Any chance for Bo and/or Beck going for a real identity soon?

Reading the expectations thread got me thinking......will Bo/Beck "really" commit to any offensive scheme soon? The Diamond, Zone read, option, etc? Or maybe go the other direction for the WCO, Fun & Gun, etc?

I think we'll continue forever to have a "good" offense with our current multiple philosophy but seriously doubt we'll ever be great.

No doubt with enough talent we could excel at anything but how realistic is it for NU to stand toe to toe with the Alabama, USC, Ohio State, etc of the cfb recruiting world ? If we run the same scheme as everybody else we're on an even field with the competition but for many reasons I doubt we can hack that with any consistency.

So help me out here, ok? What will Bo/Beck do? Some of you know what the real deal is.....sharing is a great thing! :)

Reading the expectations thread got me thinking......will Bo/Beck "really" commit to any offensive scheme soon? The Diamond, Zone read, option, etc? Or maybe go the other direction for the WCO, Fun & Gun, etc?

I think we'll continue forever to have a "good" offense with our current multiple philosophy but seriously doubt we'll ever be great.

No doubt with enough talent we could excel at anything but how realistic is it for NU to stand toe to toe with the Alabama, USC, Ohio State, etc of the cfb recruiting world ? If we run the same scheme as everybody else we're on an even field with the competition but for many reasons I doubt we can hack that with any consistency.

So help me out here, ok? What will Bo/Beck do? Some of you know what the real deal is.....sharing is a great thing! :)

we have an identity, its option football through multiple formations. There is a huge difference. Having multiple formations is not the "multiple" anyone is referring to (which we are not by the way). I can't believe how often this comes up on this board. When you talked about "offensive scheme" you brought up zone read, option, and diamond. Well I don't want to sound arrogant or conceited but Zone Read is option football, its just not the traditional veer option, power option, load option etc. Furthermore, The diamond, is NOT a scheme. Its a formation. Big difference.

• Fire 2

May I point out to the good sirs posting herein that Nebraska football, does indeed already have a offensive identity: running the ball. That's the basis of our "identity," our bread and butter, and what we will continue to focus on. Formations and personnel grouping will change but what we will do without fail is pound the rock.

Um the offense is a spread opton offense. The Zone Read is an option play within that system. The Diamond is a formation within that system.

The schemes and offensive identity are fine, Being better on the O-Line and having more consistancy at QB and WR are the key issues this team faces.

If the Line improves and starts knocking people over again, if the QB decision making improves (it started to last year) and the passing game (both the QB being consistant and the WR's catching the ball consistantly) improves then the scheme will look a LOT better.

• Fire 1

Um the offense is a spread opton offense. The Zone Read is an option play within that system. The Diamond is a formation within that system.

The schemes and offensive identity are fine, Being better on the O-Line and having more consistancy at QB and WR are the key issues this team faces.

If the Line improves and starts knocking people over again, if the QB decision making improves (it started to last year) and the passing game (both the QB being consistant and the WR's catching the ball consistantly) improves then the scheme will look a LOT better.

This. :thumbs

Well yes, with a good enough Oline anything can work. Good throws by Tmart and our WRs catching the ball helps too.

I just really, really miss Uncle Milt's recycled blocking schemes. For that, we almost always ran plays that had the same fundamental blocking techniques that reduced the strain on the Oline. As he always said...."reps, reps, reps". Yeah, this was Beck's his first year so everything is understandable but usually having a couple zone read plays, a couple diamond formation plays, maybe "one" mis-direction run and so on.

I just don't see NU having any bread-and-butter plays whatsoever. From week to week, it's tinkering with this or that. I really, really hope Beck decides to hang his hat on something.

Yea and our bread and butter player leaves next year, we may starve.

I think what BShirt is trying to get accross, is that we need some type of offensive mark, where the kids we want to recruit, OH yea that Nebrasks team just runs over everyone, lines up and tells them where they are going and does it. Or they run the WCO and if I go there I will be taking steps for when I go pro. Just something that says this is who we are, come be part of it.

I thought our identity was going to be a defensive powerhouse under the tutelage of the Pelini Brothers, with a nice little offense to go with it.

I agree with everyone else who thinks the phrase "identity" is used mostly by fans, and generally misused at that.

I've also noticed that the fans most anxious for Nebraska to find an identity simply wish we'd become a run first, run only offense, pounding the rock and exerting our will through a relentless rushing game. Or to put it another way, they wish it was 1995 again.

We tend to forget that the triple option offense of those Husker glory days was a very, very complicated and yes even "multiple" offense to run, requiring a perfect storm of o-line and backfield talent and discipline. The WCO freaked some people out because it involved those new-fangled forward passes, but it wasn't necessarily more sophisticated or difficult to learn than Tom Osborne's offense.

This is an incredible fast Husker offense, and if they learn to hold onto the ball they can make a lot of schemes work. If Burkhead's workload goes down this season, it will mean things are going well.

Well yes, with a good enough Oline anything can work. Good throws by Tmart and our WRs catching the ball helps too.

I just really, really miss Uncle Milt's recycled blocking schemes. For that, we almost always ran plays that had the same fundamental blocking techniques that reduced the strain on the Oline. As he always said...."reps, reps, reps". Yeah, this was Beck's his first year so everything is understandable but usually having a couple zone read plays, a couple diamond formation plays, maybe "one" mis-direction run and so on.

I just don't see NU having any bread-and-butter plays whatsoever. From week to week, it's tinkering with this or that. I really, really hope Beck decides to hang his hat on something.

Wouldn't that be fumbling?