DiNardo tweet about Burkhead

He is not Danny Woodhead.

A lot of us had the same comments about Pork Chop, I truly thought he would make it. I see Rex a lot like Cory, who still is my favorite Husker, and Rex is rigth there, but he is not a Hypsman player, will not get any push, as it is required by the University. We seldom promote and it takes heavy promotion.

Fans stating what they believe makes them no less fans, less fanatical possilby. Every year we go through this, hope eternal. For once I would like to see it actually happen, we actually make an improvement, we actually win a game that matters at the end of season, before I see the face palms. Face plants seem to indicate that you know far less than you think you, or at least it has been proven on this board over and over. So face plant away. In the end we will be a 9-4 team, no CCG, no BCS game and no Hypsman. Reality, hard and cold.

My projections of where we have ended up over the last 10 years have been far closer than the majority on here that still see us winning MNC and CCG. We are still a long away from winning anything and players the level of Rex is one of the reasons. We do not get the top running backs, QB's, Dlinemen, Olinemen nor do we get a coaching staff that can produce. If we truly had a Hypsman running back on the roster we might have a shot, but Rex is as close as we get. I think he does all he can do, a step or two more, but there are many running backs out there ahead of him and numerous QB's. Latimore will be the odds on favorite for RB is my guess.

I appreciate you taking the time to more thoroughly explain what you think. I'm not saying you're totally wrong or you don't have some merit to what you're saying. But come on, we signed Tommy Armstrong who was the #5 dual threat QB last year. We signed Todd Peat who was one of the top DT's, Paul Thurston who was one of the top OL, Aaron Green was a top 5 running back, and those are simply the guys right off the top of my head. I get the whole "trust but verify" approach you're taking but to say that we haven't signed any top or highly rated kids at any position is misguided and off-base.

I don't really see Rex as having much of a shot at winning the heisman, but the Doak Walker award is something he should be in the running for if he has another year like last year or better.

IMO the only "contender" for the heisman that we have on our team might be Taylor Martinez, but just because he is a flashy runner. If he has the proficiency passing the ball that he showed in the second half of 2011 and busts out a run or two each game like he did in 2010, T-Mart is going to be on a lot of peoples' radars.

Heisman Mission Statement:

"The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with dilligence, perseverance, and hard work."

Sounds like Rex to me!!!

Rex is a great kid, class act and character by the boat load. He is a blue collar lunch pail runner who gets the tough yards. He isn't flashy. He is consistent, persistent and gets tough yards. He is the heart and soul of this team. He is not flashy enough, nor does he put up gaudy enough numbers for a RB. Look at what Helu did in 2010 and not even a mention.

Rex would make a great side bar feel good story for the Hypesman. Would love to see him win it, but do not see it happening.

Personally, I don't think he's a Heisman guy. (big breakaway threat/flash)

I think he is more of a MVP guy. Guess it depends on your definition.

I tend to agree with this. He's definitely the MVP of the Nebraska offense but he's not really a Heisman guy. Here's my short list of Heisman candidates:

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

Tyron Matthieu, CB, LSU

Marquise Lee, WR, USC

Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

My short list:

some guy from LSU that ESPN likes

some guy from Alabama that ESPN likes

some guy from U$C that ESPN likes

some guy from ND that ESPN likes no, they are on CBS

some guy from Texas that ESPN owns