Final Thoughts on the Class of 2012

This probably will be long, So here we go.

We knew heading into this recruiting cycle that this class was going to be pretty small. This class was going to be the last real affected one by the mess with numbers and voids that were left from the Callahan failure. Heading in there were some positions of absolute need that needed to be addressed. There are also those positions that coaches always try to target with every class. A thing to remember through a lot of this is last years(2011) arguably Bo's best filled a TON of needs.

Position of Needs for this class were QB(the loss of Bubba to KC made this a priority), TE, LB

Positions that became apparent help was needed throughout the season became DT and the secondary.

Of the positions of absolute need 2 of the 3 spots were covered very well. The TE position really could have used another signee. The thing with that position is that it is a spot that is slowly and slowly being phased out of so many offenses throughout High Schools across the nation. So the number of good prospects continues to dwindle making it a dogfight amongst all schools for these kids.

As for the posititions of need that became apparent throughout the year, DT was a homerun IMO as was the signing of Seisay. However, there are pretty big question marks regarding the rest of the guys heading to the defensive backfield.

To the Signees.

Guys that SHOULD/will probably REDSHIRT

LeRoy Alexander- Starting in the secondary and I honestly can see him sticking at CB. The thing with his film that continually sticks out is his speed. Being a VERY good all around athlete(see basketball 21ppg as a soph, 18ppg as a jr with 8 rpg both years) he potentially can become quality player in the future. Learn the system and bulk up to 200 next year.

Tommy Armstrong-I know he has said coaches have said this isn't happening but it needs to. Learning this system is key for a kid that has everything else almost college ready. He probably suits up every game and travels, but should do nothing more than signal plays. All the errors that happened with Cody Green's time as a Husker should be the standard on how not to handle TA. The potential is there as should a fan bases anticipation.

Thomas Brown-Easiest choice out of the LBs.Inland Empire League, and if you didn't read EZ's post I will not reexplain what this league of HS football is about. I(unlike EZ) love how he reads the play and gets to the ball. Plays well in space as well. This redshirt year should do him well.

Sam Cotton-As was the case with both of his borthers a Redshirt season could do Sam wonders. Has very soft hands and better speed than Ben coming out of HS. Both Barney, Ben and Jake have said Sam is the one they expect to be the best athlete of the bunch, so we will see. A ton of people hated this offer.

Imani Cross-This is debatable. But start him off with the plan to RS. The guy is a physical speciman so gaining more muscle isn't a necessary. Learning the playbook and pass pro and recognition are. NU has Marrow this year, so let Imani learn everything he needs to so he doesn't become a one game wonder. I am actually very excited about this kid. Like EZ, Dan Alexander is the first person I thought of the first time I saw his film, number two was Eddie George.

Aaron Curry-A huge pickup IMO. The collection of DTs can make or break a team. It is a difficult position to recruit. A RS year should do Curry wonders as far as picking up this defense and gives the staff a year to fully commit to playing him inside or out. There is still that possibility. I like him on the inside. Let him bulk up and if he keeps as much of the speed he has, look out. Think Steve Warren on that nasty 1999 defense.

Avery Moss-Potential is outstanding for a kid that started football as a JR(good avice Todd Peat). Frame and footwork of a future DE star. What a real weightlifting and nutrition program may do to this kid is scarey to think about. He wants to RS.

Paul Thurston-This kid is a road grader. It is unfortunate that his team sucked. Watch his film and you will see a kid that owned the field playing with almost junior high teammates. The OLine is not a need for immediate help, so give him a year to learn the system and mature some more. The plan is for him to bump down to guard and maybe Center. I like Guard, but also agree with Gary DiNardo and let him stay outside. He has the feet to be an All Conference Tackle by the time his career is over. Fits in perfectly with the guys NU signed last year.

