The Ron Brown Religion & Persecution Thread

1. Why does suffering exist and why does God allow it?
  2. Religion is behind all the wars and evil things out there so how can you still believe in God?
  3. Why does slavery exist in the Bible? Doesn't that mean God is an a-hole for allowing it?
  4. Jesus said that rich people can't get to heaven easily, so why is it the goal of Christians to be rich?
  5. Did God create AIDS/Cancer/insert_disease_here?
  6. Why does a God, who is supposed to love, punish people in fiery Hell?
  7. Did all the people who lived before Jesus go to Hell?

So, there you go. I used to be an atheist. Now I'm a Christian. However, I'm not a Trinitarian and I don't believe in Hell. I do believe in a fallen angel named Satan though. I'd be more than happy to move this conversation to another thread if there is interest in the questions I posted and how I view them.

I would like to hear how you view these questions and how you came to this conclusion in another thread.

Background: Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned in any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than

homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig

makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two

different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing

garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

Jake

• Fire 1

I also forgot to add to the rumor alert that Dijon Washington may also be transferring, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

thats a good thing. open scholly for someone who may contribute.

if ron brown is canned, thats total bullsh#t. since when can't you stand up for your beliefs? wow. suck it harvey.

To hijack. If Brown gets canned it sux. Say all you want about representing NU, but it comes down to what is PC in this country. Attack Christianity, rock on you are a free thinker. Give a view contrary to the PC crowd and you are a hate monger, homophobic, racist etc........ Free speech is only free if goes along with the PC crowd. Would love to see NU stand their ground on this one if they are being pressured to fire Brown.

Brown has all the right to defend his beliefs. fundamental christian beliefs at that.......if you come out supporting homosexual relations it is not challenged. get a clue america.

harvey really needs to shut his f'ing mouth.

It has been noted that E(Spin)'s Rick Reilly has again called out RB for his involvement with the Omaha city council. My fear is that this devolves down to a point where Harvey P feels it necessary to remove Ron from the university. If or when that happens all hell will break loose in this state. I'm not sure where the decision makers (big donors) would stand on this issue. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and outside influences aren't persuasive enough to cause civil war in Big Red country.

It has been noted that E(Spin)'s Rick Reilly has again called out RB for his involvement with the Omaha city council. My fear is that this devolves down to a point where Harvey P feels it necessary to remove Ron from the university. If or when that happens all hell will break loose in this state. I'm not sure where the decision makers (big donors) would stand on this issue. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and outside influences aren't persuasive enough to cause civil war in Big Red country.

It would be a collective s%!t storm. The thing is if Brown does get fired at this point it really wouldn't be because of his religious beliefs. Any member of the university that creates bad press is a liability for the institution. I really doubt Harvey hold extremely strong convictions about Brown's stance. If he did Brown would be gone already. What Harvey really really cares about is preserving the universities image, above all else. That is all a firing would be in his eyes, although many others will see it as an attack on religion and free speech and probably lots of other random issues.

Politicians and heads of major institutions aren't paid to have convictions as much as they are to follow the path of least resistance and put out fires. Newspapers and tv stations and franchises like ESPN do their best to make waves and ride them. They aren't interested in civil rights, religious rights or the fracture a firing would cause. They make their money on dissent, unrest and dumpster fires. Perlman is pressured more by the other heads of the Big 10 and doesn't want to loose face among his peers. Stay cool gentlemen and let this blow over.

Keep in mind that Ron Brown appeared at this hearing fully aware that the media would be attending and that his Husker celebrity would grant him more attention than the average Joe. Blaming the media for creating the unrest is pretty ludicrous when Ron Brown was in fact courting the attention, hoping to promote his belief that the people who disagreed with him would forever burn in hell.

It's not always about political correctness. Sometimes it's just about correctness. Rick Reilly's article hit Ron Brown's hypocrisy on the nose.

I don't think you need to fire Ron Brown. But you should clearly state that his beliefs do not reflect the institution of Nebraska Football that has made Ron Brown famous enough to think he can influence others to share his prejudice. For that matter, Ron Brown doesn't speak for Jesus, either.

By the way, some pretty smart and well-reasoned dialogue on both sides here on HuskerBoard.

Keep in mind that Ron Brown appeared at this hearing fully aware that the media would be attending and that his Husker celebrity would grant him more attention than the average Joe. Blaming the media for creating the unrest is pretty ludicrous when Ron Brown was in fact courting the attention, hoping to promote his belief that the people who disagreed with him would forever burn in hell.

It's not always about political correctness. Sometimes it's just about correctness. Rick Reilly's article hit Ron Brown's hypocrisy on the nose.

I don't think you need to fire Ron Brown. But you should clearly state that his beliefs do not reflect the institution of Nebraska Football that has made Ron Brown famous enough to think he can influence others to share his prejudice. For that matter, Ron Brown doesn't speak for Jesus, either.

By the way, some pretty smart and well-reasoned dialogue on both sides here on HuskerBoard.

I fully agree that the media had every right and should have reported RB's attendance at the meeting. It was public news and he, whether he wants to be or not, is a public figure. My mention of the media previously was more centered on the national media and how they try to make a bonfire out of a campfire. I think local media will see it in a somewhat better light and understand the powderkeg it could become. If it blows up they too will have no choice but to report it every hour on the hour.

Background: Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned in any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than

homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig

makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two

different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing

garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

Jake

Just a real quick note. Orthodox Jews, do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah, there fore they still keep the Mosaic law. Christ was the new covenant or new law if you will. Numerous things are sinful to include tattoos in the Old Testament. Jesus, upon his second coming, rocks one on his thigh according to Revelations.

What people, including Christians, fail to realize is that Christ loves everyone. He does not love certain races, people groups etc.....He loves every one. What separates people from Christ is sin and the failure to acknowledge he is the Messiah.

Religion aside...Ron Brown has NU over a barrel...there is no way they can get rid of him without sparking national controversy and distractions. I like him as a coach, but what a mess he has made the NU football team, probably without even trying to. Or...

I'm not so sure about that. RB has used his celebrity as a Nebraska coach to speak about religion. He wouldn't have the audience he gets without his affiliation to DONU football. He also used Memorial Stadium as his address, which speaks volumes.

Like it or not, RB uses UNL's influence for purposes that are his own.

He used it the one time in Omaha, trying to make a joke that he spends most of his time there, and said later he shouldn't have. I don't think he will again.