SIGNED RB Terrell Newby

Nexus

Heard should NOT move back to DB.....Heard will be contesting for starting RB. He's that good.

I understand and completely agree that Heard is that good at RB, the only reason that I think the coaches should CONSIDER moving Heard back to CB is the same reason they moved Steinkuhler from OT to DT.

I think he is the most natural RB on the team.

So you want the most natural RB on the team to switch positions...

I understand and completely agree that Heard is that good at RB, the only reason that I think the coaches should CONSIDER moving Heard back to CB is the same reason they moved Steinkuhler from OT to DT. I remember hearing it said that Baker could be an All-American at OT or All-Conference at DT, but we needed him at DT.

I believe that it was Baker's choice to play DT and not the staffs.

• Fire 2

I understand and completely agree that Heard is that good at RB, the only reason that I think the coaches should CONSIDER moving Heard back to CB is the same reason they moved Steinkuhler from OT to DT. I remember hearing it said that Baker could be an All-American at OT or All-Conference at DT, but we needed him at DT.

I believe that it was Baker's choice to play DT and not the staffs.

Yes, it was his choice.

Heard should NOT move back to DB.....Heard will be contesting for starting RB. He's that good.

I understand and completely agree that Heard is that good at RB, the only reason that I think the coaches should CONSIDER moving Heard back to CB is the same reason they moved Steinkuhler from OT to DT.

I think he is the most natural RB on the team.

So you want the most natural RB on the team to switch positions...

Because we have other very good RBs and we need DBs, I think it should be CONSIDERED

Because we have other very good RBs and we need DBs, I think it should be CONSIDERED

it was considered, last year. he made the switch in the spring but switched back after green left. heard has been a team player in sticking with his committment after not being initially qualified then switching positions last spring. you dont want to continually mess with a kid and moving him a second spring in a row would be just that.

Redshirt both of them. Abdullah, heard, and cross will be fine next year. If one gets seriously injured than pull one redshirt

You can scratch Heard off the list, no chance they both redshirt now.

Yeah, question will be, who gets the playing time Newby or Taylor?

Guessing whoever beats out the other.

The most logical would be newby to have a more elusive back, since Taylor seems to be more of a power guy and we already have Cross. Newby fits into Heard's playing capabilities pretty well, if better.

Ameer scares me because he is prone to fumble the ball! He isn't Taylor Martinez bad grant you, but Ameer is still one of only 8 D-1 players who have 6 or more fumbles on the year! With us having 2 out those 8, we better clean up the turnovers or we will never lose less than 4 in a year!

I'm not saying Ameer doesn't need to focus on ball security, but keep in mind FOUR of his fumbles were muffed punts. Obviously we can't have those on our team either, but I view that differently than him taking a draw up the middle and a LB stripping him.

Ameer scares me because he is prone to fumble the ball! He isn't Taylor Martinez bad grant you, but Ameer is still one of only 8 D-1 players who have 6 or more fumbles on the year! With us having 2 out those 8, we better clean up the turnovers or we will never lose less than 4 in a year!

I'm not saying Ameer doesn't need to focus on ball security, but keep in mind FOUR of his fumbles were muffed punts. Obviously we can't have those on our team either, but I view that differently than him taking a draw up the middle and a LB stripping him.

I think you bring up a really good point. While I think that overall fumbles are important, I'd be curious about how our team ranks in fumbles per touch/running play. Put the behavior in context. For instance, muffed punts are a different skill set then not getting it stripped on a run. Anyone have the down time at work to look into team rankings in fumbles per running play (factoring only fumbles on intended running plays/scrambles)?

I also think there is no need to redshirt both Newby and Taylor. In fact, I want and think both should play this year. If I were the coaches (which I clearly am not), I would consider redshirting Heard and moving him back to CB. Then split Heards 15% between Cross, Taylor and Newby. RB is not a position that needs to be redshirted every year. We don't want to become Boise State, where we redshirted every player that comes through the door. Let the play-makers play! JMHO

I agree. That's why I thing Martinez, AA and Heard should get most of the carries.

Wait a minute.

On one hand Lions says to let the player makers play meaning don't redshirt them. Then, he says we should redshirt someone who has proven on the field he can be a pretty darn good RB and knows the offense.

This is the problem I always have with the crowd that says..."The young play makers should be on the field". Well, the same thing was being said about Heard when he was a Freshman. So....are we always going to play freshmen and set upper classmen on the bench?

I agree that if there is room for Taylor and Newby to play neither of them should redshirt. Not only will it get them early playing experience but it will also look VERY ATTRACTIVE to future rb studs if we have had true freshman playing the possition each of the past three seasons. But if one has to be redshirted, I would prefer newby has an extra year to bulk up.

Redshirt both of them. Abdullah, heard, and cross will be fine next year. If one gets seriously injured than pull one redshirt

You can scratch Heard off the list, no chance they both redshirt now.

Yeah, question will be, who gets the playing time Newby or Taylor?

The most logical would be newby to have a more elusive back, since Taylor seems to be more of a power guy and we already have Cross. Newby fits into Heard's playing capabilities pretty well, if better.

Agree, Newby is the obvious choice with Heard leaving, he will definitely get a chance to earn playing time and we're only one injury away from he and Taylor both seeing the field. We should find out pretty quickly how good these guys are.

I think you bring up a really good point. While I think that overall fumbles are important, I'd be curious about how our team ranks in fumbles per touch/running play. Put the behavior in context. For instance, muffed punts are a different skill set then not getting it stripped on a run. Anyone have the down time at work to look into team rankings in fumbles per running play (factoring only fumbles on intended running plays/scrambles)?

I can tell you that one of those muffed punts was an absolutely atrociously bad call by the refs that was upheld by review that clearly showed the ball 2-3 yards away from Ameer's foot. (the Arky State muffed punt)

The biggest thing with Ameer though is that he's fumbled in the absolute worst opportune times. In our comeback against Wisky, which Martinez was right there to pick up and run for a touchdown. If we lose that one, we're most likely not winning the game. Then there were the 2 fumbles in consecutive Capital One Bowls that absolutely killed our momentum. I have faith he will work on that problem in the offseason. Hopefully he and Martinez get together to figure things out.