97 Nebraska vs 97 Michigan (ESPN Poll)

We would have smoked that Michigan team, no doubt about it.

NU would have smoked them easily. Michigan fans have this strange notion they'd have beaten us though. I guess when you live in Michigan the cold does tend to mess with reasonable thought processes.

Well Brian Greise wouldnt have done a damn thing against the blackshirts, and Charles Woodson wouldve been a non factor the entire game. I have never understood either why they thought they wouldve beat us soundily.

We would have smoked that Michigan team, no doubt about it.

NU would have smoked them easily. Michigan fans have this strange notion they'd have beaten us though. I guess when you live in Michigan the cold does tend to mess with reasonable thought processes.

Well Brian Greise wouldnt have done a damn thing against the blackshirts, and Charles Woodson wouldve been a non factor the entire game. I have never understood either why they thought they wouldve beat us soundily.

Yes. I also feel the D was just as good as Michigan's and, like you posted, Woodson wouldn't have been an issue due to our run game and ball control.

Peyton Manning says the Blackshirts were pretty damned good that day.

Fred White, UT Safety, thought so, too:

"We always thought of ourselves as a physical team," White said. "We could fight and play with anybody. Bring it on. We're ready."

But they weren't ready for Nebraska.

White remembers being knocked down on kickoff coverage for the first time in high school or college. Taken aback, he conferred with fellow cover man, Eric Westmoreland.

"What's happening on your side?" White asked.

"I was on the ground," Westmoreland replied.

Nebraska began to take charge in the second quarter. As the teams prepared to return to the field for the second half, the Cornhuskers made it clear they were just getting started.

"We're about to wear you out," they told White.

"It wasn't really trash talk, the way they said it," White said. "They just said it (matter-of-factly), 'We're about to wear you out.' And they wore us out."

LINK

I have no doubt that 1997 Michigan had great players. But 1997 Nebraska was a great team. And they more than deserved that national championship. And there is zero doubt in my mind that we would have wiped the field with that Michigan squad. Would've made the Tennessee beating look mild.