NEW DB coach= return to physical

Ziggy

I thought the reason we went away from bump-and-run was because of the pansie B1G refs. Who throw hankies at any DB contact off the line.

Yeah. I'd like to see what Dennard would've done playing under Terry Joseph. I think his talent would have been even more apparent if they'd have unleashed Phonsie on WRs right off the LOS.

Uhhhhhh, how is this not what Fonzie did? Fonzie played aggressive bump and run because that's what he does. He is feisty, he gets up in receivers' faces and just forces them out of bounds. He got so physical with Alshon Jeffrey that they started throwing punches and got kicked out of the bowl game for it!

I don't think we had B1G 10 officials in the Cap One Bowl. True, though, that Dennard was the most aggressive bump-and-run cover guy we had last season.

Read this story this morning about the progress of Mohammed Seisay:

http://huskerextra.c...5bf8a9d312.html

Just thought it was interesting to see we are getting back to the old physical DB's , putting pressure on WR's to get past the line of scrimmage and into their routes. I personally hated last years coaching style of pure technique and lining up 5-7 yards off the LOS and trying to out play WR/TE's. Anyone who has played defense in football knows you are at a disadvantage if you are reacting instead of attacking an offensive play. The bump was what made our pass coverage so great the first couple years BO was here, by getting offenses off sync and giving our front 7 time to pressure the QB into mistakes. Also getting close to the LOS gives us a distinct advantage of extra run support when teams run outside the tackles. Also good to see Mo is progressing into a possible contributor already in spring practice.

I think Seisay will be the starter at CB him and Green.

Just thought it was interesting to see we are getting back to the old physical DB's , putting pressure on WR's to get past the line of scrimmage and into their routes. I personally hated last years coaching style of pure technique and lining up 5-7 yards off the LOS and trying to out play WR/TE's. Anyone who has played defense in football knows you are at a disadvantage if you are reacting instead of attacking an offensive play. The bump was what made our pass coverage so great the first couple years BO was here, by getting offenses off sync and giving our front 7 time to pressure the QB into mistakes. Also getting close to the LOS gives us a distinct advantage of extra run support when teams run outside the tackles. Also good to see Mo is progressing into a possible contributor already in spring practice.

+ Jackson in the slot and let SJB/Ciante/Bell/Heard/Davie duke it out for the 4th spot = loaded at CB.

+ Jackson in the slot and let SJB/Ciante/Bell/Heard/Davie duke it out for the 4th spot = loaded at CB.

"Loaded at CB" Agreed. Last year besides Dennard we where completely bare at CB spot. I looked at the Washington game yesterday and Green and Evans looked horrible even Stafford didnt look that great. Amazing how much things have changed except for Evans who I thought progressed very little compared to Green and Stafford.

I really don't think we are loaded. We are in a better spot than last year overall, but we're lacking the shutdown guy. We may have him but we don't know yet. It looks quite nice, but the degree to which we are counting on newcomers -- Seisay and Jackson and Heard -- is a little alarming, no? Green showed a ton of promise at the close of last year after getting picked on early, too.

If Green continues his upward trend and we get two of the three guys to step up, then we might feel pretty good about. These are big question marks though. I think Evans and SJB are both remembered disproportionately for a couple of individual plays they made, where they both actually got beat. So we're going to have to rely on the other guys and frankly, the youth and lack of dependable experience at the position reminds me of the shape the cornerbacks were in in 2008.

Hopefully we have developed good safety help for them.

I like the physical play. Sanders taught this and Raymond changed that as evidenced by pre-season comments last year from Fonzie and Evans about having to change. Our DB's got out man handled until late in the season. I remember the first few B1G games the WR's pushing off and getting no penalties. With the pre-season comments and that, I knew we were screwed. Then Carl's mid season "we need more physical DB play was telling as well. Good riddance to Raymond and welcome Joseph.

Also remember (paraphrasing) Sanders comments about a receiver can't catch a pass if he is off his route or off his feet. Physical play brings a swagger. Receivers (look at Jefferies melt down) do not like to be "punched" in the mouth constantly from snap to whistle. We play nasty and mean (not cheap) we will see the results. Look at Brown, Booker, Minter etc.....they were physical as all get out.

I like the physical play. Sanders taught this and Raymond changed that as evidenced by pre-season comments last year from Fonzie and Evans about having to change. Our DB's got out man handled until late in the season. I remember the first few B1G games the WR's pushing off and getting no penalties. With the pre-season comments and that, I knew we were screwed. Then Carl's mid season "we need more physical DB play was telling as well. Good riddance to Raymond and welcome Joseph.

Also remember (paraphrasing) Sanders comments about a receiver can't catch a pass if he is off his route or off his feet. Physical play brings a swagger. Receivers (look at Jefferies melt down) do not like to be "punched" in the mouth constantly from snap to whistle. We play nasty and mean (not cheap) we will see the results. Look at Brown, Booker, Minter etc.....they were physical as all get out.

Very good point. Those were some mean machines out there for us and can't wait to see a return.

Now.....if Caveman and someone else steps up on the Dline....... :koolaid2:

I never understood why it was thought that our DB's would be flagged more in the Big 10 than the Big 12. You always hear that the Big 10 is more physical so why would they call PI closer? It very well could be true, but it always seemed backwards to me that you'd be allowed to maul a WR in the pass happy big 12 and not be as physical with the Big 10 Wr's without getting a penalty. I guess I always assumed it was more of Raymonds way of teaching than the actuality of it. Regardless, I'm happy to hear our DB's will continue to be physical.