Pelini not 'pulling teeth' this spring

With his team now halfway through spring practice, Husker coach Bo Pelini said Saturday he's been impressed with this group's desire and attitude.

"I've been around teams where it felt like you're pulling teeth in spring practice, and it hasn't felt that way with this group," he said after the seventh of 14 practices before the Red-White Spring Game on April 14.

Pelini admitted it can be a challenge for a team to continually be motivated when it shows up to practice five months before a game.

"It's not always easy from a player's standpoint when you don't have that carrot at the end of the (stick) with a game coming up," Pelini said. "Yeah, we have a spring game, but that's different. You're playing against each other."

But Pelini, who has had an upbeat tone in all of his postpractice interviews this spring, said this team has not slacked on the field or in meetings.

Continue Reading

The potential is there for this team to be VERY good. This team just needs to stop self-inflicting wounds.

something just feels weird, everything ive read this year Pelini sounds like a different person, im not sure but im hoping we can fly under the radar this year...i wouldnt have expected this to be a year where i thought we'd have a chance at a conference championship, but you never know

All things pointed to 2013 being the year the Huskers made a move. Our schedule becomes much easier, Taylor M will be a senior with 4 years experience, our line would have jelled by then on both sides of the ball, and RB's and LB's would have depth and quality. To me it feels like 1969 and 1993 ....we were a good team gaining confidence and playing at a high level by the end of the year, with a high percentage of returning players. I'm thinking this years team will be pretty special. Pass the Kool-Aid please.

This tone does sound somewhat different than the past coach speak "our best ever crap". Bo appears to actually be trying to get depth and experience ie letting back ups play the majority of first scrimmage. The staff also appears to be on the same page across the board. Joseph really seems to be saying the right things (I like that). Year 2 in Beck's system (whatever it is), Martinez working with a QB coach (IMO shows he knows he has issues and that staff does as well, whether his or Beck's idea it is being done), Garrison in year two, Kaz seems to have the right mindset and skills etc..

As 'skers said above, if we could just stop making boneheaded self inflicted wounds it could be a great season. I look at NW and USC as games we should have won if not for our own mistakes.

• Fire 1

All things pointed to 2013 being the year the Huskers made a move. Our schedule becomes much easier, Taylor M will be a senior with 4 years experience, our line would have jelled by then on both sides of the ball, and RB's and LB's would have depth and quality. To me it feels like 1969 and 1993 ....we were a good team gaining confidence and playing at a high level by the end of the year, with a high percentage of returning players. I'm thinking this years team will be pretty special. Pass the Kool-Aid please.

I think there's a reasonable chance your scenario is on the money. I'm with ya......

:koolaid2:

The potential is there for this team to be VERY good. This team just needs to stop self-inflicting wounds.

something just feels weird, everything ive read this year Pelini sounds like a different person, im not sure but im hoping we can fly under the radar this year...i wouldnt have expected this to be a year where i thought we'd have a chance at a conference championship, but you never know

I'm glad someone else thinks that too! In the picture they ran of Bo in the OWH he is actually smiling! He seems like he's actually having fun! I'm with you. I know 2013 is suppose to be the 'it' year for the Huskers but, Man, I think we're going to have a heck of a team this year too! GBR!

People were saying the exact same thing about 2011 back in 2009...I don't disagree that this year can be special, just pointing out that fanbases go through this trend all the stinkin' time.

People were saying the exact same thing about 2011 back in 2009...I don't disagree that this year can be special, just pointing out that fanbases go through this trend all the stinkin' time.

And everyone's team is also able to hang with anyone on their good days. I really don't buy that this year is going to be anything spectacular. 9 wins before the bowl is the best I'd hope for, just like I figured they would last year. Until Pelini rolls out a very well disciplined team that doesn't constantly shoot itself in the foot, it will be nothing but second and third place finishes.

I just hope they are headed in the right direction. We had some disappointing losses in 2009 - but we finished strong and had some good momentum going into the off-season. We started to get a lot of buzz in recruiting after that - and I think it spawns some relationships that helped get us that 2011 class. I don't expect anything spectacular in the win column this year (i'd be very pleased with 10 wins) - but there is a 4-5 game stretch in there that could be just brutal and set the course for the rest of the season. If we can escape that with 3 wins, then finish strong I'll be very happy. I'll be looking for progress in this "process" Pelini has been talking about the last 4 years. We saw it early, but the last couple seasons it's been flat. Progress doesn't necessarily mean more wins, I'm hopeful we'll see it.

They probably thought we were going to be in the Big XII in 2011.

• Fire 1

They probably thought we were going to be in the Big XII in 2011.

Bingo.

^ yup, i think our defensive issues partly stemmed from the transition. had we been in the Big12 last year, it would have been a different story IMO. And I think 2010 might have been different as well. You look at the A&M game if we weren't leaving the conference and it's a win. The Texas game would have been hyped, but not to the extent it was, and I'd say it would have been a win any other year.

There is no doubt the move changed things, and likely hurt us in the short term as far as wins/losses goes. Even as far as recruiting goes. You recruit 4 years out, which is why we are short on linebackers. It's going to take a lot of time to get all the pieces in alignment again.

In my own opinion, the Husker Player's attitude shouldn't be "fly under the radar". If we have wins that are by 3 points or less, they are still wins, but I would hope the Cornhuskers have the attitude of 60 minutes of hard nosed footall, where you run over somebody and don't pull any punches. 2012 has the potential of something special. If nothing else, leaders are going to emerge on the team.