Vince Valentine-This one is difficult. I love what NU has debuting this year in Williams and Peat. I guess the biggest factor in thie could be Jay Guy. VV. is a bigger, stronger, Guy, but like Guy was some unwanted weight he needs to lose. He is a beast, and I love this kid potential. I am torn if he should RS, but eventually say startout as a yes and see how the season play. I think of Vince Wilfork at Miami when I see this kid.

Corey Whitaker-Like Thurston, this guy finishes plays. And a lot of the time that meant sitting on a DE/LB/DB fifteen yards downfield. Very impressive film. Another Inland Empire stud, who admittedly hurt his own recruitment by not putting himself out there more through camps and sending out film. Love the thought of this kid pulling from around the end as a guard. A RS will do wonders with strength and technique.

Guys that WILL/SHOULD Play this fall

Jared Afalava-was decribed by one analyst as what "missile would look like with a helmet strapped on it". This kid explodes through people and gets there in a hurry as well. He recognizes the play, eliminates whomever may be in his way and then punishes whoever may be the poor soul with the ball. This kid may be a new reason to get stoked watching kickoffs this fall. He may not crack the rotation, but special teams is written all over the kid.

Zaire Anderson-Bo doesn't recruit JUCO's to ride the pine. We will be hearing his name a lot this fall I beileve

His film and stats from JUCO speak for themselves. HE JUST MAKES PLAYS.

Greg McMullen-A physical BEAST. His biggest knock was taking plays off here and there. However many would after being doubled/tripled teammed every play. With the exodus of Josh WIlliams, this may just put Greg on a fast track to the DE rotation.

Alonzo Moore- I personally don't like him starting out at DB. Don't get me wrong he could excel there, but when this kid has the ball in his hands things happen in a take your breath away good way. His team was beat in the Louisiana HS championship, but many who saw the game called in the Alonzo Moore Bowl. Return game meet your newest member. AA, Jamal and Zo.......video game moves. He honestly could become a poor mans Pat Peterson/Honey Badger at DB if he buys into it 100%

Mike Rose-His stock only grew through the year, and during the AA All Star game. Showed great ability to recognize, shed, tackle. His strength is great. Mike cracks the rotation this fall and plays on special teams as well.

Mo Seisay-CB opposite Andrew Green meet your new starter. A lot of times when JUCO kids come to D1 there is the shock of the speed of the game. Mo has already seen this at Memphis. He is already here, something that plays a huge role in his growth. I believe his coach who said he is better than Bowman and Armando.

Jordan Westerkamp-this kid is just so smooth, which makes him deceptionly slower than he is, His movements are so effortless he appears to float across the field. BEST ROUTE RUNNER I SAW THIS YEAR. Great routes!!! And his football IQ probably matches JRs in the program, And he catches everything. Prepare for the fans to fall in love with this kid, think Nate Swift part Deux.

HEADLINERS AND GEMS

• Fire 4

Continued...

HEADLINERS AND GEMS

Mo, JW, and ZA. All of these guys should come in and play from Day 1.

STEALS OF THE CLASS

Afalava, Curry, Avery Moss, and Whitaker. These will be kids that we should hear about down the road in their careers in a good way.

ACADEMIC RISKS

I believe there will be no casualties. Everyone is very close that is questionable and the Moore thing isn't even close to being a big dea.

AS FOR THE MISSES

Every year it happens. But what oes through an 18 year old kids head is a great mystery to most of us.

Devian Shelton-was a Husker up until Tuesday when USC came into the picture after things fell apart on their part. Can't blame the kid, "dream school" stays close to home, and comes into avery good program.

QL- I loved QL, but there were glaring noticable differences in his Jr and Sr films. Something wasn't the same, and a lot of others saw it as well. Not sure if it was the added weight or mentally he checked out a hair, but the two films are night and day almost. Again it is hard to pull some of these kids so far away from their home. This just appears to be the case. I think QL chose Rutgers for Rutgers, and that is something you don't see everyday and is refreshing.

