Who is the #2 football player on the team?

I think we've all figured out by now that being the best ball player does not automatically equate to playing time under Bo Pelini. Look outside the numbers and the playing time. Some guys are on another level and it's pretty easy to see it if you take the time to look. Jamal Turner is a gifted athlete. I don't know what kept him off the field last year, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is one of the best ball players on this team. Clearly to get on the field at Nebraska, atleast under Coach Pelini's era, you have to be more than just a good football player.

TMart easily. I wish I could rate Steinkuhler higher but cannot as the D-Line was the worst unit last season. Maher definitely gets some votes. So does Bell. And Compton. These guys are all key players.

There are also a lot of players who can really turn the corner this year and be leaders. I would put the following in this category:

Enunwa

Most all of the OL

Turner

Ankrah

EMart

Stafford

Rome

Whaley

Evans

Green

These guys do it this year or I'm afraid they may never do it. The guys I bolded to me are going to have great years and it is their turn to be leaders on this team.

I think we've all figured out by now that being the best ball player does not automatically equate to playing time under Bo Pelini. Look outside the numbers and the playing time. Some guys are on another level and it's pretty easy to see it if you take the time to look. Jamal Turner is a gifted athlete. I don't know what kept him off the field last year, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is one of the best ball players on this team. Clearly to get on the field at Nebraska, atleast under Coach Pelini's era, you have to be more than just a good football player.

:facepalm:

TMart easily. I wish I could rate Steinkuhler higher but cannot as the D-Line was the worst unit last season. Maher definitely gets some votes. So does Bell. And Compton. These guys are all key players.

There are also a lot of players who can really turn the corner this year and be leaders. I would put the following in this category:

Enunwa

Most all of the OL

Turner

Ankrah

EMart

Stafford

Rome

Whaley

Evans

Green

These guys do it this year or I'm afraid they may never do it. The guys I bolded to me are going to have great years and it is their turn to be leaders on this team.

Good post! I think we'll see the Oline & Caveman come on strong.

Yeah the title and the opening thread are misleading this entire thread! The title asks for the #2 football player. Doesn't specify "best or most valuable" and the opening post describes a conversation about the 2nd best player behind Rex. I'm with Knapp on most important or valuable being Tmart. Anytime a guy handles the ball on every play as well as the checks at the line getting us into the right play, he has to get the most valuable nod.

As far as best goes, I would venture that based on impact leadership and athleticism, it would be Stafford for me. I think he is gonna be a beast this year. Pelinis track record with these juco kids suggests as much...

Sorry if the title and OP are misleading or confusing, I was just asking the question as it was asked to me. The way I look at it is, who is the best all around player after Rex?

Im pretty solid with Rex at #1, yes the quaterback is the most important position.... but Rex can play QB and im willing to bet he could do a damn good job at it if he needed to .... he could be really good at just about any position on the field

Yeah the title and the opening thread are misleading this entire thread! The title asks for the #2 football player. Doesn't specify "best or most valuable" and the opening post describes a conversation about the 2nd best player behind Rex. I'm with Knapp on most important or valuable being Tmart. Anytime a guy handles the ball on every play as well as the checks at the line getting us into the right play, he has to get the most valuable nod.

As far as best goes, I would venture that based on impact leadership and athleticism, it would be Stafford for me. I think he is gonna be a beast this year. Pelinis track record with these juco kids suggests as much...

Sorry if the title and OP are misleading or confusing, I was just asking the question as it was asked to me. The way I look at it is, who is the best all around player after Rex?

Im pretty solid with Rex at #1, yes the quaterback is the most important position.... but Rex can play QB and im willing to bet he could do a damn good job at it if he needed to .... he could be really good at just about any position on the field

No prob. I understood what was going on. Some posters were answering different questions which caused some debate. It's all good! :)

I was thinking about nominating Lance Thorell, but then I remembered he graduated...

THANK GOD!!!

I'm thankful for the way Lance represented his school and Nebraska during his time as a Husker. He did his best, and I think that's all anyone can ask. Don't see the need to throw these kinds of insults out there.

Hard to say who number 2 is behind Rex. I'm not real optimistic about this upcoming season. If they couldn't stop Northwestern last year with next-level talent, how are we going to do any better now?

• Fire 1

Eric Martin and Andrew Green keep coming up...why? What have either of these players done to make anyone think that they're the best player on the team behind Rex? Nothing.

I don't get it either, especially with Martin. My favorite was on a different topic where someone said he'd be starting if he played for Alabama.

Eric Martin and Andrew Green keep coming up...why? What have either of these players done to make anyone think that they're the best player on the team behind Rex? Nothing.

I don't get it either, especially with Martin. My favorite was on a different topic where someone said he'd be starting if he played for Alabama.

he'd be starting special teams

Ha.....yeah, there's little evidence on how I trump him up. He's got the motor! Now, if those new plugs, oil/air filters & carb work out.....

Why not Andrew Green? He was playing great at the end of last year. About as good as anyone on the team. And certainly better than Mike Caputo.

Why not Andrew Green? He was playing great at the end of last year. About as good as anyone on the team. And certainly better than Mike Caputo.

Goddammit I'm never gonna live that down!