.8

MU - 1.6

ILL - 1.5

WU - 1.5

Purdue - 1.325

Iowa - 1.1

NWU - 1.1

PSU - 642,000

Edit: just saw this article is referencing an article from 2010, so these numbers will be a little off. I'll look for more current numbers later. Personally, I'd like to see NU paying around 1.5 - which means they better get someone pretty good.