Husker Draft Picks 2012

Ziggy

I'm also trying to figure out how people figure this class was actually HIS first class. Wouldn't this be the class that started the Fall after he was hired? And Bo was hired... a month, month and a half before signing day? How much can you realistically expect in that timeframe? I know they're not quite the same, but heck, I've heard more than once that Erstad only had one recruit of HIS that is on the team this year. In other words, one that he actually recruited, and wasn't started or already committed by the previous staff. Heck, I'd consider Biggs as Miles' first signee. Parker and Shields were already signed before Miles was hired. Again, I think you have to go to at least year two of a coach before a class is really HIS, unless the person was some type of assistant under the previous coach. While one of these guys may indeed have been Bo's recruit (I don't follow recruiting that much, and don't really know out of that class who Bo recruited and who had already committed), I think it's very tough to say this was really Bo's first class.

Pats just got a steal.

The Dark Lord Belichick does well with troubled players. Randy Moss. Chad Ochocinco.

Except it may be a bit unfair to called Dennard 'troubled'. Unless someone else knows something, or I missed something, the scuffle at the end of the bowl game and this incident are the only things he's shown as far as temper/issues. While it's never wise to strike someone, and certainly dumb to strike a police officer, the most likely reason he is going to have the charge knocked down and not see much penalty from the justice system is his history. Far as I'm aware, there isn't any. Really never thought he'd fall that far. Take it, and run with it, Alfonzo, and grats! And grats to both David and Crick! I think all three will represent Nebraska very well at the next level.

I've been a big fan of Dennard his whole career. But he was kicked out of his last college football game. Then, days before the NFL draft, he punches a cop and gets thrown in the can. If he's not troubled then he is really, really stupid. Take your pick.

Pats just got a steal.

The Dark Lord Belichick does well with troubled players. Randy Moss. Chad Ochocinco.

Except it may be a bit unfair to called Dennard 'troubled'. Unless someone else knows something, or I missed something, the scuffle at the end of the bowl game and this incident are the only things he's shown as far as temper/issues. While it's never wise to strike someone, and certainly dumb to strike a police officer, the most likely reason he is going to have the charge knocked down and not see much penalty from the justice system is his history. Far as I'm aware, there isn't any. Really never thought he'd fall that far. Take it, and run with it, Alfonzo, and grats! And grats to both David and Crick! I think all three will represent Nebraska very well at the next level.

I've been a big fan of Dennard his whole career. But he was kicked out of his last college football game. Then, days before the NFL draft, he punches a cop and gets thrown in the can. If he's not troubled then he is really, really stupid. Take your pick.

Probably my perspective, from having dealt with one of the mental health boards in Nebraska for more than four years at the State's Representative, but it would take more than those two incidents for me to consider or tab someone as 'troubled'. We've all seen guys with a lot sketchier past and the same level of talent drafter higher. Not debating that both incidents were examples of the guys not using his head. But the proximity of the incident with police dropped him lower than I think he probably deserved. Anyhow, like Dude says, could easily be the Pats best CB out of the gate. Hopefully, the guy takes what he was given, and runs with it, and does right by himself.

What does it say about our talent level that we are only looking at having 3 or maybe 4 players picked? It certainly does not speak well of the first class Bo brought it.

Players from Pelini's first class that are still on the team: Antonio Bell, Compton, Ben Cotton, Fisher, Kreikemeier, Marlowe, Meredith, Okafor, Osborne, Reed, P.J. Smith, Steinkuhler, Thompson, Steven Osborne and Whaley. 15/28 players.

Players no longer on the team (including transfer/graduation but didn't go to NFL/released from team/etc): Cooper, Grant, Hetzor, Levorson, Rogers, Spano, Toailoa, Mason Wald, Lester Ward, Josh Williams, and Whitmore. 11/13 remaining players.

Ricky Henry graduated after two years and went into the NFL. Dennard is the lone remaining player who just got drafted. Crick and Marcel Jones were 2007 recruits and David was a CC transfer.

If we're going to judge ANYTHING, it'd be his next year's draft class. But, how fair is that really, when you consider Pelini arrived on campus mere weeks before signing day? Not very. That's like being hired to a company in April and having your annual employee review in May. What's there to look at?

What does it say about our talent level that we are only looking at having 3 or maybe 4 players picked? It certainly does not speak well of the first class Bo brought it.

Players from Pelini's first class that are still on the team: Antonio Bell, Compton, Ben Cotton, Fisher, Kreikemeier, Marlowe, Meredith, Okafor, Osborne, Reed, P.J. Smith, Steinkuhler, Thompson, Steven Osborne and Whaley. 15/28 players.

Players no longer on the team (including transfer/graduation but didn't go to NFL/released from team/etc): Cooper, Grant, Hetzor, Levorson, Rogers, Spano, Toailoa, Mason Wald, Lester Ward, Josh Williams, and Whitmore. 11/13 remaining players.

Ricky Henry graduated after two years and went into the NFL. Dennard is the lone remaining player who just got drafted. Crick and Marcel Jones were 2007 recruits and David was a CC transfer.

If we're going to judge ANYTHING, it'd be his next year's draft class. But, how fair is that really, when you consider Pelini arrived on campus mere weeks before signing day? Not very. That's like being hired to a company in April and having your annual employee review in May. What's there to look at?

Okafor is gone also. And of the guys remaining I don't think next year will look good on draft day either. Unless Reed or Steinkuhler have great senior years it may be that no one will be drafted til the 3rd or 4th round next year.

Fair or not, he will be judged on it, its just how the coaching business works. And the university does get graded by history on how many guys were drafted, when coaching changes happened don't tend to show in that history.

Okafor is gone also. And of the guys remaining I don't think next year will look good on draft day either. Unless Reed or Steinkuhler have great senior years it may be that no one will be drafted til the 3rd or 4th round next year.

Fair or not, he will be judged on it, its just how the coaching business works. And the university does get graded by history on how many guys were drafted, when coaching changes happened don't tend to show in that history.

Compton, if he keeps improving and playing like he did near the end of last year, could easily be a mid-round selection. Cotton and Meredith as well, although, Meredith has the steepest hill to climb. Is there a first rounder in that bunch there? Probably not, unless he has an amazing year. But there are many good teams out there who didn't have a first round selection Thursday.

Judging Pelini on the 2008 class is, for lack of a better term, completely idiotic and foolish. I'm not drinking the koolaid, either. I'd more than willing to admit the shortcomings off our staff. Pelini's recruiting, as of right now, isn't one of them by my standards. He could be doing better, but he could also be doing a lot worse. And a class he had mere weeks to work with is not going to garner hefty praise or criticism.