New DB coach

I agree, but I'd guess the percentage is much higher when we're talking those northern recruits. He hired that firm to improve efficiencies on the staff...but recruiting LA/GA/FL/TN, this guy is probably going to miss a much higher percentage than someone with equal connections to schools up north. I think it's great that he's got those connections and overall i'm really happy w/ the hire. I just think he's going to find it much more difficult convincing these southern kids go to Nebraska than he did LATech/TN - so it's tough to judge just how great of a recruiter he is.

We're tropical compared to most Big10 schools...I'd like to see what a good Big10 regional recruiter could do for us. In addition - every big time recruit we pull out of the north is a recruit that won't be playing against us at Ohio State/Michigan/Iowa.

I think a lot of Joseph's recruiting chops are open for debate. He's been recruiting coordinator at Tennessee for what? Two years? That's not a great sample size. Same goes for his coaching acumen. There's just not a lot to go on.

I think it's encouraging that he has ties in areas we want to hit for recruiting, but I agree that we cannot focus solely on his areas of (presumed) expertise. We must remain national and we must hit more than we miss on recruits. We don't have that SEC luxury of being able to afford to wildly miss-analyze (not sure that's a word) a player.

I guess it boils down to this - I would pump sunshine about this guy if I could, but frankly, I have nothing to go on. I'm not against the hire and I like that he's family - or at least, extended family - but I'm taking a wait-and-see stance before getting too excited about him. I can't see any great successes to point to in his resume. I'm in the same boat as I was with Fisher, and with Erstad in baseball.

I don't want to fall into the trap of focusing recruiting in traditional Big Ten hotbeds. We should get kids out of there if we can, but we should not ignore California, Texas, Florida, the South in general, New Jersey.... we need to remain national.

I really feel because of the fact that we have to recruit nationally, not having to rely on a particular region, it offsets a move to another conference or an opposing coaching staff sucking up the regional talent. It forces you to be resourceful and tactical in recruiting. I think a team like PSU for the past decade or so is an example to relying too much on there are for talent, one that is over saturated by OSU, Mich, Wisconsin, ect, resulting in their talent levels being ok to good.

I guess it boils down to this - I would pump sunshine about this guy if I could, but frankly, I have nothing to go on. I'm not against the hire and I like that he's family - or at least, extended family - but I'm taking a wait-and-see stance before getting too excited about him. I can't see any great successes to point to in his resume. I'm in the same boat as I was with Fisher, and with Erstad in baseball.

I actually feel a little better about this guy than I did about Raymond coming back for a second year. I don't really know why, and I don't have a lot of back that up - but I like the fact that his DBs create turnovers...something we failed miserably at last year. 03' defense thrived on interceptions. Last year we were one of the worst teams in the league there. I don't know how much that falls on the DL versus Raymond and his DBs, but I didn't see that area improving much this year...until now.

I agree, but I'd guess the percentage is much higher when we're talking those northern recruits. He hired that firm to improve efficiencies on the staff...but recruiting LA/GA/FL/TN, this guy is probably going to miss a much higher percentage than someone with equal connections to schools up north. I think it's great that he's got those connections and overall i'm really happy w/ the hire. I just think he's going to find it much more difficult convincing these southern kids go to Nebraska than he did LATech/TN - so it's tough to judge just how great of a recruiter he is.

We're tropical compared to most Big10 schools...I'd like to see what a good Big10 regional recruiter could do for us. In addition - every big time recruit we pull out of the north is a recruit that won't be playing against us at Ohio State/Michigan/Iowa.

I think a lot of Joseph's recruiting chops are open for debate. He's been recruiting coordinator at Tennessee for what? Two years? That's not a great sample size. Same goes for his coaching acumen. There's just not a lot to go on.

I think it's encouraging that he has ties in areas we want to hit for recruiting, but I agree that we cannot focus solely on his areas of (presumed) expertise. We must remain national and we must hit more than we miss on recruits. We don't have that SEC luxury of being able to afford to wildly miss-analyze (not sure that's a word) a player.

He was the RC at La Tech too. Brought in enough talent to get Dooley a better gig. I don't have an issue with his recruiting. I think he's as good as Raymond but with a better track record. He was also the next guy LSU was going to take if Raymond turned them down. I'm hoping his coaching is good enough that we don't slip backward technique wise as thats one areas our guys had just started to improve on. Again...from what I hear he's more a Marvin type guy even right down to having problems knowing who's the starter. I guess we were used to Bo telling him who's going to play so nothing will change on that end.

I actually feel a little better about this guy than I did about Raymond coming back for a second year. I don't really know why, and I don't have a lot of back that up - but I like the fact that his DBs create turnovers...something we failed miserably at last year. 03' defense thrived on interceptions. Last year we were one of the worst teams in the league there. I don't know how much that falls on the DL versus Raymond and his DBs, but I didn't see that area improving much this year...until now.

from the beginning of the year to about halfway i was against raymond and was getting very frustrated, but once that second half of the year and bowl game came into play, our Db's were completely different, hell during the bowl game the announcers were calling Andrew Green a lockdown corner like Dennard....obvi he wasn't but compared to the beginning of the year he was a whole new player

from the beginning of the year to about halfway i was against raymond and was getting very frustrated, but once that second half of the year and bowl game came into play, our Db's were completely different, hell during the bowl game the announcers were calling Andrew Green a lockdown corner like Dennard....obvi he wasn't but compared to the beginning of the year he was a whole new player

Raymond deserves some credit for that but a good deal of that also has to do with the fact that Bo started spending 1/2 his practice time with that group after OSU.

Raymond deserves some credit for that but a good deal of that also has to do with the fact that Bo started spending 1/2 his practice time with that group after OSU.

....interesting little nugget there...

....interesting little nugget there...

Tell me about it....If that's the case, then it makes Raymond look bad for his talent comments, which I initially didn't mind and agree to point. However he shouldn't have thrown them under the bus if he himself needed help.

Here are the recruits Rivals lists as having Joseph the top recruiter from this year (many recruits did not have a name next to them):

three-star CB Daniel Gray (who we offered, recruited by CR )

four-star DT Daniel McCullers

four-star S LaDarrell McNeil (who we offered, recruited by CR)

three-star DE Darrington Sentimore

In the previous recruiting cycle his name is listed next to three four-star players players, no one else.

His last year at LaTech he recruited 6 of the 8 three-star players the school signed, and an additional two two-star players.

Raymond was listed as co-recruiter for four-star Alonzo Moore and as the lead for four-star Seisay (but I believe that was attributed to Carl when Mo verballed).

Take it all for what's its worth. Just sharing some info.