Devin Fuller- I was as shocked as anyone when he chose UCLA. I thought it was gonna be Rutgers over NU. His Uncle being there in LA helped this without a dount as now it became easier for them to attend games, thus wasn't the case at Zona. Power to the kid and best of luck. HE WILL NOT BE A QB when his career there is over.

Andrus- Lots of us figured NU was a very good possibility. However what many need to get over, was playing with Todd was NEVER as big as a factor that some are making it out to be. Todd said he wasn't going to push Andrus this way, but would just be there for him when Andrus had questions about anything. No doubt he could have came in here and played from Day 1. I do think that Stanford's offense is a better fit to what teams are doing in the NFL and honestly probably are preparing their OLinemen better for the league as well. The academic side of things is a no brainer. Hopefully he becomes a good one, but with the class they signed he is going to have to bring his A game every day.

This is all personal opinion, and predictions. As I said in the other rant, that NO ONE will know anything about this class for two/three years. But I do like what was addressed, and am a little miffed at some issues. Oh well though, let's move on to 2013. It all starts in state and next years class is light years ahead of this last group;

• Fire 4

This is the funny part Paulie. You put together this great list and additional breakdown, and here is my challenge to the people that want to talk crap about this class:

We have pointed out what we like about each individual player, and we have discussed in detail why we feel the way we do about this class. Now, tell me what you don't like. Let's have a conversation about it and maybe I may be able to see your concerns. Break each player down and tell me what the issues are that you have with their game.

This is the funny part Paulie. You put together this great list and additional breakdown, and here is my challenge to the people that want to talk crap about this class:

We have pointed out what we like about each individual player, and we have discussed in detail why we feel the way we do about this class. Now, tell me what you don't like. Let's have a conversation about it and maybe I may be able to see your concerns. Break each player down and tell me what the issues are that you have with their game.

They were recruited by Bo and signed with Nebraska... is it really that hard to realize why they're so horrible?

:sarcasm

Good write up Crewe, as always. Can't wait to see Smoove, Westerkamp and ZA help us. Hopefully the LB class will increase the overall athleticism and depth at LB. Wish we could have gotten a HS corner so we could put Zo on offense. Hope McMullen can make an impact at some point this season. Our interior DL will be very good for us in a couple of years.

I'm so glad that there seems to be already a handful of sure bets for next years, much like the 2011 class. I really feel it will allow the staff to focus more of their attention going after highly rated players (i.e. a stud DL, DB or a suprise get). The 2012 class is a solid one, hopefully next years class will provide a few more 'game changers' to complement the 2012 class.

Given such a small class size we should have been full in October. Its an ok class for nebraska. I dont think we will ever get much better really. Never will we get shizzle or bling type guys. Only utility type atheletes and work in progress type guys. So realistically I think in four years we will look back and say wow this guy and that guy were great but him and him and him and him...eh. I'm guess nebraska will be about 9-4, 10-3 and guys like seisay and Anderson will be NFL bound leaving only a couple big impact guys. Can't wait to see who emerges.

Given such a small class size we should have been full in October. Its an ok class for nebraska. I dont think we will ever get much better really. Never will we get shizzle or bling type guys. Only utility type atheletes and work in progress type guys. So realistically I think in four years we will look back and say wow this guy and that guy were great but him and him and him and him...eh. I'm guess nebraska will be about 9-4, 10-3 and guys like seisay and Anderson will be NFL bound leaving only a couple big impact guys. Can't wait to see who emerges.

Okay, or you coould read the extensive breakdowns of the class given by PC and EZ and come to a different conclusion. Or not.

Continued...

HEADLINERS AND GEMS

Mo, JW, and ZA. All of these guys should come in and play from Day 1.

I would add Rose a headliner too. I'm very impressed with his highlights and his overall demeanor. He has leader written all over him.

Absolutely. This is very helpful with holding his fellow teammates accountable, which Bo mentions in the article.