The Gauntlet - Three of Four Games in Prime Time

The Gauntlet  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In a span of five weeks this Fall the Huskers will play four games, three of which are now slated for Prime Time. The games:

9/29 - Wisconsin: The first of Nebraska's three conference Prime Time games. This is the conference opener for both teams. Last year in Madison the Badgers beat Nebraska 48-17.

10/6 - @ Ohio State: One week later the Huskers travel to Columbus to take on the Buckeyes who, no doubt, will be looking to avenge a bitter loss in Lincoln. Last year Nebraska posted it's greatest comeback of all time to beat the Buckeyes 34-27, after trailing 21 points with less than 20 minutes to play. This will also be under the lights, set for a 7pm Central kickoff.

10/13 - Bye Week: Nebraska gets a week to catch their breath in the middle of this run.

10/20 - @ Northwestern: The Huskers were out-coached and out-played for four quarters last year by an unintimidated Wildcat team. Kain Kolter, who scorched the Huskers all game long, both as a receiver and QB, returns to lead the Wildcats. Last year NU beat us at home, 28-25.

10/27 - Michigan: The last of the four-game stretch, another Prime Time tilt against a team that returns its primary weapon, Dennard Robinson. This time the game is in the friendly confines of Memorial Stadium. Last year Michigan beat the Huskers in Ann Arbor, 45-17.

There you have it. Three of the four games in this five-week stretch are already slated for Prime Time. We lost to three of these teams last year and were down to the fourth by three TDs before a miracle comeback.

What's our record going to be against this foursome this year? Can we sweep? Will we leave October winless in conference play? Or will we finish somewhere in between?

I voted 2-2. My reasoning:

9/29 - Wisconsin: No Russell Wilson, plus the loss of seven assistants and three starting O Linemen, will create enough turmoil to bring Wiscy back down to earth. Plus, if there's one thing Bo Pelini has consistently shown it's that, no matter how good your run game, you cannot beat him with an immobile quarterback. Danny O'Brien, see: Kirk Cousins / James Vandenberg. May God have mercy on your soul. I'm counting this as a win.

10/6 - @ Ohio State: Playing Urban Meyer in Columbus under the lights, after that comeback last year, with a health Braxton Miller... this could turn into a track meet, one I can only hope we're contenders in. It's not that we can't beat this team. I just find it highly unlikely. I'm counting this as a loss.

10/13 - Bye Week: Nebraska gets a week to catch their breath in the middle of this run.

10/20 - @ Northwestern: In 2010 we had a week and a half to prep for Texas, a team that finished 5-7 and was clearly on the ropes. We stunk up the joint, at home, and got beaten. Badly. I want to believe we've learned our lesson and we won't spend two weeks getting so far into our own heads we come out stiff and uninspired. It's possible, but I don't see us losing this game. I think vengeance will be dished out. In heaps. I'm counting this as a win.

10/27 - Michigan: We poached Rick Kaczenski from the Iowegians to help figure out how to stop mobile quarterbacks. And while Shoelace was superlative against us last year, he's shown a propensity to turn the ball over far too often. However, I think Brady Hoke has some real mojo working in Ann Arbor, and even though this game is at home, under the lights, and even though we should be better against Robinson this year, I'm still not sold enough on this Husker team to count this as a win. I hope I'm wrong. But.. I'm counting this as a loss.

I'm going with 3-1. The 1 being Ohio State more than likely. Not that I think they are necessarily better but they may have a a little retribution in store. I would hope we could rebound from last year against a weaker Wiscy team and we should not take NW lightly again but, If Michigan beats us at home, I'm done for the season.