The Religious Discussion of 2012

Having "Faith", thats great. "Organized Religion", whether it's Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or whatever, can make rational people, completely and utterly, batsh*t crazy.

Alice in Chains said it best. "To some, God's name, is smack"

Love the band, but I think that it doesn't work in this context

The way I take the lyrics seems to. Religion makes some people wacked crazy, and 'smack' is certainly a reference to heroin. People get high and crazy on both of em.

Having "Faith", thats great. "Organized Religion", whether it's Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or whatever, can make rational people, completely and utterly, batsh*t crazy.

The way I take the lyrics seems to. Religion makes some people wacked crazy, and 'smack' is certainly a reference to heroin. People get high and crazy on both of em.

They stole that line from the old saw, "Religion is the opiate of the masses." Largely attributed to Karl Marx, but it predates his writings (or, at least, his published writings) in several publications.

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
- Karl Marx, 1843

Their so-called religion acts merely as an opiate: irritating, numbing, calming their pain out of weakness. (translated from German)
- Novalis. 1798

The Marquis de Sade wrote about "numbing the people to the pain of their daily existence (paraphrase)" in Juliette:

You fear the powerful eye of genius, that is why you encourage ignorance. This opium you feed your people, so that, drugged, they do not feel their hurts, inflicted by you. And that is why where you reign no establishments are to be found giving great men to the homeland; the rewards due knowledge are unknown here, and as there is neither honor nor profit in being wise, nobody seeks after wisdom. (translated from French)
-
Sade, 1797

They stole that line from the old saw, "Religion is the opiate of the masses." Largely attributed to Karl Marx, but it predates his writings (or, at least, his published writings) in several publications.

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
- Karl Marx, 1843

Their so-called religion acts merely as an opiate: irritating, numbing, calming their pain out of weakness. (translated from German)
- Novalis. 1798

The Marquis de Sade wrote about "numbing the people to the pain of their daily existence (paraphrase)" in Juliette:

You fear the powerful eye of genius, that is why you encourage ignorance. This opium you feed your people, so that, drugged, they do not feel their hurts, inflicted by you. And that is why where you reign no establishments are to be found giving great men to the homeland; the rewards due knowledge are unknown here, and as there is neither honor nor profit in being wise, nobody seeks after wisdom. (translated from French)
-
Sade, 1797

I find it funny that those quotes seem to feel that if you are religious somehow you are masking some kind of pain. So only secularists and aethists are really enjoying their lives. Although I have read to the contrary, studies have shown that people who are religious in this country seem to be happier. :wasted

So I started reading the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown because my clinical site is pretty slow and I don't want to sit around for 8 hours. Anyways, in the book, it says that a Roman Catholic priest named Georges Lemaitre is the originator of the big bang theory, but Hubble gets credit for the idea (even though he published is stuff two years after Lemaitre's original idea) because scientists did not want to give credit to the church for this breakthrough. So I looked it up to see if this was a true statement presented in the book and sure enough it is. Just found it a little interesting that a priest is the first person to claim universe expansion that we teach today.

So I started reading the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown because my clinical site is pretty slow and I don't want to sit around for 8 hours. Anyways, in the book, it says that a Roman Catholic priest named Georges Lemaitre is the originator of the big bang theory, but Hubble gets credit for the idea (even though he published is stuff two years after Lemaitre's original idea) because scientists did not want to give credit to the church for this breakthrough. So I looked it up to see if this was a true statement presented in the book and sure enough it is. Just found it a little interesting that a priest is the first person to claim universe expansion that we teach today.

I thought you were talking about the show "The big bang theory". I never watched it because I thought it looked stupid and it is but I started watching it and it is very funny. One of my favorite shows now!! :wasted

I thought you were talking about the show "The big bang theory". I never watched it because I thought it looked stupid and it is but I started watching it and it is very funny. One of my favorite shows now!! :wasted

Same here. My favorite show now. Was pretty upset a new episode wasn't on last night. Its not a Thursday without a new episode of big bang.

Has the Catholic church ever held a stance against the Big Bang? I know they fully support it now as the prevailing theory.

Has the Catholic church ever held a stance against the Big Bang? I know they fully support it now as the prevailing theory.

I have to admit I'm not sure on how some aspects of science are with the Catholics. I know there are many denominations of Protistants that claim the earth and univerise are only 5000 years old. And strictly adhere to the 7 day theory, regardless of scientific evidence to the contrary.