OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

I just listened to Andy Markowski a little bit go explain what and why Nebraskas needs to look for. We have to max out on the best mid major HC who has had high major asst experience (the chances of getting someone noteworthy with high major hc exp is slim to none) . The high major asst experience is critical in order to gain contacts and ins into the high AAU programs coast to coast. He made it sound as if our main issue is talent, and that recruiting ability may be more of a an issue with this search than plain old x's and o's.

According to the OWH Spinelli has been contacted.

According to Tom Dienhart/Big Ten Network, we've reached out to Rob Jeter for an interview.

Looks like our AD is still discount shopping for talent.

I would expect that we contact up wards of 15-20 coaches to gage interest and talk to 4 or 5. Most of the interviewing will be done in the next 10 days as teams start to fall. Someone who has the ear during this is Brian at the LJS. The OWH is throwing darts. Yesterday Lee said that SS wasn't contacted and wouldn't be then reports come out that we had talked to him the day before.

Right now we're talking to people who are calling us if it makes anyone feel better.

Do you know who has been calling us?

According to Tom Dienhart/Big Ten Network, we've reached out to Rob Jeter for an interview. Looks like our AD is still discount shopping for talent.
I would expect that we contact up wards of 15-20 coaches to gage interest and talk to 4 or 5. Most of the interviewing will be done in the next 10 days as teams start to fall. Someone who has the ear during this is Brian at the LJS. The OWH is throwing darts. Yesterday Lee said that SS wasn't contacted and wouldn't be then reports come out that we had talked to him the day before. Right now we're talking to people who are calling us if it makes anyone feel better.

I've called but they won't talk to me.

According to Tom Dienhart/Big Ten Network, we've reached out to Rob Jeter for an interview.

Looks like our AD is still discount shopping for talent.

I would expect that we contact up wards of 15-20 coaches to gage interest and talk to 4 or 5. Most of the interviewing will be done in the next 10 days as teams start to fall. Someone who has the ear during this is Brian at the LJS. The OWH is throwing darts. Yesterday Lee said that SS wasn't contacted and wouldn't be then reports come out that we had talked to him the day before.

Right now we're talking to people who are calling us if it makes anyone feel better.

I know there have been at least half a dozen but I don't know anymore about who than whats in the paper. I know that UCLA released a statement yesterday that seem to contradict the information from about 10 ish today about their coach. His people contacted us about the opening and I think he's still open if we want to talk to him. I'm not sure how comfortable TO is with him after the SI story so I might be an NU is currently keeping him at bay instead of the other way around.

I also know that Marshall slowed down the SC talk and its thought thats because he wants to hear what we have to say but I'm not 100% sure its so he gets a bigger payday. And thats just a booster rumor and not from anyone in the AD.

If we can commit $200 million to facilities for our basketball programs, we can get whoever we want. this is a perfect opportunity to add mens hoops to Husker athletics. with everything he's done in football, Tom might leave a lasting legacy almost as strong with this hire and his decisions to invest in basketball. (or he might flop) Exciting times.

How about this guy:

Head Coach David Arseneault

index0_1831.jpgHead Men's Basketball Coach 1989-Present

Head Women's Golf Coach 2000-PresentNow in his 21st year at Grinnell College, Head Coach David Arseneault has become nationally and internationally renowned for his innovative coaching techniques and offensive-minded basketball.Known for full-court pressing and three-point shooting, his teams have led all playing levels in scoring for 13 of the past 15 seasons, while ranking first in the country in three-point shooting for the 11 of the past 15 years. In 2003-04, his Pioneers led the country in scoring with a then-NCAA record of 126.2 points per game. During the 2001-02 campaign, the team averaged previous NCAA record marks of 124.9 ppg and 20.4 three-pointers per contest. A by-product of his high-flying, fast-paced basketball has been increased player participation, enthusiastic home crowds and a virtual assault on the offensive records section compiled by the NCAA Statistics Office. While on sabbatical in 1996, Arseneault fulfilled numerous coaches' requests by publishing a book entitled, "The Running Game - A Formula for Success" and an instructional video called "Running To Extremes." In 2004, he produced another video, "Running to Win" that describes the evolution of the program's playing style. These instructional tools explain his unique playing and substitution style, which emphasize shooting the ball every 12 seconds and incorporating as many as 16 players per outing. Arseneault received his Bachelor of Arts in Administrative Science from Colby College (1976) and Master of Education from Brock University (1985). He has been honored as the Midwest Conference Coach of the Year three times (1993-94, 1995-96, 2000-01) and has led the Pioneers to eight post-season appearances and four Midwest Conference Championships (1995-96, 2000-01, 2002-03 and 2006-07). In addition to heading up Grinnell's prestigious men's basketball program, Arseneault has also led the College's women's golf team since 2000. Arseneault resides in Grinnell along with his wife, Ellie, a third-grade teacher at Davis Elementary School. They have two children - David who is in his fourth year at Grinnell College - and Jennie who is at the University of Virginia.

It might be fun to watch at least :lol:

There are some insiders who are claiming that we offered Dana Altman a $2 million per contract and he's likely to accept, but he won't do so until Oregon is done in the NIT.

I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but I'd be cool with hiring Altman. It makes the most sense considering his roots here.

• Fire 2

Another name that has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the Nebraska Basketball Head Coaching job is former Northwestern & Kansas player, and current University of San Francisco head coach Rex Walters. He was born in Omaha.

His coaching record at San Francisco has been:

2008-2009 11-19

2009-210 12-18

2010-2011 19-15

2011-2012 20-13

This is really starting to get irritating. It is almost like Tom doesn't know enough basketball to know who is good and who isn't.

IMO, none of the guys on our radar currently deserve any more pay than what Doc was getting. With maybe the exception of Altman, just because he is "somewhat" proven, but I still do not want him.

So who do you want?

I guess the thing I don't get about this particular search is the need to find someone who has ties to Nebraska. It's not like Nebraska is like some former great that has fallen on hard times. We've been bad FOREVER. What exactly would be so wrong about getting someone who has no ties to that? I mean, it was hysterical to read the writeup in the paper on Jeter and go "ok at least there isn't some obvious Nebraska tie that is a reason he's in the mix" and then read on to see that his uncle played football here. This isn't six degrees of Kevin Bacon. We can hire a dude who's oblivious to how bad we've been and still have success.

• Fire 1