SIGNED RB Terrell Newby

Nexus

Cross is just as fast as a lot of guys in the first 10 yards. But after that he lacks top end speed.

I agree, at least from the looks of it on TV. But in a special situation like the diamond, the luxury of having so many talented RB's creates a good dilemma, in being required to split hairs and find a reason to favor one over others. In this particular situation, I think top-end speed and acceleration should be the emphasis. Just a conjecture of mine; not preaching it as gospel since I am no offensive whiz.

Anyone that believes Cross won't have a large role in our O over the next 3 years wasnt paying attention....

Don't know if this was a reference to my post, but in case it was, I didn't mean that he wouldn't have a large role. Quite the opposite, both literally and figuratively. His role as the big back will be huge and extremely vital to have, since as it stands he is just about the only player on the roster who can play that role at a high level. The big bruiser role adds tangible value to our speedster-laden offense in providing that change of pace. My argument was that under Tim Beck, the offense will likely never primarily run out of formations that use him. Just making a prediction that he won't usually get more than 40-50% of carries in a game on a consistent basis (not including QB carries), barring drastic attrition at the RB position. Not a knock on the kid at all, it's a product of circumstances that are mostly out of his control, which are genetic limitations (sounds ironic to say given his beastly frame). He could do well as an every-down back, especially in a pro-style offense, but as long as Tim Beck runs the offense he does, and based on most of the formations I've seen that Tim Beck likes to run, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to predict that our other backs are going to be ahead in the pecking order for most plays and have more packages/plays designed to feature them. We're moving towards plays that are conducive to getting smaller and shiftier backs in space, But we will by no means as a program abandon altogether our use of big bruiser backs, Imani will likely produce some good highlights over his career. I know we love all our RB's and dream up scenarios where we have 3-4 100 yard rushers in a game consistently, but it's unrealistic. With one ball and so many good players, it's inevitable that some people are going to end up getting a lesser or greater workload than others. And my guess is that Imani is going to be one of those RB's that will get a lesser workload compared to the others, but by no means does that make his contributions less valuable.

I think Cross lacks the speed to be an every down back - I think he is a poor mans Leveon Bell, honestly - aside from them being about the same height and weight - they both aren't the fastest around a 4.5-4.6 40 time and certainly prefer contact.

I think Le'veon might have a few more moves in his repertoire though, think he is more fluid and possibly athletic - Cross is more "bulk"

I think Cross lacks the speed to be an every down back - I think he is a poor mans Leveon Bell, honestly - aside from them being about the same height and weight - they both aren't the fastest around a 4.5-4.6 40 time and certainly prefer contact.

I think Le'veon might have a few more moves in his repertoire though, think he is more fluid and possibly athletic - Cross is more "bulk"

Leveon Bell is a good comparison, but I think that Cross could develop Bell's speed.... Bell isn't very fast at all, and as was pointed out earlier, for the first 10 yards, Cross is pretty quick; In the first 10 yards is where you beat your opponent....

Anyone that believes Cross won't have a large role in our O over the next 3 years wasnt paying attention....

Don't know if this was a reference to my post, but in case it was, I didn't mean that he wouldn't have a large role. Quite the opposite, both literally and figuratively. His role as the big back will be huge and extremely vital to have, since as it stands he is just about the only player on the roster who can play that role at a high level. The big bruiser role adds tangible value to our speedster-laden offense in providing that change of pace. My argument was that under Tim Beck, the offense will likely never primarily run out of formations that use him. Just making a prediction that he won't usually get more than 40-50% of carries in a game on a consistent basis (not including QB carries), barring drastic attrition at the RB position. Not a knock on the kid at all, it's a product of circumstances that are mostly out of his control, which are genetic limitations (sounds ironic to say given his beastly frame). He could do well as an every-down back, especially in a pro-style offense, but as long as Tim Beck runs the offense he does, and based on most of the formations I've seen that Tim Beck likes to run, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to predict that our other backs are going to be ahead in the pecking order for most plays and have more packages/plays designed to feature them. We're moving towards plays that are conducive to getting smaller and shiftier backs in space, But we will by no means as a program abandon altogether our use of big bruiser backs, Imani will likely produce some good highlights over his career. I know we love all our RB's and dream up scenarios where we have 3-4 100 yard rushers in a game consistently, but it's unrealistic. With one ball and so many good players, it's inevitable that some people are going to end up getting a lesser or greater workload than others. And my guess is that Imani is going to be one of those RB's that will get a lesser workload compared to the others, but by no means does that make his contributions less valuable.

