The Religious Discussion of 2012

Science doesn't disprove one thing about God or creation. It is virtually pointless to argue these matters with those who do not believe in God or are unwilling to honestly consider the possibility. God created science. God created every shred of evidence we have to go on. I can't help but feel somewhat sorry for people who actually think we arrived where we are today by some random series of mathmatically improbable events that placed the earth the correct distance from the sun, gave us water, habitable temperatures, etc. If a person can come to the conclusion that this is not the result of intelligent design, especially persons who claim to know so much about science, odds, math, etc. I'm pretty sure there is not much that can be done about that. Not because the logical evidence is not there but because some people simply don't want to acknowledge the truth for a variety of reasons.

Science doesn't disprove one thing about God or creation. It is virtually pointless to argue these matters with those who do not believe in God or are unwilling to honestly consider the possibility. God created science. God created every shred of evidence we have to go on. I can't help but feel somewhat sorry for people who actually think we arrived where we are today by some random series of mathmatically improbable events that placed the earth the correct distance from the sun, gave us water, habitable temperatures, etc. If a person can come to the conclusion that this is not the result of intelligent design, especially persons who claim to know so much about science, odds, math, etc. I'm pretty sure there is not much that can be done about that. Not because the logical evidence is not there but because some people simply don't want to acknowledge the truth for a variety of reasons.

The only problem with your statement is that an early Mars was an Earth like planet. It is also the correct distance to support life. We are finding more Earth like planets the more we look.

I believe in God, if that's what you want to call him. I just don't believe in the more religious interpretation of God. I think there's a supreme being, or entity, that led us to creation. But, again, I don't take the (what I believe to be) fictional interpretation.

In a way, it all depends on what you mean by 'God.' Is it the religious God, or the wide-open interpretation of a supreme entity? If it's the religious God, it doesn't make sense for him to create "science" which directly contradicts all the great things he is capable of. Now, if it's a supreme entity that leaves us to our own devices, because it really has no control over us, that makes more sense (to me, of course.)

The only problem with your statement is that an early Mars was an Earth like planet. It is also the correct distance to support life. We are finding more Earth like planets the more we look.

People seem to think Earth is special. In reality, it isn't.

We've all seen the pictures. There are planets --> solar systems --> galaxies --> the universe. And there are hundreds of billions of galaxies out there. Our galaxy alone has over 200 billion stars, or 'Suns', if you want to call them that. This is what I think some people fail to consider when they talk about religion. The chances of us being the only lifeforms, and the chances of us being correct in our religious beliefs (and even scientific theories), is extremely small.

If you consider how big the universe is*, it's almost silly to think this couldn't happen all on its own. I don't think it's out of the question that we're here because of the right primordial soup way back when and there is no meaning.

No need to feel sorry for me. I think the universe simply existing, just as it is, is plenty awesome all on its own. I'm not an egomaniac, I don't need to be included in some grander scheme. I can completely accept that this all I get and the universe has no vested interest in me. That I'm lucky enough to have been born sentient is the greatest blessing I can imagine.

A few interesting statistics on what Americans believe.

92% believe in God.

85% believe in heaven.

82% believe in miracles

71% believe in the devil

69% believe religion plays too small a role in our lives

15% believe religion plays too large a role in our lives

34% believe in ghosts

34% believe in UFO's

29% believe in Astrology

25% believe in reincarnation

I'll be the first to admit that being in the majority is not always what it's cracked up to be but, 92%? People can do what they wish but I would really have to do some serious thinking and possibly re-evaluate my position if I knew 92% of other people disagreed with me on an issue that could have such eternal ramifications. Either that or I would have to be extremely egotistical and self centered to think I was that much smarter or more informed than so many other people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Enhance 89 Quote:

I take offense to being called a cynical non-believer. Just because I don't sit inside your clown car of lies doesn't mean that I don't believe in a God, it just means I don't believe in your version of God. I know what you mean by "cynical non-believer" - you're implying that we're all halfwit morons who should accept your meaning of faith because it's obviously the best explanation of the world around us. Bull sh#t.

Don't hide behind a "I mean something completely different!" curtain when somebody contradicts you. You clearly believe the "white light" just before death has something do with the Christian God, yet entirely dismiss the notion that it could be science related and simply part of something that happens when we inevitably die. And how do you do this? By casting a "you're a cynical non-believer!" blanket over those who have the nerve to contradict your religious blather. Again, it's bull sh#t.

And, lastly, don't sit there and say you don't care. There's 9 pages of your blather that showcase you do care - care enough to tell everybody they're wrong because you have faith in something. Believe what you want, but don't insinuate others are idiots simply because they don't think like you do. Don't try and say that's not what you meant, either - if you wanted to be less direct and more open about your beliefs, you would be. Every time you post something, however, you directly ignore the counter-argument. I've been open to your interpretations this entire time, despite my disagreement with them. That doesn't mean I think you're wrong, and I'm right, it just means I don't have all the answers. You sure as hell don't, either.

