Locale of National championship

i never followed it until recently when we got the new stadium, and the team here actually become good all of a sudden. i was surprised how physical it is. take out the prima-donna flops, and soccer isn't too bad. it isn't Husker football, but I enjoy watching a game - just not on TV.

I actually don't mind soccer golf on TV, but only as background noise if I'm really mad at my TV and want to punish it. If I'm doing something that I need to focus on but want something going on in the background, soccer wanting to take a nap, golf is the thing. Once in a while something Nothing ever exciting happens, there's a constant, dull roar silence, and there are NO COMMERCIALS if the 3 Tylenol PM's haven't kicked in yet, at least I can enjoy the commercials. That alone is the single greatest thing about soccer golf on TV.

Edit: I should've taken this out of knapplc's quote...he obviously didn't make the changes. :)

Kansas City. Probly unlikely though, in view of KC's storied history of not spending anything on athletics.

you obviously have not been to KC in a while - if you had you'd notice the $200 million state of the art soccer stadium, the $300 million sprint center the city is using to try and get a professional NFL/NHL team, the $250 million that just went into Kauffman stadium that allowed us to get the all-star game, or most importantly to this conversation the $500 million they just put into Arrowhead. All within the last 5 years.

now, if you want to argue that Arrowhead/Kauffman are in crappy locations, and sit so far on the outskirts of the city, bordering the ghetto that having a MNC game there provides a pretty crappy experience....well - then you'd have something. or that while we may have top notch facilities, we won't put any money into the roster....well - then you'd also have something :)

The Soccer stadium by legends and the raceway right? I've been to KC a half dozen times since moving out here and think the city proper is kind of grungy and rundown but that stadium and the surrounding area are really nice, I was impressed.

Yup. And downtown is kind of sketchy. It will forever be battling the fact that it sprouted up around the stockyards. A lot of what supported that still exists in rubble today. It's like Denver 10 years ago, right after they put the Rockies stadium downtown. Took a decade or so to really build things up there. The Sprint Center going downtown, in addition to the power & light district (which has a bunch of expensive bars/restaraunts) has really improved downtown. They just built a new performing arts center as well. They put a grocery store down there a couple years ago, so the condos are starting to sell really quick. Where it was 10 years ago, and where it is today is entirely different but they have a long ways to go. If they had pulled their head out of their a$$es and rather than poor a ton of money into Kauffman, built a new baseball stadium downtown I'd be a lot happier with KC. As it is KC Metro is larger that New York and they don't seem to have any intention (public transit) of bringing people back towards the city, so you get used to driving 50 miles across the city to go to a baseball game, then 40 miles in another direction for a soccer game.

There is a lot of talk down here in Dallas that Cowboys Stadium has a GOOD shot of getting the National Championship. A couple of reasons why that is:

#1 It is currently the best football facility in the country. Cowboys stadium would be able to hold a very large capacity of people (over 100k) and currently has the most suites/money from suites of any stadium in the country. The revenue that place can generate is shocking. Also, Jerry Jones and the cities of DFW have the money to bid high enough to get the game to come in. If it comes down to a bidding war he is the guy who can stay in it until the end.

#2 The NCAA likes its central location and climate controlled environment.

#3 Travel into the city is fairly easy with American Airlines and Southwest Airlines headquarters in DFW. DFW airport and Love Field offer easy ways and flexible travel into DFW and Love Field is on track to be completely redone as a new airport by fall of 2014.

I don't see any problem having it at Cowboys Stadium. It won't be permanent, and it would be hard to believe they wouldn't host it at least within the first couple of years. That's the top venue in the nation, I can't see anywhere else topping it, so if it's played somehwere else then that's limitted fan experience and revenues. They've also got the weather going for them. Remember, while this is seperate from the bowls - we still have decades and decades of post-season history in college football...and it all has happened in the warm weather states. I don't see them deviating from that for a long time. If Soldier Field couldn't get a bowl game, why should they host the national championship?

I don't see any problem having it at Cowboys Stadium. It won't be permanent, and it would be hard to believe they wouldn't host it at least within the first couple of years. That's the top venue in the nation, I can't see anywhere else topping it, so if it's played somehwere else then that's limitted fan experience and revenues.

It's the Walmart of stadiums. As in, no college football atmosphere or culture. So if Walmart is your favorite store, then sure, Cowboys Stadium is the top venue in the nation.

I don't even like the damn sound of the crowd during games there. It has this eerie echoey freakish quality about it.

• Fire 1

There is a lot of talk down here in Dallas that Cowboys Stadium has a GOOD shot of getting the National Championship. A couple of reasons why that is:

#1 It is currently the best football facility in the country. Cowboys stadium would be able to hold a very large capacity of people (over 100k) and currently has the most suites/money from suites of any stadium in the country. The revenue that place can generate is shocking. Also, Jerry Jones and the cities of DFW have the money to bid high enough to get the game to come in. If it comes down to a bidding war he is the guy who can stay in it until the end.

#3 Travel into the city is fairly easy with American Airlines and Southwest Airlines headquarters in DFW. DFW airport and Love Field offer easy ways and flexible travel into DFW and Love Field is on track to be completely redone as a new airport by fall of 2014.

Hmmm... I'm having trouble with this one. Centrally located to whom? SEC teams? Kansas City is right in the middle of the United States! I vote for anywhere except Texas. It may be all that and a bag of chips but puke! Sorry my revulsion to all things Texas football is showing through. (I know...it will probably be the first choice especially since it's been bought and paid for by ESPN) I know I'm not being fair. Many of my relatives live there but....oh I do so strongly dislike TEXASS!

I don't see any problem having it at Cowboys Stadium. It won't be permanent, and it would be hard to believe they wouldn't host it at least within the first couple of years. That's the top venue in the nation, I can't see anywhere else topping it, so if it's played somehwere else then that's limitted fan experience and revenues.

It's the Walmart of stadiums. As in, no college football atmosphere or culture. So if Walmart is your favorite store, then sure, Cowboys Stadium is the top venue in the nation.

I don't even like the damn sound of the crowd during games there. It has this eerie echoey freakish quality about it.

Walmart of stadiums! I like that. It's kind of true...not exactly a college feel to that stadium.

I don't understand the Walmart thing. It's probably the nicest stadium in the history of humanity. Walmart is not very nice at all. If anything, it's the Taj Mahal of stadiums.

The Taj Mahal if it were taken over by a satanic cult that televised it's black masses each Sunday.

Walmart of stadiums! I like that. It's kind of true...not exactly a college feel to that stadium.

Thing is, NCAA doesn't want a "college" feel for their championships. They want a controlled atmosphere.

If I had to bet it will be a Jerry World year one. Then NOLA, Phoenix, Miami, Indy in any order.

I went to the 2010 Big 12 championship game down at Jerry World, and I was pretty impressed. That is an incredibly nice stadium. (The game itself required a pretty high dose of Xanax to get over, though.)

It's just a matter of personal preference. A good amount of people in Omaha will always pine for the old Rosenblatt experience, whereas I'd take the new ballpark any day of the week.

Hmmm... I'm having trouble with this one. Centrally located to whom? SEC teams? Kansas City is right in the middle of the United States! I vote for anywhere except Texas. It may be all that and a bag of chips but puke! Sorry my revulsion to all things Texas football is showing through. (I know...it will probably be the first choice especially since it's been bought and paid for by ESPN) I know I'm not being fair. Many of my relatives live there but....oh I do so strongly dislike TEXASS!

Central as in pretty close to halfway between the Atlantic and Pacific