Athletic Dept. balances budget with $0 of university money

Nothing new but impressive because of the new facilities, the Big 12 exit fee, and breaking the $80-million expenditure mark that NU continues to operate in the black.

NU still balancing books despite rising costs

The Nebraska athletic department balanced its books in 2011 without a dime of university money – it’s been that way for awhile, but continues despite major facility upgrades and lost revenue for the exit from the Big 12 – making $83,679,756 while spending $81,916,484

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the athletic dept. actually give money to the university? Seems like I remember hearing that before.

Money, I don't believe so. But the Athletic Department has donated a number of buildings and facilities to the University itself.

How many university athletic departments around the country do this, even without the new facilities and Big 12 exit fee?

Agreed. Just imagine our balance sheet without that Big XII vermin payoff...hell, we'll (once again) be one of the most profitable FBS schools in the nation.

Of course, we're not going to touch the dirty money Texas rolls around in, nor will we touch the Holy money Notre Dame possesses, but to be very near to the top, and to have done it with honesty and integrity, and in a state like Nebraska...well, that just speaks volumes about the people of our state, the fans of the program, and who we have running the program for the University. :)

What even makes it more impressive is that we have done this with the addition of the new facilities etc but we are not even getting a full share of the B1G money yet. If I am not mistaken we don't get our full share until 2017 but are still making more than we did in the Big 12-4+2=10 :)

What even makes it more impressive is that we have done this with the addition of the new facilities etc but we are not even getting a full share of the B1G money yet. If I am not mistaken we don't get our full share until 2017 but are still making more than we did in the Big 12-4+2=10 :)

It looks like our "Rights/Licensing" is up $3.9 million from last year. But last year was down some because the Big12 withheld some payments that went towards our exit fees. It's up $2.8 million from 2009.

If you look at the B1G - most are sitting right around $40 million in Rights/Licensing - so it appears as though Nebraska might be about $8-9 million shy of the other members - but slightly ahead of where we might have been with the Big12.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the athletic dept. actually give money to the university? Seems like I remember hearing that before.

Yes they do make a payment to the school each year, however I believe Pearlman said the school would waive the fee for the first year or 2 after the move due to the buyout costs and lower share of conference revenue.