There will be games (like Iowa last year, and Michigan) where Cross will get 20-25 carries.... I see him having a consistent impact throughout the games....

Cross was a true freshman this year. Let Cross get with S&C before you rule him out. I know we are excited to see Newby and Taylor but if Cross gets a 1/2 a step faster or quicker in the offseason its going to be tough not to hand the ball off to him. Rgardless he will always get carries because he is our short down back and in the second half of conference games you bring him in as the closer. Very tough to tackle when defenses are tired and Imani Cross comes in fresh!

I think Cross will see more PT this time. I would love the Huskers to have carries look like this:

if we run the ball 50 times a game

Martinez: 10%-- 5 carries

Ameer: 50%-- 25 carries

Cross 20%-- 10 carries

Heard 15%-- 7.5 carries

Newby/Taylor:5% 2.5 carries

I am fine with Ameer being our guy, but flashes that Heard shows makes me think that if you pick his spots carefully, he can rack up big numbers on small amounts of carries.

Cross was a true freshman this year. Let Cross get with S&C before you rule him out. I know we are excited to see Newby and Taylor but if Cross gets a 1/2 a step faster or quicker in the offseason its going to be tough not to hand the ball off to him. Rgardless he will always get carries because he is our short down back and in the second half of conference games you bring him in as the closer. Very tough to tackle when defenses are tired and Imani Cross comes in fresh!

Personally, I don't think faster and quicker is what Cross needs to work on. What he needs to work on is hitting the hole hard and with a violent attitude. Sometimes this year he hit holes timidly. He needs to realize he is just as big and strong or even more so than the LB trying to tackle him in the hole. Make him pay for trying to tackle Cross.

I mark that up as being a Freshman. I think he will get better at this with experience and confidence in his running.

I think Cross will see more PT this time. I would love the Huskers to have carries look like this:

Cross 20%-- 10 carries

Heard 15%-- 7.5 carries

I am fine with Ameer being our guy, but flashes that Heard shows makes me think that if you pick his spots carefully, he can rack up big numbers on small amounts of carries.

Martinez will never have only 5 carries per game and he shouldn't. Heck, he is going to have at least 5 designed QB runs and then he will scramble for probably at least 5 more.

Cross 20%-- 10 carries

Heard 15%-- 7.5 carries

If these three remain healthy, there should be no need to play Newby or Taylor.

Cross 20%-- 10 carries

Heard 15%-- 7.5 carries

Martinez will never have only 5 carries per game and he shouldn't. Heck, he is going to have at least 5 designed QB runs and then he will scramble for probably at least 5 more.

I am saying designed runs....

Not scrambles(probably should consider that)

I more mean going in to a game.. This is the game plan.

And I through in the freshmen because if they aren't red-shirted, it might be fun to see what they bring to the table.

Cross 20%-- 10 carries

Heard 15%-- 7.5 carries

And I through in the freshmen because if they aren't red-shirted, it might be fun to see what they bring to the table.

How are you counting zone reads, to Taylor or Ameer? If they are actually being decided by the defense, they almost need their own category since we run them about 10-105 times a game (again, assuming it's not a designed hand-off)

Cross 20%-- 10 carries

Heard 15%-- 7.5 carries

A player usually isn't played just so the fans can see what they bring to the table.

I'm not saying giving one or both a few carries isn't a bad idea. But, if all they get is 2.5 carries between them, this board will go off it's rocker claiming the coaches miss managed the roster and they wasted their redshirt.