Big Ten Coaches on the 'Hot Seat'

I thought this was interesting. Here's what they said about Bo:

"The only other two coaches to score above two points were Nebraska's Bo Pelini and Penn State's Bill O'Brien, who each received a 2.5 from Dodd. That puts them in the "safe, but you never know" category. Pelini has won 39 games in his first four years, though Huskers fans are getting tired of waiting for a conference title. O'Brien is following the legendary Joe Paterno. Still, it's hard to envision too many ways in which either could be fired after this season." http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten June 25th (you have to scroll down a little to see it)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/hotseat

• Fire 1

Please fix the link.

EDIT: Found where you got it...ESPN B1G Blog which links to CBS Sports CFB Hot Seats

Several BCS AQ Coaches are on the proverbial "hot seat" according to the article;

Frank Spaziani at Boston College

Randy Edsall at Maryland

Derek Dooley of Tennessee

John Smith of Arkansas

It doesn't list any Big Ten coaches as being in any particular danger.

KEY

0-.5 Can't be touched

1-1.5 Very Safe

2-2.5 Safe but you never know

3-3.5 On the bubble, feeling pressure

4-4.5 Warm seat, better start winning

5 Win or be fired (Only two - Dooley at UT and Smith at Arky)

Big Ten

Brady Hoke - Michigan - 0

Mark Dantonio - Michigan State - 0

Brett Bielema - Wisconsin 0

Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern .5

Urban Meyer - Ohio State .5

Kirk Ferentz - Iowa - 1.5

Tim Beckman - Illinois - 2

Bo Pelini - Nebraska - 2.5

Bill O'Brien - Penn State 2.5

Kevin Wilson - Indiana - 3

Jerry Kill - Minnesota - 3

Danny Hope - Purdue - 3.5

Overall I agree with the rankings.

I'm surprised to see Chip Kelly at 3 though...

I noticed the same thing about Chip Kelly...is that about the rumored NCAA violations that's supposed to be coming? I can't think of any other reason anyone in Oregon would be displeased about Oregon winning their first Rose bowl in 95 years...unless that's going to be taken away from them.

Kirk Ferentz - Iowa - 1.5

Tim Beckman - Illinois - 2

Bo Pelini - Nebraska - 2.5

Bill O'Brien - Penn State 2.5

Kevin Wilson - Indiana - 3

Jerry Kill - Minnesota - 3

Danny Hope - Purdue - 3.5

Ferentz at 1.5 while Pelini (2.5) is closer to Kevin Wilson and Jerry Kill (3.0)? Oh come on. Kevin Wilson and Jerry Kill--like Danny Hope--are all just hanging on by their fingernails. One bad season and they get the boot--most likely. Pelini is a lot more secure than those guys. I'd put him at, say, 1.0, maybe 1.5. He would probably need to tank for two years in a row to get fired. And by "tank" I mean sub .500 seasons. Pelini's security is closer to Dantonio and Brady Hoke than it is to Kevin Wilson and Jerry Kill.

As for Ferentz, I can believe him being at 1.5. Not that he's doing a great job. Or even a good job. But Iowa fans are apparently satisfied with the degree of sucktitude he brings them. I hope Iowa gives Ferentz a nice long extension. Mediocrity at its finest--for the foreseeable future.

• Fire 1

I get that NU fans don't like Iowa. Hell, even I don't like Iowa but admit it... Ferentz can coach. Hawkeye fans know that and are aware that being Iowa, they'll never have a huge stadium or get great recruits and probably will have difficulties attracting a premier coach. Ferentz is a continuation of Fry and the two of them put together are easily the best thing to happen to that school in the modern era. He brings them wins and the occasional big bowl, is great at developing talent and is one of the best at doing more with less. They'd be stupid to fire him.

I get that NU fans don't like Iowa. Hell, even I don't like Iowa but admit it... Ferentz can coach. Hawkeye fans know that and are aware that being Iowa, they'll never have a huge stadium or get great recruits and probably will have difficulties attracting a premier coach. Ferentz is a continuation of Fry and the two of them put together are easily the best thing to happen to that school in the modern era. He brings them wins and the occasional big bowl, is great at developing talent and is one of the best at doing more with less. They'd be stupid to fire him.

He is a good coach, but Iowa over pays him. Kirk makes almost a million more a year than Bo. Bo would be run out of town if Nebraska went 8-5 then 7-6 two seasons in a row.

• Fire 1

Ferentz at 1.5 while Pelini (2.5) is closer to Kevin Wilson and Jerry Kill (3.0)? Oh come on. Kevin Wilson and Jerry Kill--like Danny Hope--are all just hanging on by their fingernails. One bad season and they get the boot--most likely. Pelini is a lot more secure than those guys. I'd put him at, say, 1.0, maybe 1.5. He would probably need to tank for two years in a row to get fired. And by "tank" I mean sub .500 seasons. Pelini's security is closer to Dantonio and Brady Hoke than it is to Kevin Wilson and Jerry Kill.

He did his research on Pelini by reading Huskerboard and saw all the neigh - sayers

It's Dennis Dodd. He's made a career out of crap like this. Half the fans in the country are being told their coach is "on the hot seat" on local radio based on this article, they're all getting righteously indignant, and going to Sportsline to tell Dodd he's an idiot. Meanwhile, Dodd gets another 100,000 page views on his article and the win.

Dodd is simploy proving the maxim, "There's a sucker born every minute."

• Fire 2

Why would IU fire Kevin Wilson? He only gets two years to rebuild the worst team in the Big 10, little unrealistic much?

Why would KU fire Turner Gill? He only gets two years to rebuild the worst team in the Big 12?

FWIW, I don't think Kevin Wilson gets fired this year. Unless maybe he goes winless--which won't happen. I was just pointing out that schools (read: KU) sometimes act like ignorant jackasses expecting a coach to work miracles in turning around their crappy program.

I like Jerry Kill at Minn (I was really impressed with their game at USC last year). I think Wilson has bowl potential at IU. I have never been impressed with Hoke at Purdue. These three teams, along with Illinois need to step up and make the B1G a stronger conference.