Why can't they coexist? The scientific explanation for the white light doesn't change the fact that it could still be the beginning process of the afterlife. Why can't science and faith coexist? Sir Isaac Newton was one of the greatest minds ever and was also a devout Christian. chuckleshuffle

There is a line in the Bible that says, "Love thy neighbor as thyself." So to all of those calling us halfwit morons and cynical non-believers, please take a look at your religion's work and come back when you can follow EVERY rule and EVERY law laid down in it, otherwise, you are [apparently] as "no good" as we are.

It's a this way or the highway, I'm right and if you think otherwise you're an idiot that has turned this nation [and many others past and present] into a bunch of blabbering fools.

Enhance 89 Quote:

I take offense to being called a cynical non-believer. Just because I don't sit inside your clown car of lies doesn't mean that I don't believe in a God, it just means I don't believe in your version of God. I know what you mean by "cynical non-believer" - you're implying that we're all halfwit morons who should accept your meaning of faith because it's obviously the best explanation of the world around us. Bull sh#t.

Don't hide behind a "I mean something completely different!" curtain when somebody contradicts you. You clearly believe the "white light" just before death has something do with the Christian God, yet entirely dismiss the notion that it could be science related and simply part of something that happens when we inevitably die. And how do you do this? By casting a "you're a cynical non-believer!" blanket over those who have the nerve to contradict your religious blather. Again, it's bull sh#t.

And, lastly, don't sit there and say you don't care. There's 9 pages of your blather that showcase you do care - care enough to tell everybody they're wrong because you have faith in something. Believe what you want, but don't insinuate others are idiots simply because they don't think like you do. Don't try and say that's not what you meant, either - if you wanted to be less direct and more open about your beliefs, you would be. Every time you post something, however, you directly ignore the counter-argument. I've been open to your interpretations this entire time, despite my disagreement with them. That doesn't mean I think you're wrong, and I'm right, it just means I don't have all the answers. You sure as hell don't, either.

Why can't they coexist? The scientific explanation for the white light doesn't change the fact that it could still be the beginning process of the afterlife. Why can't science and faith coexist? Sir Isaac Newton was one of the greatest minds ever and was also a devout Christian. chuckleshuffle

God and science, I think, do coexist. I don't think it's possible to have one without the other.

I didn't say you don't believe in Jesus I asked if you do! A question that can have many answers!! :hmmph

Actually, you did say that I don't believe in Jesus. That was only 43 minutes earlier. Yikes. Keep it up. You're doing great!

And what is with your moral ourtrage over a man you don't even believe in, kinda pathetic to try and use Jesus now just to try and make points!! :(

You know I meant that in terms of him being the Son of God!! Do you believe him to be the son of God? :dunno

92% believe in God.

85% believe in heaven.

82% believe in miracles

71% believe in the devil

34% believe in ghosts

34% believe in UFO's

29% believe in Astrology

I'll be the first to admit that being in the majority is not always what it's cracked up to be but, 92%? People can do what they wish but I would really have to do some serious thinking and possibly re-evaluate my position if I knew 92% of other people disagreed with me on an issue that could have such eternal ramifications. Either that or I would have to be extremely egotistical and self centered to think I was that much smarter or more informed than so many other people.

http://en.wikipedia....ntum_ad_populum

I find that fascinating that while 92% believe in God only 71% believe in the devil. Usually if you believe in Good there is a balancing out on the other side. :o

There is a line in the Bible that says, "Love thy neighbor as thyself." So to all of those calling us halfwit morons and cynical non-believers, please take a look at your religion's work and come back when you can follow EVERY rule and EVERY law laid down in it, otherwise, you are [apparently] as "no good" as we are.

It's a this way or the highway, I'm right and if you think otherwise you're an idiot that has turned this nation [and many others past and present] into a bunch of blabbering fools.

HA!

I find that fascinating that while 92% believe in God only 71% believe in the devil. Usually if you believe in Good there is a balancing out on the other side. :o

If found that interesting as well. I know it's partly because not everyone who believes in "God" believes specifically in the Christian fables. I also found it interesting that only 84% of Americans in the 18-29 age group believe in god, according to the same poll. So it's obvious we're becoming less religious as a society.

92% believe in God.

85% believe in heaven.

82% believe in miracles

71% believe in the devil

34% believe in ghosts

34% believe in UFO's

29% believe in Astrology

http://en.wikipedia....ntum_ad_populum

How so? In the OT Satan was more of a prosecutor who was under God's command rather than a free spirit. It wasn't until un-educated Christians who needed an adversary that Satan became the big bad guy. In fact the Holy Bible and Tankah OT's do not even match since Christians have changed it. in the OT the LORD does cause both good and evil. He loves the smell of flesh being burnt. He despised non animal sacrafices but yet against human made ones. the Isiah passage that everyone loves to quote actually refers to a king rather than Satan. Let's not forget the best part about where 4 to 4 other Gods got shrunked down to 1. the many names of God are actually different Gods but got mixed into 1 so monotheism could fly. Yahweh was just one of the hosts of heavens. El is the supreme God. El is also a Caananite God. No coincidence since Abraham moved to that region from Sumeria.